Garry Coward-williams

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Russ65
Rats Rally

Garry Coward-williams

Post by Russ65 »

Back in 2011 at the Convention Garry spoke of his time with the band as well as sharing some of the images taken in the day. It was also mentioned that he was working on a project to produce those images in a book. Does anyone know if this happened/is still happening or was shelved?

I'm sure a collection of early images of the band would generate a good deal of interest. My interest was prodded after meeting Derek De Souza at the recent Jam Celebration gig at Liverpool and seeing his work and the interest his generated. His early career mirrors that of Garry both becoming aspiring photographers after taking photos of their favourite band.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Garry Coward-williams

Post by droopsnoot »

I haven't seen anything come of it, I'm sure it would have been mentioned. I also hadn't realised that he'd become the editor of "Amateur Photographer" magazine for a few years.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

News....Thanks to Ava and Garry for the update......

RESPONSE FROM GARRY COWARD-WILLIAMS RE HIS FUTURE BOOK

“Thank you for remembering the talk I did at the convention in 2011. It seemed to go down very well. Yes, I have been working on a book and I’ve written roughly 60,000 words and I’ve also recently found some lost pictures. Unfortunately for personal reasons I’ve not been able to work on the book this year, but I’m hoping to be able to get to it at the beginning of next year. Once I get to the point where I’ll be able to publish I can assure you that BUTS will be made aware.” Garry Coward-Williams

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Cool 8)
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zontar »

Perhaps he could collaborate with Mr Bobinblack?
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

zontar wrote:Perhaps he could collaborate with Mr Bobinblack?
Thanks for the suggestion, mate. I think me and GCW are fwends on Facebook but I've steered away from contacting him about books as he's officially one of the pukka establishment-in-black, he wouldn't need or want my help and i don't like people thinking I'm full of self-importance or trying to grab a piece of imaginary pie-in-black.

My experience with our book was that the band & management aren't interested in the past so there was minimal support from official quarters offered to me. I managed to speak with some great people connected with the band or individual Stranglers but it was hard work with little result half the time. That's not a slight on the Stranglers themselves, I at least was told indirectly by 2 of the originals that they weren't interested in helping as it was 'the past' but they appreciated what we were trying to do 8) . The biggest pain for me personally though was the publisher's fear of legal action by the band's management if we ever used Stranglers logos or iconography.

BTW I posted a comment on the Stranglers Memorabilia page on Facebook a while back as there is some bloody amazing photo/stories posted on there and I suggested that they all work together and plan a 'coffee table book' of all the fab historyinblack. I only suggested it because I thought it a good idea, not because i felt I had any more 'voice' than any other Stranglers fan. I suspect some thing stops that leap being taken, maybe it's just collectors being wary of publishers, I dunno.

Blimey I could go on much more about this, all sorts of ideas and suggestions for books etc went through my head but there is always that 'something' stopping it in its tracks.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Bobinblack wrote:BTW I posted a comment on the Stranglers Memorabilia page on Facebook a while back as there is some bloody amazing photo/stories posted on there and I suggested that they all work together and plan a 'coffee table book' of all the fab historyinblack.
Something like that could work quite well now that it's relatively easy to get stuff printed in small numbers, or even print-on-demand. At one point the response would just have been that there's no point trying as it wouldn't sell enough for a single print run.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Tres cool.

Thanks for the update Jim & Garry
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Russ65
Rats Rally

Post by Russ65 »

Thanks for the update Garry and also to Ava for your assistance.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Bobinblack wrote:I at least was told indirectly by 2 of the originals that they weren't interested in helping as it was 'the past'
Hence "The Strangers hit the road again with the Classic Collection tour. Coinciding with the re-release of the band’s entire catalogue from 1977 to 1982" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Frederik wrote:
Bobinblack wrote:I at least was told indirectly by 2 of the originals that they weren't interested in helping as it was 'the past'
Hence "The Strangers hit the road again with the Classic Collection tour. Coinciding with the re-release of the band’s entire catalogue from 1977 to 1982" :roll: :roll: :roll:
:grin: As always, a living contradiction are The Stranglers!

I think it was meant in good faith and I did take it that way (not that I had much choice in the matter). I was also told by the management that as there were not one but two books due out on the band the following year, THEY weren't interested in supporting it either. Still waiting for those booksinblack :roll: though I think their US tour one became a blog.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Personally, I'm not really interested in the stuff about the old days, we get the gist. I'd really love to hear the stories from all concerned after Hugh left though. I know it's probably only of minority interest but that's what I would like to read about, to fill in the gaps etc.