The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Greatkudu wrote:Sorry I forgot UB40.They are the only band In the whole history of my gig career that I have actually walked out because It was so bad.I saw the Stranglers supporting UB40 in Bournemouth in 2004.the Stranglers were great,so to get the value from the ticket I thought I would see what UB40 were like.They were so bad I walked out within 30 seconds of the opening number.The UB40 fans said to me "Are they that bad"? I replied yes.All you could hear was bass (not In a good way) and the sloth bear like warblings of the two front men,diabolical.
Well done that man :smt006 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :lol: . Why oh why oh WHY are The Stranglers supporting such utter dross as UB40 - exposureI suppose . I wouldn't even countenance buying a ticket to something UB40 were at , I wouldn't want them to have a single penny of mine. Stranglers yes - UB40 NO WAY . Its like me being a Leeds fan ( I am :oops: ) and going to Man Utd every week - wouldn't do it . So - The Clash aren't by any way the most over rated ever , pretty bad from London Calling onwards - but there are worse .
Incidentally , saw both in ,79 at B'ham Top Rank - Stranglers on Raven tour and Clash - 17 tons I think - The Stranglers from what I remember ( I am of course biased ) were a far better live sounding band then , The Clash if memory serves were after a while just noise . A bit to loud and unclear in sound - I think they had some bloke from a reggae band on with them at times - Ranking Roger maybe ?
All quiet ..........
paul b
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by paul b »

cunts all of you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
you know nothing about music :shock: :shock: :shock:
and it was mikey dread :lol: :lol: :lol:
"i'd crawl over 50 good pussies just to get to 1 fat boys asshole"
meanie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by meanie »

Something like "travellin' wiv de clash on a UK tour, seen faces and a places I ain't never seen before" ..... Mikey Dread? :shock:
I'll see you in the sewer!!!
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Thanks for the link mate.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Has anyone seen [or have] the 2012 film Rise & Fall of the Clash?

There's no DVD release here yet, only in Japan, and I'm not paying £30 for it on import.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

I heard that there was a film coming out about the Clash not sure it there will be much difference to what has been shown already.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Alexinblack wrote:I heard that there was a film coming out about the Clash not sure it there will be much difference to what has been shown already.

I think it's more about the post-Mick Jones Clash and what a train wreck it was, one of the guitarists they drafted in wrote a really interesting book about it.
Vince White I think it was.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah you can only get it online through his site - thought about it - any good?

Jim
Five Minutes wrote:
Alexinblack wrote:I heard that there was a film coming out about the Clash not sure it there will be much difference to what has been shown already.

I think it's more about the post-Mick Jones Clash and what a train wreck it was, one of the guitarists they drafted in wrote a really interesting book about it.
Vince White I think it was.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

^Yeah it's a very good read, he's an intelligent and amusing writer.

Accurate summing up:
http://www.vincewhite.com/Classic%20Rock%20review.jpg
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks mate

Jim
Five Minutes wrote:^Yeah it's a very good read, he's an intelligent and amusing writer.

Accurate summing up:
http://www.vincewhite.com/Classic%20Rock%20review.jpg
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

'Saw The Clash live in their early days (late 70's) and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I could never stomach NME's worship of this band contrasted with their hostility and/or indifference to us.
It seems that The Clash always attracted the kind of left-leaning intelligentsia who can't just let their ears alone do the listening when it comes to music.