Worse Stranglers "career move"

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Worse Stranglers "career move"

Following up Golden Brown with La Folie
39%
Sweet Smell Of Success
3%
"American's have smaller brains"
4%
Aural Sculpture
3%
To continue after Hugh
14%
Euro-dismal
1%
Getting on the wrong side of the media
18%
Lack of decent publicity
9%
Something else (see below)
8%

Total votes: 185

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Worse Stranglers

Post by Alexinblack » 01 Jun 2013, 21:17

Letting Paul have that hairstyle for when he first joined the band to about 94. Been thinking about this one and I didn't like it when JJ didn't have his rip roaring bass in the mid 80s to much.

curfew61
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by curfew61 » 31 Mar 2015, 10:50

Any way you slice it if you are in bed with the media you get the breaks. I applaud the band for being in charge of their own destiny. Prime example is the Sight and Sound Guilford Concert. Massive thumbs up to them for thinking of their proper fans and walking off. A real kick in the teeth to the holier than thou BBC and all its lovvies and Thirty Years later even when the partial truth comes out why are we not shocked the BEEB still seem intent on covering up. What astonishes me is how people seem to forget so quick. This for me was the defining moment and do you know what here at home on a Cold, Windy March morning as I await my Shift at one O'clock knowing in a few weeks I get to see the MIB again and will enjoy every single second of the show knowing (hopefully) there are no skeletons in this closet and what the band give is a 110%. I know JJ has said he has made mistakes a plenty along the way but haven't we all. I think also when JJ picked up the spelling mistakes on Breakfast TV before the March on Tour pretty much showed what he still thinks. Top Band and the best the UK has produced in the last Forty Years and as the more world wise know the system is not Black and White and the reason we all love them is they have and always will do it their way.
" YOU SAY YOUR MY AMIGO "

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky » 31 Mar 2015, 12:21

no bad career moves at all........... they are still here arent they?

T.F.P.R.H.G
The Man They Love To Hate

Re:

Post by T.F.P.R.H.G » 31 Mar 2015, 12:32

Alex wrote:
ThruBeingCool wrote:Worst career move they ever made was the decision not to swear in their songs.....

think about it, the first four albums were littered with foul language, 'shit', 'fuck' & 'fucking' being the most common ones (although I'm struggling to think of anything on 'Black & White'.doh!)...also used 'Wog' which didn't harm them!...

....next time they really use foul language on their albums (apart from a little 'fuck!' on 'Money') is on 'Norfolk Coast'! One of the band's most critically acclaimed albums more than likely due to the use of 'fuck' on 'Into The Fire' & 'Sanfte Kuss'

imho!

My advice to The Stranglers: Swear more on record in future, guys! You're called 'The Stranglers'..please try & act a bit 'ard and live up to the image for chrissakes!..
:upyoursmatey:
:D
3 x cnuts, 1 x twat and a couple of assholes for the next album please.
Spandau ballet are to busy.
Saidagibb !

Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Re:

Post by Summer Dreamer » 01 Apr 2015, 22:23

T.F.P.R.H.G wrote:
Alex wrote:
ThruBeingCool wrote:Worst career move they ever made was the decision not to swear in their songs.....

think about it, the first four albums were littered with foul language, 'shit', 'fuck' & 'fucking' being the most common ones (although I'm struggling to think of anything on 'Black & White'.doh!)...also used 'Wog' which didn't harm them!...

....next time they really use foul language on their albums (apart from a little 'fuck!' on 'Money') is on 'Norfolk Coast'! One of the band's most critically acclaimed albums more than likely due to the use of 'fuck' on 'Into The Fire' & 'Sanfte Kuss'

imho!

My advice to The Stranglers: Swear more on record in future, guys! You're called 'The Stranglers'..please try & act a bit 'ard and live up to the image for chrissakes!..
:upyoursmatey:
:D
3 x cnuts, 1 x twat and a couple of assholes for the next album please.
Spandau ballet are to busy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Scaffolding pays good bread'

jetblacksdad

Post by jetblacksdad » 02 Apr 2015, 14:06

John Ellis on Guitar was the worst move.

Great guitarist but he just wasn't right.

They rushed it
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: Worse Stranglers "career move"

Post by Boody » 04 Apr 2015, 08:40

Why was the band already employing Ellis when Hugh got the heave ho? Were they playing stuff that really needed a second guitarist
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky » 04 Apr 2015, 09:27

he was employed primarily i believe because hugh was unable to play some of the newer songs from the 10 album without assistance due to the multi guitar sound of some of the songs jj said it was so he could stick his finger in his ear while he sang

Fraziel
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Fraziel » 25 Apr 2015, 21:33

Selecting Paul Roberts as singer and moving to a 5 piece trumps everything else on that list.

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 25 Apr 2015, 21:44

Worse career move was to carry on without Hugh.

They would have certainly reformed eventually and it would be Simple Minds supporting The Stranglers in 2015 if personal differences hadn't been resolved.

Still, we have all those classic albums to enjoy that wouldn't have been recorded if Hugh had stayed..

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: Worse Stranglers "career move"

Post by Boody » 27 Apr 2015, 08:15

Hugh leaving was his worst career move, even if he was forced out.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.

T.F.P.R.H.G

Post by T.F.P.R.H.G » 27 Apr 2015, 11:24

jj knocking fck out of all them jornos didnt help.
Saidagibb !