famous people you have met.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PeteL
Rats Rally

Re: famous people you have met.

Post by PeteL »

Tony Hadley in a pub in Islington in the late 80's - I didn't know who he was - it was early evening and, apart from the two of us the bar was empty. We exchanged pleasantries, he offered to buy me a pint and we had a chat about local pubs and music venues. Later on a couple of my mates turned up and Tony bid me a friendly " nice to talk to you, see you later " to their amazement as he walked out the pub!

Best ever though was flying Fin Ari Vatanen who I've met several times over the years. What a top bloke !!!
Yes I can drive drive
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Nevermind that.... what about famous people who've met ME!! :twisted:
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Alive?

No , in all seriousness by "met", I'm guessing you mean having some sort of verbal exchange with an actual living famous person rather than having merely seen them or been a bystander whilst another person has done all of the talking.

I regularly pass through backstage areas in my ordinary everyday life and therefore come into contact with celebrities who, because I don't know them personally, I tend not to talk to.

Have you ever met someone you recognise and stood there racking your brains as to where you know this person from before realising he or she is on telly? This has happened to me when running into Bill Maynard and Dara O'Briain. On each occasion I came out with a familiar "Oh Hiya! I know you don't I!" before realising who they were. Both were very courteous as celebrities generally are in my experience, despite the hindrance of constant recognition.
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

......is bill maynard still alive? jesus, thought he died years ago. but yes....by 'met' I mean a famous person you have actually had a conversation with
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

I'm not sure. This was in the late 1980's. I was sat having a quiet drink with the girls in the window of a local restaurant and he walked up with a former cast member of EastEnders and started reading the menu board on the other side of the glass. I smiled and waved hello with a "Who is that man?" before we all piped up a simultaneous "Oh no it's Selwyn Froggitt!". We went out to speak to them and it transpired they were appearing on tour at the local theatre.
raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack »

Bill Beaumont, England Rugby Captain, been in his office at Chortex his family firm, and see him in tesco a lot,
Ian McKellen, in a pub in Laandaan. Quick "hello" and that was it.
Wendy Richards, walking her pooch just off Edgeware Rd, a shouted "Alright Love?" thru the open coach window.
Recently, that shit American actor, err Ben Affleck, taking his kids round a certain Laandaan studio. Just a nod.
Martin Kemp at Norton Canes services, "alright Martin?"
Claire Balding on Pall Mall, taking her hats back after Ascot.
Plus all the stranglers at some point, various members of The Mission,Goldblade, Killing Joke, Ruts DC, Sir Charlie Harper, Paul Slack, Nicky Garrett, Jet, Jamie Oliver(the drummer not the twat) Bekki Bondage (shed still get it) All of PWEI, Wonderstuff inc Rob Bassthing, theres shitloads,Captain and Vanian etc and with the modern miracle that is facebook I regularily chat to Steven Severin, Simon Hinckler, Graham Crabb, Fuzz Townshend, Paul Slack, Louisa Carr, Captain S,etc
just hanging around
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

One night in Belfast, I almost succeeded in talking Alex Higgins into coming back to my house to play me on the pool table in my garage,
My drunken mate arriving and talking a load of shite blew it. He's never been forgiven.
rotten thoughts
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm liking this thread a lot. The more obscure c-list celeb the better

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Gonna throw in my Derek Acorah story but you're not quite ready for it

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

I didn't meet him, but the legendary JJ Williams was on the X78 Merthyr Tydfil to Pontypridd Stagecoach bus a few years ago. I sat down at the front and looked across and there he was, in a suit. Think he might have been banned for drink driving at the time.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
Nothingonearth
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Nothingonearth »

theraven1979 wrote:I'm liking this thread a lot. The more obscure c-list celeb the better

Last night in a pub, the blonde lady from Homes Under the Hammer. No idea her name but definitely got that shit celeb buzz!
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

....keep the 'famous people you have met' thread going, but, how about a top 5 of people you would love to meet (no deep answers like 'an absent father etc'....even just to exchange a 'hello'.....and a top 5 of people you would love to have met from any era (it's all fantasy)........WLT = would love to.........WLTH = would love to have

WLT...
lorna Dunkley - blonde sky news presenter
john lydon
ray winstone
jello Biafra
kate beckinsale

WLTH...
jack the ripper
hitler
elvis Presley
sid vicious
joe strummer