Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Garry Coward-williams

Post by dead ringer »

Bobinblack wrote:
zontar wrote:Perhaps he could collaborate with Mr Bobinblack?
Thanks for the suggestion, mate. I think me and GCW are fwends on Facebook but I've steered away from contacting him about books as he's officially one of the pukka establishment-in-black, he wouldn't need or want my help and i don't like people thinking I'm full of self-importance or trying to grab a piece of imaginary pie-in-black.

My experience with our book was that the band & management aren't interested in the past so there was minimal support from official quarters offered to me. I managed to speak with some great people connected with the band or individual Stranglers but it was hard work with little result half the time. That's not a slight on the Stranglers themselves, I at least was told indirectly by 2 of the originals that they weren't interested in helping as it was 'the past' but they appreciated what we were trying to do 8) . The biggest pain for me personally though was the publisher's fear of legal action by the band's management if we ever used Stranglers logos or iconography.

BTW I posted a comment on the Stranglers Memorabilia page on Facebook a while back as there is some bloody amazing photo/stories posted on there and I suggested that they all work together and plan a 'coffee table book' of all the fab historyinblack. I only suggested it because I thought it a good idea, not because i felt I had any more 'voice' than any other Stranglers fan. I suspect some thing stops that leap being taken, maybe it's just collectors being wary of publishers, I dunno.

Blimey I could go on much more about this, all sorts of ideas and suggestions for books etc went through my head but there is always that 'something' stopping it in its tracks.
Strange considering that 'the past' seems to be very much their future!
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zontar »

Agreed.
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

It's criminal that there is no progress on either GCW's book or the coffee table book. If as you say Bob there is a concern about the Band's management becoming concerned about the use of the logo / images & so on, would it not be possible to have a waiver / limited licence agreed with the band to allow progress to publication.

Surely its in the interests of ALL members of the Band to be viewed extra positively by the fans & media.It would polish their image on all fronts.
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

ThruBeingCool wrote: 28 Oct 2016, 21:55 Personally, I'm not really interested in the stuff about the old days, we get the gist. I'd really love to hear the stories from all concerned after Hugh left though. I know it's probably only of minority interest but that's what I would like to read about, to fill in the gaps etc.
Seconded.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

parasiteinblack wrote: 27 Feb 2017, 22:06
ThruBeingCool wrote: 28 Oct 2016, 21:55 Personally, I'm not really interested in the stuff about the old days, we get the gist. I'd really love to hear the stories from all concerned after Hugh left though. I know it's probably only of minority interest but that's what I would like to read about, to fill in the gaps etc.
Seconded.
My arse.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

Post by parasiteinblack » 27 Feb 2017, 22:06

ThruBeingCool wrote: ↑28 Oct 2016, 21:55
Personally, I'm not really interested in the stuff about the old days, we get the gist. I'd really love to hear the stories from all concerned after Hugh left though. I know it's probably only of minority interest but that's what I would like to read about, to fill in the gaps etc.
Seconded.
Fair enough. I'm sure that would be a good read.
Why don't you do the research and put it out there.
A tours coming up, so there's a bit of a chance to go asking.

Great idea

Could even start a Pledge to fund it
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I think I agree. That's why I'm disappointed there isn't an update to "No Mercy", or even a reprint with an addendum in the back, but David Buckley says that even a reprint is impossible. There are comments floating around that suggest (well, not "suggest", actually state) that both JE and PR have a different view on quite a few of the official versions of various stories, including their departures from the band, and it would be interesting to hear them.

But we start to stray dangerously towards personal stuff, and it all gets a bit OK-Magazine after a while. I guess "No Mercy" sold quite well, well enough to get a paperback edition at least, and I would think that copies of books about the band on the shelves in Waterstones would remind people about them - even if the book talks about the past, it might jog people to see what they're doing now. Same for the David Boni film, which he says is still in production but taking a long time, can only help. I figure it'd be nice for a BBC4 evening like they do with Iron Maiden from time to time - documentary, followed by live gig recording.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I agree with TBC, would like to hear on what the band think of the MK2 years specilly Written in Red and Coup De Grace years. Not a lot has been written about it. The Past has been done to death. But as it from someone who was there and i remember his talk at he convention then i would definitley be interested to see what Garry Coward - Williams has to say. I know the thread on the stranglers memrobila page aswell. This tour would of been the perfect tour to sell it on.
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

Totally agree - that would be an interesting read - we have no mercy and other books for the old days.....