Worse Stranglers "career move"

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Worse Stranglers "career move"

Following up Golden Brown with La Folie
39%
Sweet Smell Of Success
3%
"American's have smaller brains"
4%
Aural Sculpture
3%
To continue after Hugh
14%
Euro-dismal
1%
Getting on the wrong side of the media
18%
Lack of decent publicity
9%
Something else (see below)
8%

Total votes: 184

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: Worse Stranglers "career move"

Post by Boody » 27 Apr 2015, 14:46

No, but I bet it was fun....
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.

T.F.P.R.H.G
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Worse Stranglers

Post by T.F.P.R.H.G » 27 Apr 2015, 15:03

Boody wrote:No, but I bet it was fun....
:smt023
Saidagibb !

Fraziel
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Fraziel » 27 Apr 2015, 22:36

ThruBeingCool wrote:Worse career move was to carry on without Hugh.

They would have certainly reformed eventually and it would be Simple Minds supporting The Stranglers in 2015 if personal differences hadn't been resolved.

Still, we have all those classic albums to enjoy that wouldn't have been recorded if Hugh had stayed..
Not so sure. Their record sales were going down the tubes as it was and 10 was so bland and middle of the road it was a white line. I prefer them live now with Baz and they have as many, if not more, people going to see them live than shortly before Hugh left. Suite 16 is one of the best albums they have done too.

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 28 Apr 2015, 15:31

T.F.P.R.H.G wrote:jj knocking fck out of all them jornos didnt help.
I wonder what they did to deserve it? Insult his religion or summat?

Twosunspots
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Twosunspots » 09 Aug 2017, 16:21

Put 'America's have bigger brains' in the sense that telling A & M their American record company to 'get fucked' was quite major, lol - who then got behind a band called The Police instead by all accounts..

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason » 09 Aug 2017, 19:12

It's a shame the Stranglers are pretty unknown in America. You'd think some of their songs could have done really well over there.

Ruby
Rats Rally

Post by Ruby » 07 Sep 2017, 12:29

Fraziel wrote:
25 Apr 2015, 21:33
Selecting Paul Roberts as singer and moving to a 5 piece trumps everything else on that list.
Two years to reply but I'll second that.

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason » 07 Sep 2017, 14:29

Calling themselves the Stranglers!

kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack » 07 Sep 2017, 17:54

Ruby wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 12:29
Fraziel wrote:
Selecting Paul Roberts as singer and moving to a 5 piece trumps everything else on that list.
Yes!

I was listening to Paul Roberts singing an acoustic version of Always The Sun yesterday and it was just so wrong sounding.

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 07 Sep 2017, 18:26

kjblack wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 17:54
Ruby wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 12:29
Fraziel wrote:
Yes!

I was listening to Paul Roberts singing an acoustic version of Always The Sun yesterday and it was just so wrong sounding.
I've probably heard Paul sing it about as much as Hugh, but it's the Baz version that leaves me cold sadly.
I think the 5 piece was a good thing, especially with Baz.
The worst moves were probably being lazy(?) enough to leave Hugh to do all the legwork in the late 80s and blandifying everything, plus the lack of oomph they've had since Paul left. The lack of new ideas and "macho" ness of the whole thing is terribly boring as well, they may be selling out tours but how much of the audience are the same every night and does that count? the fact that so many people are saying "it's more about the social side than the gig" or "I've had enough now, not really interested" speaks volumes.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

Ruby
Rats Rally

Post by Ruby » 08 Sep 2017, 08:31

Well it's all opinion of course and healthy debate but personally I will never understand the point of view that a 5 piece Stranglers was a good thing.I mean The Stranglers with a singer in the middle.Who doesn't play an instrument. He just sings. It's as far removed from the dynamic and the spirit of the band as is possible. In my opinion.
Also to be fair paras, the band had keen fans back in the Hugh era too, fans who would do a full tour or numerous dates, just the same.You could say the same for most bands, that some people in the audience would have been in attendance at the previous show.

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 08 Sep 2017, 22:48

Ruby wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 08:31
Well it's all opinion of course and healthy debate but personally I will never understand the point of view that a 5 piece Stranglers was a good thing.I mean The Stranglers with a singer in the middle.Who doesn't play an instrument. He just sings. It's as far removed from the dynamic and the spirit of the band as is possible. In my opinion.
Also to be fair paras, the band had keen fans back in the Hugh era too, fans who would do a full tour or numerous dates, just the same.You could say the same for most bands, that some people in the audience would have been in attendance at the previous show.
Fair points, well made. I think it's possibly more noticeable now as there's no effort to be attracting new fans any more. Perhaps understandably as it's quite late in the day...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"