"Dangerous Dog act" Not Working obviously.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok after the death this week of two people due to dogs out of control.Including the tragic death of a three year old boy at the hands of the family pet (American Bulldog).

Something has to be done to stem the tide of this potential menace.I am not a dog hater,I like all animals,its not the dog but the people who are at fault.But the law is a total ass.

At present their are four banned breeds Pit Bull,Japanese Tosa,Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero,but of course any large or medium size dog could be potentially dangerous to a small

child or an adult.So you have the four banned breeds,but it is perfectly legal to buy a Neopolitan Mastiff( a dog used in Roman arenas) or say an Eskimo Dog(which is specially bred by the

inuit people as a working animal and should not be owned by anyone without vast experience or someone who is prepared to run it for 20 miles a day minimum.Therein lies the absurdity

of the current law.Of course their is a new offence on top of that "Having a dog dangerously out of control" which covers dogs out of control at a home address as well as in public.I don't know what the

solution is only to maybe have compulsory training of all dogs and maybe special training for large breeds bred for guarding or fighting.Of course certain breeds are status symbols.

In the 1970's it was the Alsation,90's Doberman and Rottweiler,2000 Pitbulls and now it's the Husky another traditional working breed that is lovely animal but again without firm training

potentially dangerous to other animals and people.So whats going to be the next badge of honour breed to own? Well America is now in to wolf hybrids.I predict a Hyena hybrid crossed

with a Neopolitan Mastiff (just Joking) but something has to be done to stop more tragic deaths like the three year old boy a few days ago.
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Re: "Dangerous Dog act" Not Working obviously.

Post by sewer rat »

there's a mastiff that lives down near us and the owners allow their young daughter to take it out on a lead. she's about 7/8...how the fuck is she meant to control that animal. I had a bit of an argument wi a mate a few years ago about these dogs...pitbulls, rottweillers, jack russells etc. his point was that any dog trained properly will be a great family pet. BULLSHIT! I retorted. these dogs have the DNA in them that makes them act in the way they were originally bred for. my old man had a border collie...it had never been anywhere near a farm, yet when he ran about he had all the traits of a sheepdog.
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

The owner of the dog should be arrested for murder.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

the number of times some fucking Cujo goes at me when I'm out on the bicycle, and the owner shouts 'he'll not touch you'.
Got to the stage now where the dog gets a kick in the face before it has a chance to think of taking a chunk of my leg.
The owner and I can have the discussion about how 'he's only playing' afterwards.
rotten thoughts
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Me I have a golden retriever. Soft as putty, gorgeous, playful, but I always keep him away from anyone I don't know, because some people just don't like dogs, to which I say "fair enough, entirely understandable". And some dogs have been bred to fight, shocking reflection as it is on the human race.

For no apparent reason, here is a snap of said dog. He's called Tom, in case you were wondering...
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG (99.8 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Re:

Post by iain »

Boody wrote:Me I have a golden retriever. Soft as putty, gorgeous, playful, but I always keep him away from anyone I don't know, because some people just don't like dogs, to which I say "fair enough, entirely understandable". And some dogs have been bred to fight, shocking reflection as it is on the human race.

For no apparent reason, here is a snap of said dog. He's called Tom, in case you were wondering...
IMG_0276.JPG
Nah, I'd only pat that friendly wee face
rotten thoughts
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I think greatkudu has hit the nail on the head with this "badge of honour" mentality which I hate with a vengeance & which seems to be taking over. It's like "look at me I've got a pitbull" or whatever, no you're not clever you're a fuckin arse !

Too many irresponsible pet owners, if it's not a dog then they want snake or an iguana or something, whats all that about ?

what the fuck is wrong with people in this country ?

Actually it's not just this country it's everywhere these days. I go to south Italy regularly & people are becoming just as idiotic over there with all these ridiculous fads. Dogs every fuckin where not looked after properly not taken for walks enough just fuckin barking all the time going crazy in inadequate spaces.

What is getting into people ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I Hate You !
Boody
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Boody »

A recurring theme to me, over many topics, is what a decent bunch of people I have met through this forum, either face to face or electronically - no one here would disagree with the sentiments of the original post or any of the replies. Long live the forum, its mighty fine moderator and all contributors. I really do see you as extended family without the baggage that tends to go with it.
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

my mate has a cross-breed of a shitzu and a pit bull....it's called a Bullshit
Boody
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Boody »

Boody wrote:A recurring theme to me, over many topics, is what a decent bunch of people I have met through this forum, either face to face or electronically - no one here would disagree with the sentiments of the original post or any of the replies. Long live the forum, its mighty fine moderator and all contributors. I really do see you as extended family without the baggage that tends to go with it.
Can I just say I was drunk when I posted this.
laurie
The Man They Love To Hate

Re:

Post by laurie »

Boody wrote:
Boody wrote:A recurring theme to me, over many topics, is what a decent bunch of people I have met through this forum, either face to face or electronically - no one here would disagree with the sentiments of the original post or any of the replies. Long live the forum, its mighty fine moderator and all contributors. I really do see you as extended family without the baggage that tends to go with it.
Can I just say I was drunk when I posted this.
We had guessed
do you wanna
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

sewer rat wrote:there's a mastiff that lives down near us and the owners allow their young daughter to take it out on a lead. she's about 7/8...how the fuck is she meant to control that animal. I had a bit of an argument wi a mate a few years ago about these dogs...pitbulls, rottweillers, jack russells etc. his point was that any dog trained properly will be a great family pet. BULLSHIT! I retorted. these dogs have the DNA in them that makes them act in the way they were originally bred for. my old man had a border collie...it had never been anywhere near a farm, yet when he ran about he had all the traits of a sheepdog.
Well funnily enough the Mastiff is quite a reliable breed,you have the Bull Mastiff or Gamekeepers dog as it was known,it;s crossed with English Mastiff and Bulldog used around 19th century

by Gamekeepers to guard country estates.Of course all Mastiff breeds are very powerful and I question the wisdom of a child around 7/8 taking one out,as you have said how can they control

such a large powerful animal? And your mate who thinks you can train any large dog breed for a family pet,is a flawed argument,Yes you can train any animal up to a point.But would you

leave it in a room alone with a small child? Obviously not but some owners anthromorphisise about animals,again flawed behavior,even the best trained animal can turn due to the way

it's treated or a whole host of other reasons,so caution should always be advised around small children especially,the animal may be jealous of a new child.So one would hope common

sense might prevail.In the case a few days ago of the three year old boy mauled by the American Bulldog,I don't know all the details,a tragic event.In that case I wouldn't prosecute the

mother as she will have to live with whatever happened for life,jail isn't the place.Just going off thread their is one animal you can't train and that is the highly endangered

Scottish Wildcat,you can train Big cats up to a point but the mighty Scottish Wildcat is totally untamable.Lastly your comment about DNA I think your right about that.But I'm no

expert on dogs.I just have a knowledge of some breeds.