Music Industry Nicknames

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Music Industry Nicknames

Post by Niki Wu »

I'm quite intrigued by the nicknames musicians give one another. I only know of a few so maybe I could start off

Pete Townshend AKA Trousers
Mick Jagger AKA Brenda
Elton John AKA Sharon
Gary Glitter AKA Terry Tinsel ( this one is not strictly true as it was just a name suggested by flatmate Ron Wood before hitting on Gary Glitter)
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Music Industry Nicknames

Post by droopsnoot »

Isn't it only Rod Stewart that refers to Elton John as "Sharon"? Elton calls Rod "Phyllis", apparently, when they phone each other up to chat.

Hugh apparently used to give nicknames to people, Chrissie Hynde-leg was one, and Loose Windscreen was Bruce Springsteen.

I can't imagine modern artists dare to give each other nicknames, given the modern propensity for taking offence at the slightest thing, however well-meant.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

droopsnoot wrote: 08 May 2020, 10:05 Isn't it only Rod Stewart that refers to Elton John as "Sharon"? Elton calls Rod "Phyllis", apparently, when they phone each other up to chat.

Hugh apparently used to give nicknames to people, Chrissie Hynde-leg was one, and Loose Windscreen was Bruce Springsteen.

I can't imagine modern artists dare to give each other nicknames, given the modern propensity for taking offence at the slightest thing, however well-meant.
Is there a Tracey or is that just Reg talking to himself?
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

droopsnoot wrote: 08 May 2020, 10:05 Hugh apparently used to give nicknames to people, Chrissie Hynde-leg was one, and Loose Windscreen was Bruce Springsteen.

Loose Windscreen :lol:
Mind you I think it was the Stranglers who had a drummer called Jet Black.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yeah, Loose Windscreen is a gem :lol: Wasn't it Keith Richards that came up with the name Brenda in the early '80s when Mick was starting to pay more attention to a solo career? I know it was used by the band to slag Mick off behind his back.

To digress, my favourite Stones story is the one when - while staying at a hotel in the '80s - Mick and Keith had been having a few drinks when Mick, absolutely hammered, called Charlie Watts' room demanding to know where his drummer was, thus waking him up. Charlie apparently got up, shaved, got suited and booted, aftershave on etc., walked over to Mick and punched him square in the face shouting "DON'T YOU EVER CALL ME YOUR DRUMMER AGAIN, YOU'RE MY FUCKING SINGER!" before heading off back to bed. Classy.