The Who possibly greatest live band ever at their peak?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Who possibly greatest live band ever at their peak?

Post by Greatkudu »

OK Stranglers my fave band obviously and at their peak the best live band ever IMHO, but a close second must be the Who? Just watched, won't get fooled again in 1978 in Shepperton, sadly this was Keith Moons last gig before he died, so sad, am amazing drummer, if you think he wasnt, just try playing won't get fooled again, you won't get close to replicating Keith's insane drumming, he played all the notes along with Townshend, but the whole band were amazing, a bit like the Stranglers in a way, nothing in common with each other but made great music, after Keith died they were never as good again, Kenny Jones ex faces took over on drums but he had a more traditional structured style which didn't suit the who, when the Stranglers supported the who in 1979 at Wembley, the Stranglers got the best reviews, but at their peak the who were fucking amazing. Lt Kudu on Op Passerina.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: The Who possibly greatest live band ever at their peak?

Post by Boody »

Saw the Who at Charlton Athletic in 1976. They were phenomenal- as was the Alex Harvey Band supporting them.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Their live peak was "Live at Leeds" era surely?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Boody wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 23:03 They were phenomenal- as was the Alex Harvey Band supporting them.
Surely they were sensational, rather than phenomenal? :)
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 23:03 Saw the Who at Charlton Athletic in 1976. They were phenomenal- as was the Alex Harvey Band supporting them.
Wow lucky man. Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 20:23 OK Stranglers my fave band obviously and at their peak the best live band ever IMHO, but a close second must be the Who? Just watched, won't get fooled again in 1978 in Shepperton, sadly this was Keith Moons last gig before he died, so sad, am amazing drummer, if you think he wasnt, just try playing won't get fooled again, you won't get close to replicating Keith's insane drumming, he played all the notes along with Townshend, but the whole band were amazing, a bit like the Stranglers in a way, nothing in common with each other but made great music, after Keith died they were never as good again, Kenny Jones ex faces took over on drums but he had a more traditional structured style which didn't suit the who, when the Stranglers supported the who in 1979 at Wembley, the Stranglers got the best reviews, but at their peak the who were fucking amazing. Lt Kudu on Op Passerina.
I’ll have to disagree with you, they weren’t possibly the greatest live band at their peak, they were the greatest live band at their peak. No other band came close.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 15:40
Greatkudu wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 20:23 OK Stranglers my fave band obviously and at their peak the best live band ever IMHO, but a close second must be the Who? Just watched, won't get fooled again in 1978 in Shepperton, sadly this was Keith Moons last gig before he died, so sad, am amazing drummer, if you think he wasnt, just try playing won't get fooled again, you won't get close to replicating Keith's insane drumming, he played all the notes along with Townshend, but the whole band were amazing, a bit like the Stranglers in a way, nothing in common with each other but made great music, after Keith died they were never as good again, Kenny Jones ex faces took over on drums but he had a more traditional structured style which didn't suit the who, when the Stranglers supported the who in 1979 at Wembley, the Stranglers got the best reviews, but at their peak the who were fucking amazing. Lt Kudu on Op Passerina.
I’ll have to disagree with you, they weren’t possibly the greatest live band at their peak, they were the greatest live band at their peak. No other band came close.
Yes well I was playing devil's advocate, just watched them at live aid or clip, doing won't get fooled again, very good but not as good without moonie, they fuck up song but carry on, still good though. Lt Kudu enjoying real Kenyan coffee in suburbs of Salisbury.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Obviously the Stranglers are my favourite band since 1977. However, the best band I have seen live are AC/DC. This was even on the 82 tour with Brian Johnson s crap vocals. If you watch live vids of AC/DC on the 78 Let There Be Rock tour then that is the greatest live band. As a support band, they continually blew a lot of headline bands off stage including Deep Purple. Also the Jimi Hendrix Experience in 68 were awesome. Furthermore, I would urge anyone to go and see another great live band, The Chameleons.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I'd say The Who's live peak would have been 1969-1971... basically the era encompassing Woodstock, Live at Leeds, Who's Next etc., although Quadrophenia is my favourite album of theirs. Keith Moon was a great drummer when he was on form, but was capable of some terrible playing.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

As the old saying goes “Your as only as good as your drummer”
No matter how good you are on your instrument if your drummer is shit then you and the whole band will sound shit.

Most musicians follow the drummer and bassist - the rhythm section but one of the things that’s fascinating about The Who is that they all followed Pete Townshend, a phenomenal rhythm guitar player.
The Who just seemed to have something special, some kinda ESP Witchcraft or something going on there.
Live At Leeds gets mentioned all the time as one of the best live albums buts that’s simply because it is, anyone who hasn’t heard it needs to do so ASAP.
I’ve not heard another band who could be that tight yet so free in their playing.

I was unfortunately too young to see Moon The Loon but I got to see em when The Ox was still with em, what a bass player! and again with just Roger & Pete.
I desperately wanted to go and see em at Wembley when The Stranglers supported them but again I was too young.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 19:23 As the old saying goes “Your as only as good as your drummer”
No matter how good you are on your instrument if your drummer is shit then you and the whole band will sound shit.

Most musicians follow the drummer and bassist - the rhythm section but one of the things that’s fascinating about The Who is that they all followed Pete Townshend, a phenomenal rhythm guitar player.
The Who just seemed to have something special, some kinda ESP Witchcraft or something going on there.
Live At Leeds gets mentioned all the time as one of the best live albums buts that’s simply because it is, anyone who hasn’t heard it needs to do so ASAP.
I’ve not heard another band who could be that tight yet so free in their playing.

I was unfortunately too young to see Moon The Loon but I got to see em when The Ox was still with em, what a bass player! and again with just Roger & Pete.

I desperately wanted to go and see em at Wembley when The Stranglers supported them but again I was too young.
Live At Leeds. I've heard that one mentioned too. I don't know it myself.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 20:22
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 19:23 As the old saying goes “Your as only as good as your drummer”

Live At Leeds. I've heard that one mentioned too. I don't know it myself.
Stop listening to Coldplay then and buy yourself a copy of Live At Leeds.
Philistines eh?