Re: Rebellion Festival - Who's going?

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

I fuckin love this festival! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4pLV2gPGzc
Sweat and shite and blood!
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Well apart from drinking the contaminated water which totally fucked up my Saturday, another great festival with fab company - namely Doggus and Dick Lucas from Subhumans! Best performance of the weekend? That has to go to the awesome Maid of Ace. Fuckin brilliant!! If you haven't heard of them, check them out! Hugh played to a large crowd of hardcore punks who gave him a great reception, and he seemed to love every minute. Respect to Mr C for not shunning his musical past. Next year is the biggie - 40 years of punk and it's simply crying out for the Stranglers! I imagine they'll be playing some art festival in Devon though before proceeding to cheese n crackers.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Personally wouldn't want The Stranglers to play Rebellion. It reeks of the UK82 Punk - mohicans and studded leathers. Fair play to all those who are into that - but all that is too late in the day for oldies like me. Even seeing the bands from the first wave of punk does not appeal to me in this format - they are never likely to match their hey-day and still only doing 'slots' - not like a real gig.

I don't particularly want the band to play any festival dates (although I understand why they do) and the two 'festivals' they played over here recently were not all-day festival events - the band played a full set similar to their recent tour material with one support act.

If The Stranglers were to 'headline' Rebellion, it would be the only reason I would give it any consideration (and even than I'd probably give it a bye-ball).

Don't get me wrong, I have heard a lot of good reports and all you young 'uns seem to have a ball - but it don't float my boat. Too much dross to wade through to find the few acts that would inspire me to attend.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Stevie.T-'up north'

MULLY wrote:Personally wouldn't want The Stranglers to play Rebellion. It reeks of the UK82 Punk - mohicans and studded leathers. Fair play to all those who are into that - but all that is too late in the day for oldies like me. Even seeing the bands from the first wave of punk does not appeal to me in this format - they are never likely to match their hey-day and still only doing 'slots' - not like a real gig.

I don't particularly want the band to play any festival dates (although I understand why they do) and the two 'festivals' they played over here recently were not all-day festival events - the band played a full set similar to their recent tour material with one support act.

If The Stranglers were to 'headline' Rebellion, it would be the only reason I would give it any consideration (and even than I'd probably give it a bye-ball).

Don't get me wrong, I have heard a lot of good reports and all you young 'uns seem to have a ball - but it don't float my boat. Too much dross to wade through to find the few acts that would inspire me to attend.
"It reeks of the UK 82 Punk"? Have to disagree with you there Mully. Yes, there's plenty of mohicans wearing studded leather jackets - just like there was at most Stranglers gigs throughout the early/mid 80's - but there's also those who're into 70's punk along with ska fans, rockabilly fans, skinheads and plenty of general music fans in plain attire. People are far too quick to judge, especially those who've never been... creating this image of glue sniffing, drug taking pissed mohicans gobbing everywhere causing havoc. The truth is far different though; just a fantastic bunch of people all having a good time with no trouble whatsoever.

As for the bands themselves, they cater for all the above tastes and more, and from over 250 punk/new wave/alternative bands covering five decades of music I'm surprised you'd only find a 'few' who'd interest you - not to mention the opportunity to discover new talent. With regards to the first wave bands "not matching their hey-day", do The Stranglers???, and as for the 'slots' not being like 'real gigs', most of the larger acts receive an hour or more which I think is more than reasonable.

Personally I have far more fun at Rebellion than I now have at Stranglers gigs, mainly because of the bullshit circus that the crowd has become. Far too many egos, far too many crisp t-shirts tucked neatly into black jeans and far too many wankers who complain if you happen to rest your arm upon their shoulder, or gently bump into them during 'Tank'.

Finally Mulster, if "all you young 'uns" included me, well cheers mate! I'm now 46!

Hope you're well. Stevie T.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Oh what I would give to be able to grow a mohican or mohawk :grin:

It's a brilliant festival but I don't think it needs the Stranglers and they don't need Rebellion. And headlining would mean a post midnight gig wouldn't it? Way past the bedtimeinblack :P
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Stevie.T-'up north'

Bobinblack wrote:Oh what I would give to be able to grow a mohican or mohawk :grin:

It's a brilliant festival but I don't think it needs the Stranglers and they don't need Rebellion. And headlining would mean a post midnight gig wouldn't it? Way past the bedtimeinblack :P
The Rebellion crowd often request The Stranglers but it's not for me to go into the reasons why it doesn't happen. As for The Stranglers not needing Rebellion, probably not but surely it's not just about the bands' needs. What about a simple acknowledgement to their past and the people who bought their early records? Let's be honest here, if it wasn't for the punk movement then The Stranglers' history/longevity would be different altogether.
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

I didn't go this year, but have ordered my ticket for next year
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I'm with Stevie T on the Rebellion debate. I used to give it a wide berth in the past and I really wish I could have made some of the recent years but it always falls at an inconvenient time for me.

I see many of the bands anyhow when they tour. Punks not dead yet.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:
Personally I have far more fun at Rebellion than I now have at Stranglers gigs, mainly because of the bullshit circus that the crowd has become. Far too many egos, far too many crisp t-shirts tucked neatly into black jeans and far too many wankers who complain if you happen to rest your arm upon their shoulder, or gently bump into them during 'Tank'.
Anyone gonna own up?
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

So what ? ........
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

PaulinLondon wrote:So what ? ........

Anyone else?