And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by 8088 »

My point is, if you removed the obvious Dave references - keyboard, 'lookalike,' post production logos and bar scene - it could be footage for a Tampons advert or deodorant etc
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 16:14 My point is, if you removed the obvious Dave references - keyboard, 'lookalike,' post production logos and bar scene - it could be footage for a Tampons advert or deodorant etc
Yeh i get what your saying you do have a point.I myself being a fan would of done something very different too agreed,,but its the way they wanted to portray their tribute song to Dave and maybe at some point they might tell us their reasoning behind the vid with the car and the girl,but i do still like it its modern with Dave bits in it that the average joe or non stranglers fan would never pick up on,so on a two way level which is how this band has always operated with their songs in the past even way back to the Hugh days its a clever two way level vid that reminds me of their past way of thinking,but hey i could well be off the track who knows.

Post by 8088 »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 16:42 I myself being a fan would of done something very different too agreed
If it absolutely had to be a girl on the road in a convertible...I'd have had here wearing a Stranglers t-shirt and playing The Stranglers on the car stereo - at various points (lights/junctions stops) the soundtrack would fade so we could hear her playing Stranglers classics (Dave tracks or his solos)...and it would've made more sense if she was in London driving a Capri or Granada :grin:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

As cheesey vids go I don't think this is too bad. I'm glad it's kinda sublte and not crammed full of Dave-isms. Adds a certain charm and class about it IMO

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:19 As cheesey vids go I don't think this is too bad. I'm glad it's kinda sublte and not crammed full of Dave-isms. Adds a certain charm and class about it IMO

Jim
I find the Dave references as subtle as a brick through the window - the only one I didn't wince at was the Gospel reference at The Regent Theater.

I'm just bitter because they didn't run with If Something's Gonna Kill Me as the comeback single - which I find massively superior.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:19 As cheesey vids go I don't think this is too bad. I'm glad it's kinda sublte and not crammed full of Dave-isms. Adds a certain charm and class about it IMO

Jim
yes i think your right you don't need the vid to crammed full or sombre,it is sublte thats the word,which is what i think they have tried to do and have done well,would i have her driving the car no not really,but yeah is she had a t shirt with a stranglers logo on it or of dave himself, i agree it could of done with a little more of Dave himself,but saying that what they did do was good i thought.Maybe it would of been to much for them with pics of dave in the vid so we saw items that was associated to the hammond hero instead,who knows they thought it was right and i think its good.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Thinking on more about the vid, is there more in this vid that does relate to Dave than we might realise or have picked up on? i bet there is,i have often thought why the zoom in of the rings on her fingers? why that car it goes on, do any of these captured shots have any meaning to dave i would'nt know maybe there's lots.Maybe someone should list every little thing that's related to Dave i bet there's a lot of things for a 3 odd minute video.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:29

Jim
I find the Dave references as subtle as a brick through the window - the only one I didn't wince at was the Gospel reference at The Regent Theater.

I'm just bitter because they didn't run with If Something's Gonna Kill Me as the comeback single - which I find massively superior.
I think this release was a nod to dave near the anniversary, and not intended to be anything like a comeback single.

I think they release something more commercial nearer to the album release.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:44 ,i have often thought why the zoom in of the rings on her fingers?
Dave usually had loads of rings on his fingers, look at any footage of him playing.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

Post by 8088 »

Yanders wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:55 I think this release was a nod to dave near the anniversary, and not intended to be anything like a comeback single.
Yes - that makes sense.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 15:56
theraven1979 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:56 I don't think anyone thinks that do they? It's a nice nod to Dave but it would be impossible to try and cover all bases as he was so unique

Jim
8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:42 Why does everyone think this "perfectly captures" Dave?
yes i agree Jim,i don't think anybody thinks that too,its a tough one doing a tribute to someone you've known for such a long time,how do you convey everything that he represented in 3 odd minutes.I think the song itself is a good as a tribute to him that they could of done that JJ felt was right. Because he knew him he would obviously do a completly different song than i would of done not knowing him personally,i get that too and you can tell the unleft sadness and frustratration in the lyrics where things were left almost unfinished with the things that he would of liked to have said but never got the last chance too.So from JJ was it was a tribute song about how he has been left feeling too,i feel they got it as about as right as they could.The vid does have flickers and touches of Dave in it that i thought was very well thought out and done without it being to sombre or over the top,but to many Dave fans they may might not feel it was enough of a tribute vid.
Sir Dave was a bit of a petrol head, so thats why they had the car, but he also was interested in the Occult, had a motorbike some years ago, an interesting man to say the Least and a keyboard genius. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Personally, I find it difficult to get hot and bothered about a video I've watched a grand total of once.