punk 1977

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sewer rat
Rats Rally

punk 1977

Post by sewer rat »

i'm in the middle of making a 10 cd box set of punk music from 1977....all songs (live, demo, radio, ep/album) must have been recorded in 1977 to appear on it. if anyone has the uk subs 4 track '77 demo....could you please put it up. i do have a dilemma tho and maybe you good people could help me. i've got a great sounding bootleg by The Police from the mont de marsan festival 1977....should they qualify for being on this box set....i'm totally on the fence here and a decent shove either way might help. the boomtown rats ain't going on after geldof's rant at rebellion last year....fucking asshole. let me know about that uk subs demo guys.
if anyone wants me to put up all the finished songs for download....let me know. there will be 210 in all....some great obscure punk....the crabs / open sore / the now / puncture / PVC2 / the zeros / the pigs....aswell as the well known....pistols / damned / clash / wire / cortinas / 999........

....but the main question here is....do The Police qualify to be on a 1977 punk rock box set?????
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: punk 1977

Post by marky »

I would think that the police were not a part of a punk or new wave movement I say this on the basis that I think that sting is up there with bono as being one of the most pretencious individuals in the music industry
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

so the police might be
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

yeah....that's the way i've been leaning myself like.....he is a fud n i remember a story from 1977 when the police and the damned were on the same bill. while the damned were on...sting and co were helping themselves to the damned's rider (crates of beer basically). when the damned entered the dressing room to find a shitload of beer had been guzzled....he kicked stings' shit in for him....so, i think i'll just leave the police off the compilation.
cheers
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

No leave them off.
I just carn't abide that sting fella.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

It's funny that even after 40 years we are still debating who is and who isn't "Punk".
The Boomtown Rats and The Police were always too accomplished as musicians to be classified as punk.
Just like my favourite band................

I always wondered how the MiB would have got on if they had continued as "Johnny Sox" or something like "Antler's Drift"
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

at the time they were just part of what was going on, so on that basis thats it. they gave me a chance to see the Cramps, that alone says enough......
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

....you see, there's more good points being made here...." too musically advanced to be punk "....are we drifting from the attitude and focusing more on the music now...because if you ask me...the stranglers debut album is right up there with the pistols, clash and damned debuts. back in the day a punk band had to be more unpredictable than 30 MPH in my view and a lot of these bands were. but the police and the boomtown rats were, i suppose, predictable from the get-go. you listen to those 4 debut albums i mentioned there...yeah, there's some 'fast' songs in there but for the most part the songs are a sort of mid-tempo, yet still noisy and energetic. and if you're going to play songs at a steady pace, any mistakes you make are going to be picked out....so i suppose it's better you do have a rough idea of your instruments etc.
in a nutshell....PUNK 1977....The Police + The Boomtown Rats......FAAAACK OFF!!!!!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Look at a lot of compilations and you have bands that maybe weren't punk as such - Elvis Costello , Ian Drury , Nick Lowe .....The Police .........BUT you could also argue that they were part of a bigger , wider thing on the periphery of punk- The Stranglers likewise ..... I think its a matter of choice , there isn't a definitive answer . You have bands that are obviously and without doubt punk - they have the look and attitude - some bands had the attitude but didn't go so much for the look , they were a bit more subtle and clever . It changed over time whereby 1980/81 punk became a uniform and a noise - no doubt about who was punk by then , but punk had become tunnel visioned - a uniform . Buzzcocks were punk , they didn't look it . Its a matter of choice really . R.E.M. ( the US one ) are on one punk compilation - I wouldn't personally have called them punk .
All quiet ..........
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Looking back (with the benefit of hindsight and a good 40 years behind us) it is easy, or easier perhaps, to consider what is or isn't 'punk'.

Being a teenager back in 77 I would have classed Costello, Police, Boomtown Rats - even Squeeze - all as part of the Punk Movement. It wasn't so pigeon-holed back in the day. I have a Punk Poster Zine from 77 naming the Top Twenty 'punk' acts and Iron Maiden are there. The Punk Bible 'Sniffing Glue' reviews Blue Oyster Cult in an early edition. It wasn't all so clean cut as the second generation - the Oi bands, the anarcho-Crass types, the '82 wave of bands.

The diversity of styles - The Pistols. Clash through The Undertones, Lurkers through Vibrators, Sham 69 through Wire, Siouxsie & the Banshees through The Slits and beyond - all very different in their own way and yet all encompassed under the umbrella of what is known as 'punk'. Punk wasn't (just) about the music or the clothes - it was about the attitude. And that seems to have been lost - or probably more correctly 'defined' - something the original wave of bands rallied against!!

It was a false name anyway - the bands never wanted it or even knew what 'that' meant. Media labelled the movement.

It shouldn't matter if you could play your instrument or not - it was the style you played in, the message you wanted to get across and the attitude you presented.

Who gives a f**k? 8)
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

does anyone have any thoughts on punk rock today.....i don't mean the old bands still active....i mean, is there still a fresh punk movement. who are the bands? i'm 50 years old and i'm (happily) in a time bubble punk-wise. but are we still relying on the 60 year olds to record the music and put on the gigs....which, by the way, i'm happy with. my daughter somehow believes that ALL TIME LOW are a punk band....please tell me this isn't the case today. all these other (mainly american) acts who rode the PUNK tidal wave but have no credibility (in my eyes) either....BLINK 182, GREEN DAY, SUM 41, NIRVANA, SONIC YOUTH, GOOD CHARLOTTE, HOLE (punk my arse).....supermarket music really. they became very well off very quickly if you ask me. did these bands sweat it it out in front of 100 punks n skins getting gobbed on, glasses and bottles chucked at 'em....day in day out up and down the country for beer money...i'm thinking....NO! but they're quite happy to come in well after the fact and 'clean-up' and call themselves PUNK! so, who are the rebels of today? any ideas?
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

sewer rat wrote:does anyone have any thoughts on punk rock today.....i don't mean the old bands still active....i mean, is there still a fresh punk movement. who are the bands? i'm 50 years old and i'm (happily) in a time bubble punk-wise. but are we still relying on the 60 year olds to record the music and put on the gigs....which, by the way, i'm happy with. my daughter somehow believes that ALL TIME LOW are a punk band....please tell me this isn't the case today. all these other (mainly american) acts who rode the PUNK tidal wave but have no credibility (in my eyes) either....BLINK 182, GREEN DAY, SUM 41, NIRVANA, SONIC YOUTH, GOOD CHARLOTTE, HOLE (punk my arse).....supermarket music really. they became very well off very quickly if you ask me. did these bands sweat it it out in front of 100 punks n skins getting gobbed on, glasses and bottles chucked at 'em....day in day out up and down the country for beer money...i'm thinking....NO! but they're quite happy to come in well after the fact and 'clean-up' and call themselves PUNK! so, who are the rebels of today? any ideas?
The only what I'd call modern band I listen to is Drop Kick Murphy's - they're a Boston Irish pogue-oi type . Pretty good really , others I don't know a lot about. You catch the odd Youtube but there's nothing I'd say is original or outstanding - or memorable . I tend these days to find little gems from old bands I'd either not heard or ignored, there are plenty of those .....The Nuns, Circle Jerks a lot of German punk , the Kids - a Belgian band . New stuff though by and large passes me by , I guess its generation thing , people with different problems or idea's to what we had - or a rehash of our stuff - I prefer the original but guess its nice that the flag is still carried by others .
All quiet ..........