XTC Nonsuch 5.1 Blu-ray Package

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

XTC Nonsuch 5.1 Blu-ray Package

Post by theraven1979 »

Anyone else digging this? My CD/DVD dropped through the post on Tues this week and I haven't stopped listening to it. Absolutely fantastic package. The sound is immense. There's also studio recording footage and demos. Lots to go at.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: XTC Nonsuch 5.1 Blu-ray Package

Post by Rockula »

Started watching/listening to it last night and I'll continue later. It's absolutely fantastic.
ManInBrown
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I was really in to this album when it first came out but I'm not sure if I want to invest in it again.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well worth it - It's been very nicely put together - even the inner booklet contains pages of new comments from all band members involved. Cost me £56 as I had to buy a Blu-ray player - money well spent

Jim
jason wrote:I was really in to this album when it first came out but I'm not sure if I want to invest in it again.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

theraven1979 wrote:Well worth it - It's been very nicely put together - even the inner booklet contains pages of new comments from all band members involved. Cost me £56 as I had to buy a Blu-ray player - money well spent

Jim
jason wrote:I was really in to this album when it first came out but I'm not sure if I want to invest in it again.
It is a great album for sure.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

One thing's for sure. Xtc's split must be fairly amicable. I can't imagine all MKI Stranglers giving the go ahead to a package like this with demos and all of them being involved and providing comments for inclusion etc.

Jim
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

theraven1979 wrote:One thing's for sure. Xtc's split must be fairly amicable. I can't imagine all MKI Stranglers giving the go ahead to a package like this with demos and all of them being involved and providing comments for inclusion etc.

Jim
I think, by 2005, Xtc was basically just Andy and Colin. And then Colin virtually gave up making music. He apparently no longer had any interest in writing, performing or even listening to music. Partridge has said he would not continue XTC without Moulding. I think that he has only appeared as a guest on about 5 recordings (mostly tracks on 'tribute' albums) since then.
Here's his latest contribution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjICmShJLmM

In 2008 the two started communicating directly again. Water under the bridge hopefully but I'm not holding my breath for any new Xtc recordings. They're also back in contact with long term guitarist Dave Gregory and Andy has mentioned the possibility of working with him again.

Since 2005 Andy has made a number of solo records as well as several collaboration albums with people like 'Stuart Rowes' ('Lighterthief'), 'Peter Blegvad', and most recently 'Mike Keneally'. He's also contributed and appeared on songs by 'Pugwash' and 'Milk & Honey Band' (both bands are distinctly Xtc influenced and worth checking out by the way.).
Here's one of the Mike Keneally tracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sug4hC3Ysb0
ManInBrown
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I've heard some of Andy's collaborations over the last few years and they're alright but y'know.

Jim
The Bee
Rats Rally

Post by The Bee »

I got the original when it came out and never
really listened to it. When I saw this thread I thought I'd give it a spin and I can't believe how good an album I have been missing for all these years. I will have to buy the 5.1 version now.
Looking forward to next spring when Drums & Wires gets the 5.1 treatment.