Moderator: StanInBlack

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Dave's gear through time

Post by Frederik »

This site lists artists gear with example videos
http://equipboard.com/pros/dave-greenfield

anyone know what woodblocks the band have used?
Sinister
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Dave's gear through time

Post by Sinister »

Those Yamaha CS1X he uses now are brilliant, you can do so much with them and only cost around £200 8)
Whooo's there in the shadows
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Daves KEYBOARDS! Don't get me started!
That is my one and only gripe with The Stranglers.

Here they are on top form, playing great, enjoying themselves, selling out gigs and making I assume a fair amount of dosh, yet they can't afford to buy Dave some decent equipment.

I think we all know and have known for quite a few years now that Daves keyboards sound absolutely SHITE live.
Why the hell hasn't Dave got some proper top of the range-state of the art Synthesizers?
A couple of Korg's? a few Moog's? a Nord? etc

If you compared it, it would be like JJ having a shite £75 bass knock off and a £40 crap solid state transistor bass combo, same with Baz too, they've both got decent gear so why the fuck hasn't Dave?

It really pisses me off, cos here we have IMHO the -

BEST KEYBOARD PLAYER IN THE BUSINESS EVER

- and his equipment is total and utter shite.
The mind boggles I tell thi.
:smt013 :smt017 :-? :smt021 :smt009

Come back Mr Organ Grinder, Could do with your expert opinion here mate, cheers.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 23 May 2018, 04:14 Daves KEYBOARDS! Don't get me started!
That is my one and only gripe with The Stranglers.

Here they are on top form, playing great, enjoying themselves, selling out gigs and making I assume a fair amount of dosh, yet they can't afford to buy Dave some decent equipment.

I think we all know and have known for quite a few years now that Daves keyboards sound absolutely SHITE live.
Why the hell hasn't Dave got some proper top of the range-state of the art Synthesizers?
A couple of Korg's? a few Moog's? a Nord? etc

If you compared it, it would be like JJ having a shite £75 bass knock off and a £40 crap solid state transistor bass combo, same with Baz too, they've both got decent gear so why the fuck hasn't Dave?

It really pisses me off, cos here we have IMHO the -

BEST KEYBOARD PLAYER IN THE BUSINESS EVER

- and his equipment is total and utter shite.
The mind boggles I tell thi.
:smt013 :smt017 :-? :smt021 :smt009

Come back Mr Organ Grinder, Could do with your expert opinion here mate, cheers.
Would like to hear Dave's answer to your comment. Can't believe that Mr. Greenfield plays on shit equipment, especially because there's no necessary. Of course he can use the equipment which he finds the proper and excellent one for his playing.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

(I'd like to preface this comment with "I know nothing about keyboards", which may become apparent to those of you who do.)

But I thought that the keyboards Dave plays live are just to control rack-mounted synths, so the sound quality and output isn't anything to do with the keyboards themselves?

And didn't Dave say fairly recently that the choice of keyboard is down to a limited number of manufacturers offering a five-octave board? Something like that, anyway.

It would be interested to hear Dave's comments on this, and lots of other things besides this. I am also disappointed by the sounds that come out of the keyboards on stage, but I think that's more down to Dave wanting to update the keys to sound a bit more "modern", which just frustrates me as I don't necessarily want to hear that. He would probably say "well listen to the album then".
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

On reflection a bit harsh perhaps as I don't have all the technical facts of Daves set-up. I've stopped looking at Daves equipment to be honest, I'm always stood on JJ's side anyway. Think last time I looked Dave had some CME UF6? midi controllers and a Yamaha synth? but not sure what he's got in his rackmount system. I just feel Dave doesn't sound as amazing as he did back in the 70's/80's, there's none of that 'Phat Analogue' synth sound, it's just - to use a technical term, all a bit 'Plinky Plonky'?
:roll:
Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Damian »

Dave uses novation and Roland Phantom XR rackmounts it is basically a rackmount version of the phantom X8

OMD use Phantom X8's but they bought all the old synths that they took the samples from and they did this note by note, I think the prob with Dave's sound is the base sample and the fact that it is digital opposed to Analogue. Also I think Baz guitars drown out Dave's keyboards sometime.

Keep meaning to post a larger article/opinion about this.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 25 May 2018, 00:38 I just feel Dave doesn't sound as amazing as he did back in the 70's/80's, there's none of that 'Phat Analogue' synth sound, it's just - to use a technical term, all a bit 'Plinky Plonky'?
:roll:
I'd agree to an extent. Certainly if they do something like "Nuclear Device" with the big fat chords in the chorus, it doesn't sound as good. It sounds better than it has, but not as good as it used to be.

I'm sure they could make it sound the same if they wanted to, especially for that kind of stuff.

Slightly back to topic, I had a look at that site and it's all user-contributed information, some of the keyboards listed for Dave have someone else saying he's never used them.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Most recent one I can find: http://stranglers-ratter.blogspot.co.uk ... pment.html

Maybe Dave should do an update, if it's changed much.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Whatever he uses now, they sound shite.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Homer wrote: 25 May 2018, 19:56 Whatever he uses now, they sound shite.
I've said for a while - the keyboard sound sometimes sounds like its being played under water .....it can be horrendous , which is a shame when you come to classic keyboard solo's live and you get that horrid gurgling sound . Didn't know the cost but I can only assume its Dave's choice , he obviously thinks it can do the job and sound good ..... I think maybe with age he needs a hearing test or hearing aid these days . £200 isn't a lot to pay for something these days , I would think double that and you get far better , and even £400 is cheap compared to what many bands would spend on their equipment .
Its an odd one , but Dave has always been a bit of an enigma .
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

£200 / £400 or even a few thousand can't be a problem for a successful touring musician at that level.

If there is a sound problem it's gotta be due to something else not money surely ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !