"The Sad Plight Of The Aborigine's"

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"The Sad Plight Of The Aborigine's"

Post by Greatkudu »

A very sad film last night on ITV about the plight of the Aborigines by John Pilger.It seems they are totally forgotten by the majority of white Australians and suffer terrible living conditions and discrimination.Of course John Pilger is known for his thought provoking documentaries,but this was one of the best I have seen.A very sad state of affairs,and a brave documentary from John Pilger.
db63
Rats Rally

Re: "The Sad Plight Of The Aborigine's"

Post by db63 »

I quite like them fried ,commonly called egg plant aren't they ?
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Went to Alice Springs quite a long time ago now (point to note - don't ever go there - frigging awful place, in the middle of nowhere!). Was informed upon arrival, do not go into town at night as the Aboriginals receive their royalty cheques this time of year and just spend it on booze, ad can be quite abusive to you. Was a very sad thing to hear. :smt009
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Ravenette wrote:Went to Alice Springs quite a long time ago now (point to note - don't ever go there - frigging awful place, in the middle of nowhere!). Was informed upon arrival, do not go into town at night as the Aboriginals receive their royalty cheques this time of year and just spend it on booze, ad can be quite abusive to you. Was a very sad thing to hear. :smt009
That's like saying you went to Glasgow and saw a drunk Scottish guy!!! :smt030
Aboriginal areas are 'dry' in more ways than one. Those you saw @ Alice Springs have been excluded from the reservations for drinking.
Any I did come across were really friendly, but @ 6'1" I was considerably bigger than all of them, which might have had something to do with it :wink:

I quite liked Alice Springs, loved the Frontierland mentality of the people there.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
Ravenette wrote:Went to Alice Springs quite a long time ago now (point to note - don't ever go there - frigging awful place, in the middle of nowhere!). Was informed upon arrival, do not go into town at night as the Aboriginals receive their royalty cheques this time of year and just spend it on booze, ad can be quite abusive to you. Was a very sad thing to hear. :smt009
That's like saying you went to Glasgow and saw a drunk Scottish guy!!! :smt030
Aboriginal areas are 'dry' in more ways than one. Those you saw @ Alice Springs have been excluded from the reservations for drinking.
Any I did come across were really friendly, but @ 6'1" I was considerably bigger than all of them, which might have had something to do with it :wink:

I quite liked Alice Springs, loved the Frontierland mentality of the people there.
We heeded the warnings and didn't go into the town (as the naive tourists we were at the time!). No doubt if we had ignored them, we may have found out the warnings were just scaremongering anyway, as holiday reps tend to do...
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
meanie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by meanie »

Greatkudu wrote:A very sad film last night on ITV about the plight of the Aborigines by John Pilger.It seems they are totally forgotten by the majority of white Australians and suffer terrible living conditions and discrimination.Of course John Pilger is known for his thought provoking documentaries,but this was one of the best I have seen.A very sad state of affairs,and a brave documentary from John Pilger.
Sorry, but the perception of Aboriginal people to people outside of Australia is one of "poor buggers" and 'Oh How sad', yep they've had a raw deal, a very bloody long time ago, these days they get twice as much as anyone, they're not proactive, they are a pretty violent bunch on the whole, who generally don't want to do anything to improve their standard of living. I've worked with a number of Aboriginal families and unfortunately, in the main, they're in it for what they can get and they won't do a thing to help themselves. On the other hand, those who are genuinely Aboriginal and proud of their culture are really great people, and they are in the main very disillusioned and angry at their own people. Another thing that really pisses everyone off is the amount of white people (usually alcoholics or junkies) who "identify" as Aboriginal, that means, basically you're a lazy drunken cunt who doesn't want to work, lowest of the low. I know people who reckon they're Aboriginal who are whiter than me.
Do not get caught with the perception that Aboriginality is romantic or quaint or you will come unstuck. Massive instances of domestic violence and child abuse, it's also considered a badge of honour to go to prison, so the youth try really hard to achieve that.
Nuff said, and I do actually have friends who are Aboriginal, just so you know I'm not some bitter and twisted racist.
I'll see you in the sewer!!!
mctownie
Ugly
Ugly

Post by mctownie »

Just come back from Australia - Adelaide & Perth watching England lose the Ashes.

The only people who I saw who were aggressive & drunk were all aborigine's (including a number of female's). Went to Freemantle Prison for the day and apparently 1 in 7 Male abo's are in jail which seems an incredibly large percentage.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I suggest you lock this thread Jim. It's a big issue , these threads only ever go tits up on a forum that is centred upon pop trivia.

Can' t actually believe that anyone who actually feels strongly about this would want to come here to attempt to discuss the subject.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yeah the Aussies should tell the Aborigines to go back to where they came from really shouldn't they! :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThruBeingCool wrote:I suggest you lock this thread Jim. It's a big issue , these threads only ever go tits up on a forum that is centred upon pop trivia.

Can' t actually believe that anyone who actually feels strongly about this would want to come here to attempt to discuss the subject.
Well I thought as The Stranglers have shown interest in this subject over the years,It might be of interest to some people.
I won't bother again and will stick to musical matters.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

An excellent and moving film by Pilger, which uncovers the systematic and deliberate degradation by successive Australian governments against the native population. Looking at some of the comments here it appears the Australian government have had some success in the way the Aboriginees are generalised and portrayed.
Greatkudu wrote:A very sad film last night on ITV about the plight of the Aborigines by John Pilger.It seems they are totally forgotten by the majority of white Australians and suffer terrible living conditions and discrimination.Of course John Pilger is known for his thought provoking documentaries,but this was one of the best I have seen.A very sad state of affairs,and a brave documentary from John Pilger.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

unbroken69 wrote:An excellent and moving film by Pilger, which uncovers the systematic and deliberate degradation by successive Australian governments against the native population. Looking at some of the comments here it appears the Australian government have had some success in the way the Aboriginees are generalised and portrayed.
Agreed,sadly most native people across the world are in a dire state,due to greed and money from the ruling majority.