Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.

Post by unbroken69 »

Ten years since we lost the unique, charasmatic, complex and charming Belfast Boy. While some still want to berate him for his human frailties, most of us prefer to remember his genius. Play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LqjGI9saiY

:smt006
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
kjblack
Rats Rally

Re: Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.

Post by kjblack »

Great as George was, in footballing ability he comes behind Pele, Maradona and Cruyff.

But Best had the most fun.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Still see Diego as #1 8)
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Pele would disagree. I suppose though, those guys played in incredible international teams, which possibly made their lights shine brighter.
kjblack wrote:Great as George was, in footballing ability he comes behind Pele, Maradona and Cruyff.

But Best had the most fun.
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Messi.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

world-Maradona

europe-zidane

british-gazza
See You At The Bar
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Cruyff, Messi and Zidane did it for me
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Gaza?? He wasn't a bad player but he wasn't anywhere near the level of Best. He had some natural ability, players like Best, Cruyff, Pele, Maradona had it in abundance, God given. When asked to compare Best and Gaza, Sir Bobby Charlton smiled and said; "with no disrespect to Paul (Gascoigne) that's like comparing a Ferrari to a Skoda".
strangledinAuch wrote:world-Maradona

europe-zidane

british-gazza
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Genius.
That is all.
rotten thoughts
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

"If you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both."

He didn't have to cheat or handle the ball to score a goal and he didn't need a tablet to get it up - obviously he was, simply THE Best 8)

Saw him play once in Windsor Park, way past his prime, but he could still show the sparks of genius from his heyday. Like all great geniuses - he was flawed.

Don't know if it is an urban legend (really hope it isn't) but my favourite Georgie story comes from his time in the US. He was in Vegas, just of the tables with his latest blonde bombshell. Cashed in his chips after a big win and returned to the room. George rings down to room service for some champagne to celebrate and spreads the cash out on the bed. The girl sprawls on all the money and the door knocks. In walks a young Northern Irish lad, working his summer as a hotel bell-hop, with a tray, glasses and the champagne. Obviously he recognises the greatest player the world has ever seen, takes a look at the blonde beauty lying on a bed load of dollar bills and says...."Fuck Geordie, where did it all go wrong!!"
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

"I used to go missing a lot. Miss Uk, Miss USA, Miss World". Sat beside him and his manager on a flight once, chatted with me the whole time, I bumped into him a week later when I was with a new girlfriend, he remembered my name and by fuck was my date mightily impressed.
MULLY wrote:"If you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both."

He didn't have to cheat or handle the ball to score a goal and he didn't need a tablet to get it up - obviously he was, simply THE Best 8)

Saw him play once in Windsor Park, way past his prime, but he could still show the sparks of genius from his heyday. Like all great geniuses - he was flawed.

Don't know if it is an urban legend (really hope it isn't) but my favourite Georgie story comes from his time in the US. He was in Vegas, just of the tables with his latest blonde bombshell. Cashed in his chips after a big win and returned to the room. George rings down to room service for some champagne to celebrate and spreads the cash out on the bed. The girl sprawls on all the money and the door knocks. In walks a young Northern Irish lad, working his summer as a hotel bell-hop, with a tray, glasses and the champagne. Obviously he recognises the greatest player the world has ever seen, takes a look at the blonde beauty lying on a bed load of dollar bills and says...."Fuck Geordie, where did it all go wrong!!"
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

anybody remember George best on the wogan show? was sad to see