Who is britians best ever punk band!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Who is britians best ever punk band!

Post by toilerinblack »

The other day i saw on google news a headline talking about the damned calling them brtians best ever punk band..really?
For me the one true punk band that stands out head and shoulders above the rest has to be the pistols.The stranglers apart from the first three abums were never really a punk band even though many thought that they were with a name like theirs, but i'd say they were overall britians best new wave band. Dont get me wrong i like the damned and have seen them live a few times but in my opinion i would never say they were britians best ever punk band they are up there though overall behind the pistols and are still a very good live act i've always liked curtain call .... a masterpiece in itself.
Who would you say is the best ever punk band ?
Last edited by toilerinblack on 27 Oct 2020, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Who is britians best ever punk band!

Post by aldinblack »

Well if the Stranglers were "punk" for the first 3 albums then they were the best ever without a doubt !

If they were never punk then I don't know. I liked the Pistols but they didn't do a lot, only what 1 or 2 albums ? But yes their sound was great.

What about the other big 2 ie Jam & Clash ? Were they punk in the beginning ? I suppose back then I thought they were..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The Damned had better songs than the pistols, and they were less manufactured/managed.

If punk is about music, I'd say The Damned are probably one, if not, the best British punk band.

If the best is about publicly, controversy and inspiring other musicians, it's probably the pistols. And there no denying that never mind the bollocks is the best known and best selling punk album. But that doesn't mean they were the best musically.
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

aldinblack wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 11:05 Well if the Stranglers were "punk" for the first 3 albums then they were the best ever without a doubt !

If they were never punk then I don't know. I liked the Pistols but they didn't do a lot, only what 1 or 2 albums ? But yes their sound was great.

What about the other big 2 ie Jam & Clash ? Were they punk in the beginning ? I suppose back then I thought they were..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Same here regarding the first three albums. Better musically by a counry mile. As for the Pistols, as exciting as they were they were'nt around for long. Personally i could never get into the Clash for some reason, also for me the Jam's earlier stuff was ok but were they punk?..for me the Damned are up there so they get my shout, with a very close call second going to the Buzzcocks. There were a lot of good bands around at the time..Banshees, UK Subs, Lurkers who to this day i would rather watch in a dingy club than watch a stadium show super group from two miles away. God i miss them days. Also a mention to SLF and Angelis Upstarts.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Who cares? The way that I see it is that 1976-1982 was a very fertile period in Britain for great new music, and that there was a surplus of great stuff going on to counteract the shit that was being made. Debates about which bands were/were not "punk" remain comfortably a zillion times more boring than the music itself (which isn't) ...
teshka
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by teshka »

Well the first 2 Stranglers albums were punk and far outshone others with their musical prowess. But that really wasn't the point of punk was it? Black and White was post punk I would say. Never had a lot of time for The Pistols though I liked their music but their attitude was deliberately confrontational without substance. I preferred bands like The Buzzcocks and Undertones with their pop punk, The Damned for their style or The Lurkers with their energy. The Clash passed me by at the time but looking back they clearly produced some great punk songs. Never thought of The Jam or The Police as punk though.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I've heard so many different reasons for what the point of punk was/is that it pretty much renders any debate over what was/is "punk" pointless.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Just opinions people forget about bands like the Addicts a totally unique Punk band. Lt Kudu.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Nolan Sisters
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Frederik wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 00:04Nolan Sisters
Well yes we all know they were the original Punks, actually they are a tough and scary bunch, I saw totp documentary where they said they wanted to punch the skids as they were misbehaving on the totp set, and the Nolans thought they were rude, a scary bunch of women? The late Bernie could sing the rest oh dear. I bet you wished you hadn't of mentioned them now? Lt Kudu, not in the mood for dancing or romancing. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The bands first three albums were in my opinion head and shoulders above anything else punk or new wave between 77-81.
The damned were and are still great at what they did and do and i thought they did an amazing cover of Elouise but the stranglers did too with their walk on by but yeh for me they were the two leading bands who have lasted the length of time. The Banshees were great and have seen them live and STL.
I did Love the jam too but they were never punk but never the less they were fantastic at what they did and their vocalist replacement for paul was a very good choice that works very well and above all still gives them that sound the jam had and considering pauls vocals isnt the easiest to cover but fair play to bruce and the band for they found the perfect replacement i think for paul unlike the stranglers post hugh and Paul Weller has gone on and had a great and well deserved solo career too.The pistols were on their own at what they did but wernt around to long but did gain their huge success through image rather than their music ability for me and had the cleverness to be a to be able to draw attention to themselves along with banned albums and singles which only made people go out and buy their material even more resulting with a no.1 single in god save the queen which wouldnt get any airplay anywhere...amazing, but their success was short lived but i still love the way they opened the brixton gig in 2007 in an electric atmosphere where they just walked straight in on stage from the street with the traffic behind them and opened the gig with an explosive pretty vacant with steves guitar opener which sent the audience crazy..lol
But overall yes i agree the two heavyweights that have lasted the length of time is both for me ...The Stranglers first and second The damned.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes so many greats, really surprised no one has mentioned the Ramones, I know they had standoff outside Dingwalls with JJ and Co, but what a band, my vote would go to the Ramones, just changed everything, sadly I only saw them once in dusseldorf in 88 supporting the Stranglers, sadly they were a bit off that night, the Stranglers were great, I wish dom had recording of that gig. Lt Kudu.