new damned album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sewer rat
Rats Rally

Re: new damned album

Post by sewer rat »

I started this particular thread and my review was extremely negative. but after many listens to the album, I've taken at face value and tried not to compare the songs to their other songs. I have to say, that now, the album has grown on me. procrastination is still a waste of breath but I like more songs now than I did when I first listened to it. after 10 years and having paul gray back in the band, I, and probably most damned fans, were expecting too much. their European tour is a disaster though....a new album to promote and their new bass player can't play any songs from it....crazy.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I like it- I think 7/10 is about right. Also a more enjoyable live proposition- more unpredictable - than the mighty MIB. And... having seen them ten times this year, I do believe no two sets have been the same. And as a bonus, I saw Pidge at Southampton on Wednesday!
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Surely this isn't going to be their last album is it? I think someone said on here it would be.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

They were excellent in Belfast on Saturday night. Shame they weren't headlining instead of godawful Slf. I lasted five songs before leaving,
rotten thoughts
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

when i first heard it - i was really disappointed - i think the production is 'tinny' and some of the songs that are so good live just sound blah on the record .
So to now - its grown on me - still dont like the production at all - sonar deceit , evil sprints & standing are good songs that IMO could have been so much better with a beefier production - ive only been listening when on my bike so earphones - its not as good as grave disorder & i personally prefer SWP? but its a 7/10 that could have been much more - off to see them in Boston in Oct
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Still think this is a fine album,shame they only do three songs from it live at the moment.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 15:50 Still think this is a fine album,shame they only do three songs from it live at the moment.
Four...now they've done 'I Don't Care' a couple of times.
ManInBrown
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Rockula wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 15:22
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 15:50 Still think this is a fine album,shame they only do three songs from it live at the moment.
Four...now they've done 'I Don't Care' a couple of times.
Yes but they only play 3 at gigs,would love to hear more.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

jason wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 23:31 Surely this isn't going to be their last album is it? I think someone said on here it would be.
Time is ticking on for all bands of this era , chances are that any band releasing an album now would be its last album , given the time in between albums for any of them - The Stranglers now going on 6 years or so . Even Killing Joke have slowed down of late . Not sure of the time gap between Damned albums but it is likely the last , unless there's something hidden up their sleeve .
On the subject of this one - I still like it but have got bored a bit with it . Good songs , but they are all of the psychedelic Damned sound rather than the punk sound . It is good without doubt , but like I say I have got a bit bored with some songs - a few I skip now .
All quiet ..........
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

During the recording it was said that they had about 22 new songs and they whittled it down to 10 for the release.

I don't know whether the other 12 were recorded or even good enough to record.

But some mention was made of unreleased songs making it to singles or maybe E.P.s at a later date.

I expect there'll be at least two more 'live' albums until we find out... :lol:
ManInBrown
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Rockula wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 16:57 During the recording it was said that they had about 22 new songs and they whittled it down to 10 for the release.

I don't know whether the other 12 were recorded or even good enough to record.

But some mention was made of unreleased songs making it to singles or maybe E.P.s at a later date.

I expect there'll be at least two more 'live' albums until we find out... :lol:
The Stranglers must be due another live release - hasn't been one for what ........ 4 or 5 years ?
I remember when X-Certs was the only one and everyone was clamouring for another ( official ) , then along came "Live and all of the night " . Next official was probably the Saturday night , Sunday Morning ......ever since then though they've been fairly regular . Its funny that there are probably more official Paul Roberts live one's than Hugh one's , even more Baz than Hugh possibly , if you count where he was guitar only ( haven't checked , just guessing ) .
All quiet ..........
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Feel it live was the last one.