don letts - skinhead documentary

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sewer rat
Rats Rally

don letts - skinhead documentary

Post by sewer rat »

did anyone see that Don Letts documentary last night on skinhead culture. any views, experiences etc you would like to share. I was a punk in the late 70's/early 80's and witnessed first hand the thug side of that movement. don't get me wrong, I knew lots of skinheads and they were brand new, but, there was a huge section who weren't interested in watching the band, just wanted trouble. lining up in front of the stage seig-heiling. what was that achieving. and if you were to ask one of them why they do that....the most probable reply would be...I get treated like a pariah or outcast. yeah, cos you go around seig-heiling you twat. there was a documentary out around 1982 called UK/DK....anyone see that. I watched that right after the Don Letts doc and had completely forgotten about the guy with NUTTY SKINS tattooed across his forehead....in huge yellow letters. that's commitment for you. one of the skins in the Letts doc had a doc marten tattooed down the right side of his face aswell. ah mean, you have to tip your hat to these guys, is that the result of a moment of madness (excuse the skinhead pun) or the result of true belief in the movement. I love punk rock (77-83) but there's no way I'd get a face tattoo of a safety pin, a zip or the anarchy logo. I'm not judging people here by the way, Christ, back in the day I suffered plenty of that myself, I'm just trying to get a handle on that kind of commitment to something.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: don letts - skinhead documentary

Post by Rockula »

In the late 70's mostly around 1979 I was living in Romford.
There were 'true' Skinheads who hung around with the punks and I had no problem with them at all.
But the rise in the numbers of 'Bonehead' gangs became a problem.

One night in 1979, returning home from a gig at The Marquee, I got to Romford Station.
Opposite was a McDonalds and the Boneheads would congregate outside and wait to see who got off the trains.
So I always arranged for my Dad to pick me up in the car about 25 yards from the entrance.

As I walked past McDonalds on the other side of the street I was spotted and they gave chase.

But when I got near my Dad's car he stepped out carrying a wood axe.
He shouted 'Do you want some you fucking cunts' and they all ran away.

Thanks Dad. :lol:
ManInBrown
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Rockula wrote:In the late 70's mostly around 1979 I was living in Romford.
There were 'true' Skinheads who hung around with the punks and I had no problem with them at all.
But the rise in the numbers of 'Bonehead' gangs became a problem.

One night in 1979, returning home from a gig at The Marquee, I got to Romford Station.
Opposite was a McDonalds and the Boneheads would congregate outside and wait to see who got off the trains.
So I always arranged for my Dad to pick me up in the car about 25 yards from the entrance.

As I walked past McDonalds on the other side of the street I was spotted and they gave chase.

But when I got near my Dad's car he stepped out carrying a wood axe.
He shouted 'Do you want some you fucking cunts' and they all ran away.

Thanks Dad. :lol:
Warms the cockles Sir! Cheers 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Late 70's/early 80's the punk gigs that I went to always attracted skinheads who just basically wanted to cause a fight and/or try and sell the National Front to punks.

Skinheads have few redeeming features IMHO. The so called "Oi!" Movement was possibly the final nail in punks coffin as far as I'm concerned.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Yeah agree with TBC, went to a fair few ska gigs and it was like Pauline Black said, the NF infiltrated the skins just to cause bother at them. Then this 'OI' shite came to the forefront when all the ska gigs were stopped
Loved the fashion/music etc and still listen to it today ..... now wheres my brogues and Crombie 8)
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

I never quite understood why Gary Bushell put slaughter and the dogs on OI! the album in 1980. real headscratcher that one. they were part of the original punk scene along wi the buzzcocks, the damned, pistols etc (as we all know). even the upstarts...they were around in '77....then there's cocksparrer, they go even further back. I think he was trying to 'create' a scene, but unfortunately the scene was already there...it was called PUNK!
is anyone else with me when I say that skrewdriver's first album All Skrewed Up (1977) is a punk classic. a couple of years before their new record label coersed them into going all NATZEE
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

'Punk', 'Oi!' and 'Street Punk' are all mightily mixed up these days.
There are many influenced by the likes of 'Sham 69', 'Cockney Rejects' and 'Cocksparrer'.

But don't forget that 'Angelic Upstarts', one of the most Left Wing, Anti-Nazi punk bands also got lumped in with the 'Oi!' thing and a lot of the newer bands are influenced by them. Strangely, although they were heard in the documentary, no real mention of them or any of the other anti-Nazi bands like 'The Oppressed' or 'The Business'.

Also no mention for 'The Redskins'. The clue was in the name. :lol:
ManInBrown
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I thought the young chap at the end who basically said "do your research" raises a good point. The whole skinhead movement has become very muddied through the years. Take it back to it's roots.

Jim.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Rockula wrote: Also no mention for 'The Redskins'. The clue was in the name. :lol:

Yes no mention of the redskins...
A great band they was.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

mickinblack wrote:
Rockula wrote: Also no mention for 'The Redskins'. The clue was in the name. :lol:

Yes no mention of the redskins...
A great band they was.
Indeed agreed!
Thank you very much
EiTC
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

So we had a load of skins at school 71-72 Ellesmere Port.
They wore docs & crombies.
Also remember comos, tonics, budgie jackets.
They also wore parkas with fishtails
They also drove scooters if they were extra flash

Had a major incident at school where some guys came back to school on their scooters being chased by a load of greasers in cars.
Were skidding all around the playground, then one of the bikes got driven over.
Everyone legged it & then flashing blue lights turned up.

Never really had any issue at footie as it was quite normal fashion.

Later on of course was continually where the Sham Army was.
Passionate guys. Again never any issues as music was a common bond.
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974