Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Bands you disliked but are now quite a fan of

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Sex Gang Children

My mate was constantly playing them at me back in the 80’s & 90’s, eventually I did become a fan of their music but jeez that Andi Sex Gangs voice is definitely an acquired taste!
Anyway 30+ years on we went to see them in Leeds just over a week ago and I was thoroughly impressed. Amongst over songs they played the entire ‘Song and Legend’ album including such wonderful songs as ‘Sebastiane’ ‘Abyss’ ‘Song & Legend’ and some other faves. A top gig.

Btw I’m still surprised they’ve got the balls to still use that band name! A bit dodgy innit? Certainly could not magine any bands using any names like that nowadays!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Bands you disliked but are now quite a fan of

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Can't actually think of any .
Bands I hated include :
UB40
Annie Lennox or anything to do with
Olly Murs
Dexy's
Maybe a few others a bit less , but overall - I still HATE them all.
All quiet ..........
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I seem to pretty much hate everything I hear on the radio these days!
zamaguire
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zamaguire »

Killing joke
Hated early stuff, but boy didn't they improve.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

zamaguire wrote: 27 May 2019, 18:52 Killing joke
Yes I agree they have got better and better.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

zamaguire wrote: 27 May 2019, 18:52 Killing joke
I liked them early on , but from Pandemonium onwards they have been superb on the whole .
All quiet ..........
Sinister
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sinister »

Muse, I used to dislike them (mainly the singers voice) until I came across a 'greatest hits compilation' which I played a few times and gradually began to quite like them.
Whooo's there in the shadows
teshka
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by teshka »

ABBA. Thought they were naff in the 70's. My wife loves them and I have grown to appreciate their melodies and song writing skills. Off to the ABBA museum this summer in Stockholm. Imagine a Stranglers museum where you can take the place of Hugh Cornwell and sing along with a hologram JJ.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

teshka wrote:ABBA. Thought they were naff in the 70's. My wife loves them and I have grown to appreciate their melodies and song writing skills. Off to the ABBA museum this summer in Stockholm. Imagine a Stranglers museum where you can take the place of Hugh Cornwell and sing along with a hologram JJ.
interestingly Anna were my favourite group when I was a young kid like 10/11 years old. One of my school mates made me a tape of Abba's greatest hits and I just played it over & over, then got into a few of their other albums too.

But then later in life I went through the naff stage which has lasted for maybe 35 years, then more recently like you I've begun to realise that they actually made the perfect pop songs...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 27 May 2019, 15:50 I seem to pretty much hate everything I hear on the radio these days!
I used to, but I find a lot of it is growing on me. I listen to Radio 1 while I'm working on the car, and it's surprising how much they play that I don't dislike. There's still a lot that I do of course, but plenty of it is quite good now. Not sure whether that's my taste (or tolerance) that's changing, or the type of music that's around now compared to a few years ago.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

droopsnoot wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 09:19
jason wrote: 27 May 2019, 15:50 I seem to pretty much hate everything I hear on the radio these days!
I used to, but I find a lot of it is growing on me. I listen to Radio 1 while I'm working on the car, and it's surprising how much they play that I don't dislike. There's still a lot that I do of course, but plenty of it is quite good now. Not sure whether that's my taste (or tolerance) that's changing, or the type of music that's around now compared to a few years ago.
Yeah Radio 1 is shite, I just can’t relate anymore to any of the shite music it plays, much prefer Radio 4!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Suede and Brett, their bottom slapping camp singer who looked like a girl, hated them but ‘Coming Up’ has become one of my fave albums of the 90’s, it’s fanfuckingtastic!