Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

A Gig Review PIL live at the Indigo 02

Post by pigeon »

Time 16.30pm A Monday Afternoon in Febuary sometime

Location on my laptop in my Bedroom on Facebook, just logged off the TIT Monday thread

New Notfication from PIL,can't be botherd right now. I've just logged into World Of Warcraft init. PVPing a dungeon with my Character Thepigeon on a quest

Check Notification a couple of hours later and its the announcement of a PIL UK tour in June, something i wasent expecting as they have just recentley tourd. After having enjoyed my first PIL gig at the Sheperds Bush Empire last October. £37 later and i have a ticket for the indigo 02 gig. Whilst this venue didnt thrill me in particualar i was there last June for the Metal Hammer Golden God Awards. The place left me feeling a little cold. It smelt of Coperate Buisness, smack bang in the middle of the finacial trade Centre that is the 02. A place i find myself in quite reguarly thesedays!. To think you can see one of the biggest bands in the UK Muse just next door in the arena itself in April with all the whisltes to go with it and there open top UFO stage. But they have a place where all the small time bands can play aswell like PIL to a much much smaller auidence. Just next door. But you still find yourself in the Slug n Leticuse with a pint of Amstill that cost you £5 of your hard earnt.

Met Pam And Andy, Graham Flowers Paul Lindop and Kate. Sir Elvis in the clouds was on holiday for this one. In the Venue spend another fiver on a pint! more than an hours wages for 2 pints in this place!. I stop at two pints in true punk fashion,sod em!!!! if thats how they are going to be. The Support band come on i forget there name but there an English Irish acoustic band. The Bible 2 group or something like that.

Onwards to PIL who come on roughly at 20.40 to the sound of the "Albertros", great i love this song from Metal Box album. Like before the Drummer and bassist are doing a fine job, playing very tight nit rythem section. Guitarist Lu Edmonds is very good aswell. Second song into the set "Double Trouble" from the new album what the world needs now. A few lines into the song we notice that Johnnys voice has a few problems. Seems he has been working himself to hard at his age of which he apologies to the crowd for,and can we help him get through the evening. "Know now" and "Betti page" up from the new album next didn't do the crowed any favours. I just can't stand "betti page" has to be said Edmonds god awful backing vocals. Please make it stop, As like last October "This is not a Love song" up next and gets the crowd going. "Depper Water" from "This is Pil" up next, and now one from the new album i like "Coperate" of which the crowed sing "Murder nick a Wallet, Murder, Coperate". Good Stuff the beat to this song aswell gives it a very meanacing vibe,just like the song itsself, a stand up and say "hands up if your not a free soul, blinded by big business coperatism that the media sells you stuff you don't really need". Listen to Johnny and he will tell you all you need. In the Indigo 02!. hmm? Double standards perhaps just 10 yards away they are trying to flog you the latest Samsung Mobile smartphone.

"Death Disco" up next the other crowd Pleaser this is lovley stuff. From the brilliant to the awful "The one" from the new album. "What they are fighting for is a bit of Sand" johnny snarls i ponder weather i should go for a piss at this point but wonder what is coming up next. And it is "The Order of Death" Excellent and even better "Tie me to the Length of that". So i stay "The Body" and my highlight of the evening a fantastic version of "Warrior" live Johnny shouts "ALL POlITICIANS MUST LEAVE THE COUNTRY" His voice has picked up a bit and this is fantasitc. Love his views on the world, and agree with a lot of what he says, he portrays his philosphy very very well in songs,and makes it understandable, for the div on the street like myself. "Religion" up next this was absoulotey fantastic at Sheperds bush Empire last year. Johnny Shouts "THIS IS RELIGION, JESUS CHRIST CHEAPLY PRICED, THIS IS RELGION YOUR RELIGION, BY A BITCH OF A GOD THAT IS SPELT DOG" and then the "Do YOU WANT MORE BASS??" chant at the end and it goes louder and Louder. The obligorty "Rise" finishing the main set which to me is the main song that best decribes PIL as a band initself. "ANGER IS AN ENERGY" is what johnny hears the main set being finished too. The band go off milking the applause.

It's a while before they come back to stage until we scream loud enough and Johnny is happy with it will he come back. we think its going to be "Open up" and "Public image" i mean surley those are your 2 main songs to send people off with, but oh no we get a slice of the current interesting "Im not satisfied" from the new album, thats another one of my favourites. I mean you can never get bored with shouting "IM NOT SATISFIED NOT" at the top of ones voice. That is indeed what i said to my manager when i got into work and saw the state of the car park this morning Trollies everywhere there I wasen't Satisfied!!!. "Open Up" next yes i like what he did there. I had a bit of a dance with my new friend Kate. And then he finished off with "Shoom" from the new album. Loads of "bollocks" and "fuckings" in it great. What the World Needs Now is another ..... "FUCK OFF" indeed. Despite Johnnys voice being a bit off i enjoyed the evening for what it was.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: A Gig Review PIL live at the Indigo 02

Post by Bag Lady »

Excellent review Pidge, thanks for posting.
No one can win against kipple.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Thanks Baglady.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Pidge - was it worth the £40?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Thanks Jim. They would have to seriously drop the price of the ticket for me to consider seeing them again. I know the cost of the ticket for them was £26 but its the services charges added ontop. I really think they are a £20 band tops,but obviously they don't and they must have large overheads. But seeing as they didn't sell the place out,maybe they should drop the price?. I might buy another album next wonder what one to go for. I might get "First issue" as thats always avalabale in shops to buy for a decent price.
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Johnny's voice has a few problems. When has it ever sounded good???

Great review Pidge.
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

His voice carried a lot of menace in his heyday. Sounds Ok now. But nothing like what he once was.
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

One day, you'll drag me kicking and screaming to a gig of his... and a Hugh gig... ;-)
apc
SHAKESPEARO

Post by apc »

theraven1979 wrote:Nice one Pidge - was it worth the £40?

Jim
It was just under £32 with fees same as you will pay for any of the following gigs in London this year: Stranglers , Damned, Killing Joke so nothing special about the price of this gig unfortunately
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Ravenette wrote:One day, you'll drag me kicking and screaming to a gig of his... and a Hugh gig... ;-)
Hugh in Guildford in September!
No one can win against kipple.
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

enjoyed the review Pidge... thanks!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Bag Lady wrote:
Ravenette wrote:One day, you'll drag me kicking and screaming to a gig of his... and a Hugh gig... ;-)
Hugh in Guildford in September!
Think I'm busy that night...