Lydon why so big?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here
Derbyducks in Black
Rats Rally

Re: Lydon why so big?

Post by Derbyducks in Black »

Ribery wrote:Public image only released one good song, the first single. The rest was self indulgent crap.
Seconded.. :smt023

Cheers
David
Anyone seen Sir Winkler...
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

"Lydon why so big?" Quote: Pidge.

BURGERS & BEER
Mr K. Levine
Something better change!
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

Alexinblack wrote:There is only a few of the old PIL stuff that I like, but I've heard quite a few songs of there new album and they sound pretty good.
unfortunately not :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

adriana wrote:Pigeon, since when has commercial success/viability been in any way an indicator of quality.... Stock, Aitken and Waterman were planning a 'Hit Factory' gig in Hyde Park last month... they sold lots and lots of records to pre-teenage girls! But it's not good.

PiL need to be considered in context. 1978, Johnny Rotten was a washed up, fucked up victim of the punk wars. 1979, John Lydon and his PiL cohorts produce Metal Box and unleash a collection of songs that were completely unexpected and different. Like the Pistols before them, PiL took the UK music scene in the next direction (so called post-punk).

Is it not time that we as Stranglers fans stop looking for excuses as to why the band are not lauded in the way that we believe they should be (Jon Savage, BBC.... unfair blah blah blah).

At the end of the day The Stranglers at the time when it mattered most were a beligerant bunch and those institutions whose patronage is so vital to a band attaining maximum commercial success were on the receiving end of the band's venom. That is the underlying reason for the band's commercial success (or rather lack of).

BTW, the new album 'This Is PiL' is anything but commercial.... it is however, very good.
You answerd your own question, he was washed up after the sex pistols, so one year in the music industry irrelevent to Public Image LTD has made him the leading spokesmen of punk rock?. For the one album the pistols made though he deserves all the plaudits, but i dont think that will make him a legend,maybe had the pistols never got rid of Matlock and got Sid in they would of had a good carrer, and devolp into a great band.

If there was only one album to make then most of the punk bands won't better "Never mind the Bollocks",it will still be a classic in 25 years time.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Total wank who portrays the white Irish council estate dude....ask LA..very smart just don't come over and pretend you're one o of the troops.
Found out on Question Time...dick
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Have to agree there Apollo 79
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

'Lydon why so big?' Well, it's obviously because he uses full fat Country Life butter instead of one of the far more healthy low fat alternatives. :)
ManInBrown
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Rockula wrote:'Lydon why so big?' Well, it's obviously because he uses full fat Country Life butter instead of one of the far more healthy low fat alternatives. :)

And i hate Country life butter, prefer Lurpack myself.
fuzzguitars
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by fuzzguitars »

APOLLO79 wrote:Total wank who portrays the white Irish council estate dude....ask LA..very smart just don't come over and pretend you're one o of the troops.

Guess you don't like him then, I find him highly amusing and entertaining even on butter ads, although not all his output has been of a high standard he did take chances, metal box sounds like no other and as mentioned on these pages the new one is pretty good too. Good to hear the Pistols during the Olympics opening and for an Irish council estate dude he seems very much part of British musical history.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Can't wait to see PIL next week . :grin:
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

fuzzguitars wrote:
APOLLO79 wrote:Total wank who portrays the white Irish council estate dude....ask LA..very smart just don't come over and pretend you're one o of the troops.

Guess you don't like him then, I find him highly amusing and entertaining even on butter ads, although not all his output has been of a high standard he did take chances, metal box sounds like no other and as mentioned on these pages the new one is pretty good too. Good to hear the Pistols during the Olympics opening and for an Irish council estate dude he seems very much part of British musical history.
so is Val Doonigan :wink:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

pigeon wrote:
Rockula wrote:'Lydon why so big?' Well, it's obviously because he uses full fat Country Life butter instead of one of the far more healthy low fat alternatives. :)

And i hate Country life butter, prefer Lurpack myself.

so does Sid...ahem.. :smt005