"The Undertones" what a great band IMHO.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"The Undertones" what a great band IMHO.

Post by Greatkudu »

I saw a documentary the other day about Derry's finest "The Undertones" I had forgotten what a good band they were,great melody with a sense of

humour and totally down to earth,Only saw them once with Feargal Sharkey back in 1982 at "Pool Arts Centre" a really good gig I have to say,they broke

up in 1983,and reformed minus Feargal in 1999 with Paul mcloone on vocals,saw them one with him,still great band but Feargal just had such a unique

voice just hard to accept,but you could say that about "The Stranglers" to,it's sad that Feargal almost seems to want to forget his time in "The Undertones.

A real shame as he helped produce some of the finest pop punk tunes you will ever hear.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: "The Undertones" what a great band IMHO.

Post by Yanders »

I agree, The undertones were fantastic. I still listen to them quite a bit because they always come up on random play on my google thing. They had a string of perfect hits, but I remember not being too impressed with Feargals solo stuff. And I've just read that he's moved (very successful) in to management.

Does the new singer sound like Feargal? I don't really know what the best strategy is, going for a new singer with a similar voice, or just go with a new sound. I just can't imagine 'my perfect cousin' sung by anyone else.
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

I went to see The Undertones in the Tramshed in Cardiff recently, and they were brilliant. Good energy, loads of songs from their first album and the obvious singles, and the lead singer was spot on. As said previously, perfect pop songs. they are well worth going to see live if you get the chance.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 17:33 I agree, The undertones were fantastic. I still listen to them quite a bit because they always come up on random play on my google thing. They had a string of perfect hits, but I remember not being too impressed with Feargals solo stuff. And I've just read that he's moved (very successful) in to management.

Does the new singer sound like Feargal? I don't really know what the best strategy is, going for a new singer with a similar voice, or just go with a new sound. I just can't imagine 'my perfect cousin' sung by anyone else.
No nothing like Feargal,still very good live band though,Feargal just had one of the most unique voices I have heard,he still makes money from the band though with rights etc,but would never ever rejoin not even for one song.
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

Saw them live in their heyday and they were excellent. Played Teenage Kicks three times because they had run put of songs.
Third encore was delayed - Feargal announced they had to wait on the drummer. "He needed a shite." When he finally ran back on stage, "Did you remember to wipe your bum properly?"
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

As it says on the sleeve: "The Undertones are shit".
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I saw that, it's been on before but it's quite interesting. I was surprised that Feargal wasn't in the documentary, is he so annoyed with the remaining members that he won't participate, or is he just "busy"? I also hadn't realised that he didn't write any part of any of the songs, so I'm not sure how much he'll get from them still performing.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall