The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Post by Greatkudu »

OK a rather pointless thread as its all opinions, but saw a documentary about the Jam last night and after they showed Rockpalast from 1980,and to be honest it bored me, I fell asleep, it got me thinking, I think they were vastly overrated, of course some great songs but generally just very samey, I was comparing the Stranglers Rockpalast 1983 performance and even though its not the best performance it blows away the Jam in every way and of course you have Hugh and his infamous banter, Weller just had no character or charisma, but just my thoughts as so many people rage about the Jam to me, sadly I just don't get it. Lt Kudu over and out.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Post by Boody »

I never understood the appeal of the Jam - songs a bit samey and cold to my hairy old ears. Each to their own though. As I always say however, life would be very boring if everyone had the same taste in music-we would probably all end up listening to ABBA and Robbie Williams.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Hi yes your right, to be fair a few cracking songs, but just rather dull, so many people keep on saying oh the Jam just amazing, each to their own, and Foxton a good bass player and Rick great drummer, it's all the mod shit that gets on my wick as the Jam were playing to Punks at the start,it gave them an audience, bit like the Stranglers but stranglers were far more interesting as a unit and the characters in the band, the oddest bunch of blokes you could ever have in a band, nothing in common but made great music, as for the Jam yes Eton Rifles a classic and David Camerons fave song, as Weller said what didn't he get, as it was a dig at the Etonians not a compliment.Col Kudu off ops in sticks.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

The Jam made a lot of great songs but they couldn't match the sheer repertoire of the Stranglers. But then who really could from that era ?

There are some similarities to the Stranglers that cannot be ignored imo ie the bass sound and their reluctance and /or inability to crack America. They were just "too English", a bit like The Stranglers although here there was also a "Europeaness" you could argue, which again gave the the Strangs another twist that was missing in The Jam.

I don't know how the Jam faired in Europe, does anyone know ?

Stranglers did quite well in northern Europe at least...

I didn't care much for the "mod style" wearing suits on stage etc. Then again as a fan said on the programme "I was never really into wearing safety pins... "

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:24 The Jam made a lot of great songs but they couldn't match the sheer repertoire of the Stranglers. But then who really could from that era ?

There are some similarities to the Stranglers that cannot be ignored imo ie the bass sound and their reluctance and /or inability to crack America. They were just "too English", a bit like The Stranglers although here there was also a "Europeaness" you could argue, which again gave the the Strangs another twist that was missing in The Jam.

I don't know how the Jam faired in Europe, does anyone know ?

Stranglers did quite well in northern Europe at least...

I didn't care much for the "mod style" wearing suits on stage etc. Then again as a fan said on the programme "I was never really into wearing safety pins... "

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Yes interesting points, and I don't think the Jam liked America, in fact when going underground went to num 1 in UK, they were on usa tour and cancelled rest of tour to come back and go on TOTPs. Its their lack of sophistication to, stranglers were very English but of course JJ provided the European twist, and maybe Hugh to as he is a quarter french,vive la France. Monsieur Kudu.
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

They were a very credible band though, made serious money and Weller has forged a huge solo career that Hugh wanted but can only dream off!
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

The Jam were iconic ... much more then The Stranglers tbh,they were the voice of our youth.Its a shame they split up when they did ... but at least they ain't flogging a dead horse because of it.

Only ever seen them once 'Live' but I'll never forget the excitement as a 17year old, a lot memorable than a lot of Stranglers gigs I attended.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Wow very controversial, but I never saw the Jam love, I think i would describe the Stranglers as pretty iconic. Lt Kudu.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

The thing with very early punk is that there wasn't a uniform . Forget the clothes and the Jam were punk through and through . Great singles band and unlike The Clash , Weller knew when to call it a day , when the band were heading into sounds that weren't The Jam. Punk, mod or whatever......great band .
All quiet ..........
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Jon the Impaler wrote:The thing with very early punk is that there wasn't a uniform . Forget the clothes and the Jam were punk through and through . Great singles band and unlike The Clash , Weller knew when to call it a day , when the band were heading into sounds that weren't The Jam. Punk, mod or whatever......great band .
I think you’ve got a great point about Weller and his sense of timing - disbanding The Jam before they became stale.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I haven't got much of their stuff but they had some great singles. Definitely not boring. I just find the Stranglers sound far more interesting!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Agree sir. Lt Kudu.