And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by Ruby »

Well I have to be honest but I don't play it much at all.It's not that I don't like it, I do.Just that I don't find myself returning to it over and over.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I've reduced my listening to two a day now, it's not arf gawd though a lovely song. Lt Kudu.
bigrubberglove
Rats Rally

Post by bigrubberglove »

The song got played here on Monday. To hear it, go to where there is 39:10 remaining in the show:

http://bigtakeover.com/radio/TheBigTake ... ditionLXII
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

bigrubberglove wrote: 27 May 2021, 05:17 The song got played here on Monday. To hear it, go to where there is 39:10 remaining in the show:

Yeh good listen, nice him saying its a touching tribute to Dave from the remaining band members.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 27 May 2021, 21:41
bigrubberglove wrote: 27 May 2021, 05:17 The song got played here on Monday. To hear it, go to where there is 39:10 remaining in the show:

Yeh good listen, nice him saying its a touching tribute to Dave from the remaining band members.
Sir its a lovely song, we are all awaiting your JJ poem, no. Pressure as you have set the bar high. Lt Keys Kudu :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 May 2021, 18:08

Sir its a lovely song, we are all awaiting your JJ poem, no. Pressure as you have set the bar high. Lt Keys Kudu :smt005
i know that's just it i'am really working on it trying to make it a good one after Hughs poem, will post it when its finished though....
JJ Burnel... Le Maitre Musicien.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 May 2021, 21:55
i know that's just it i'am really working on it trying to make it a good one after Hughs poem, will post it when its finished though....
it been the hardest one to do but i think the best one yet, i've just got to put it all in some sort of finished order and chuck some out to complete it for posting,maybe another week or so.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 May 2021, 15:13
toilerinblack wrote: 28 May 2021, 21:55

it been the hardest one to do but i think the best one yet, i've just got to put it all in some sort of finished order and chuck some out to complete it for posting,maybe another week or so.
Looking forward to it.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

When I think of Dave, I think of an English eccentric - a brainiac fiddling with synths, computers and gadgets.

I see him programming his Psion organiser in the studio or pen in hand clutching a puzzle book or dressed in chain-mail as a saxon foot soldier.

I also think of boiler suits, Sherlock Holmes style pipes, cool 80s leather jackets, pentagrams and the occult.

What I don't think of is a floaty Boho babe driving down a yankee boulevard in a convertible, filmed through faux retro Instagram filters that were all the rage 10 years ago.

Why does everyone think this "perfectly captures" Dave?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't think anyone thinks that do they? It's a nice nod to Dave but it would be impossible to try and cover all bases as he was so unique

Jim
8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:42 Why does everyone think this "perfectly captures" Dave?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:56 I don't think anyone thinks that do they? It's a nice nod to Dave but it would be impossible to try and cover all bases as he was so unique

Jim
8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:42 Why does everyone think this "perfectly captures" Dave?
I've seen it said so many times on youtube.

It's not a case of a checklist of "Daveisms" (as per video - rats, shoulder bag, keyboard) - it's the overall feel - which I think is a million miles from his persona projected in the band.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:56 I don't think anyone thinks that do they? It's a nice nod to Dave but it would be impossible to try and cover all bases as he was so unique

Jim
yes i agree Jim,i don't think anybody thinks that too,its a tough one doing a tribute to someone you've known for such a long time,how do you convey everything that he represented in 3 odd minutes.I think the song itself is a good as a tribute to him that they could of done that JJ felt was right. Because he knew him he would obviously do a completly different song than i would of done not knowing him personally,i get that too and you can tell the unleft sadness and frustratration in the lyrics where things were left almost unfinished with the things that he would of liked to have said but never got the last chance too.So from JJ was it was a tribute song about how he has been left feeling too,i feel they got it as about as right as they could.The vid does have flickers and touches of Dave in it that i thought was very well thought out and done without it being to sombre or over the top,but to many Dave fans they may might not feel it was enough of a tribute vid.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 11 Jun 2021, 16:33, edited 6 times in total.