David Bowie

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: David Bowie

Post by Hammer »

Can't say that I was a massive fan of David Bowie and the word legend is used far too often these days. But Bowie was a legend. RIP
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Never a massive fan either - though I love most of his singles - but there's no doubt he was brilliantly original and influential,

Shock news, RIP.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Rorypav
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Rorypav »

Dare I say it my favourite ever artist. Loved everything, even Earthling and Tin Machine. There was no envelope he did not push. RIP David, sadly missed
jaydee1964

Post by jaydee1964 »

deffo one of my all time favourites without a doubt

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

But let us also remember he gave us Little Drummer Boy and Dancing In The Streets.

Oh well, not toooooo many blots on the copy book David......
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jaydee1964

Post by jaydee1964 »

........and of course laughing gnome

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok well I am tempted to say a little.But It's just not me.Another Giant of music and other art forms gone,but never forgotten.His legacy of great inspiring music will live on.A man who was

never afraid to take a risk,Ie:the Tin Machine project.Strangely I heard that his most successful album "Let's Dance" was the unhappiest time of his life in the artistic sense.The reason is he

maybe thought It was too mainstream? But there were some good songs on it.I won't go on to long,but David Bowie really did push the boundaries of mixing a type of theatre with his music.

I first became aware of him as a kid "Rebel Rebel" being my favourite back then.He had an amazing career and inspired so many artists,I certainly think he was a big inspiration to the New

Wave and Punk bands that formed.He was also one of the few rock singers that were good actors "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" and "The man who fell to earth" were great films and his

performance in them was first class.I can't lie i lost touch with what he was producing in the last few years,but I have heard good reports.Earlier on I watched the vid for "Lazarus" from his

final album "Blackstar" and I have to say it's one of the most moving poignant songs and videos I have ever seen or heard.The song is great and the video brought tears to my eyes.

So I hope Mr Bowie is looking down on us and enjoying all the accolades from people as diverse as David Cameron to the Arch Bishop of Canterbury.This is one artist that truly deserves them

RIP Mr Bowie your music and inspiration will live on.A truly sad day.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Caught the news at 7am this morning - Thought they said he'd been diagnosed with cancer (which is bad enough!). Tragic news.

I remember asking for his greatest hits the "singles collection" for my 18th birthday (it was released around this time). And from there I just lapped up the back catalogue, the "berlin" years being my faves Low and Lodger. I even like Tin Machine! He's always chosen some great musicians and producers to complement his music.

Tragic - 69 is not really the "full innings" in this day and age. I'd have thought he'd have a few more years and another couple of albums. RIP

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
wegga66
Rats Rally

Post by wegga66 »

Another rock n roll Icon gone, sad day ,what a fantastic legacy he has left , for those fans who have followed him ,and those yet to find him, RIP
If it's not recorded ,then it's just a memory

http://thestranglerslive.webs.com/
Sinister

Post by Sinister »

A true legend, RIP.
Whooo's there in the shadows
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

It's not been a great start to the year for music has it, first Lemmy and now Bowie, very sad!
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Very sad news. As someone said, Laughing Gnome - brilliant.
https://youtu.be/htdvdm7cJnA
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.