The new Doctor Who

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake »

I was going to add another comment about how Matt Smith isn't working out for me, but there's only so much repeating oneself that can be done. I am reading a book at the moment which connects the stranglers and doctor who, well one paragraph only but I don't want to post that here as it somehow seems too significant to get lost in this thread, but then again only Doctor Who fans will be interested and it would more likely be lost in the stranglers mark one section as a thread of its own. I have searched and could find no reference to a book called 'Dalek I loved you, by Nick Griffiths. To say I find the guy a bit irritating at times is an under-statement, but he was quite clearly much in awe of the stranglers, here is the said excerpt (interestingly enough from a section of the book about things that have embarrassed him):
Reading Festival 1983- I went because Big Country were playing, but I also liked Friday's headliners, The Stranglers. I'm standing there singing along, and Hugh Cornwell reaches the line in Who Wants The World, 'Tasted man, tasted flea, couldn't tell the difference'. I get the words wrong and sing, "Tasted man, tasted woman" as if I am some sort of cunnilingus expert. The couple in front of me hear this, turn around, spot the 17 year old virgin, and burst out laughing. It still floors me. Twenty-three years later.
There you go. I must admit just as I was beginning to get more and more irritated by the author my heart jumped when I read this. 'Dalek I loved you' is no literary masterpiece and I have mixed feelings towards the author ( a TV critic with the Daily mail no less) but it is strangely compelling reading at times, not quite finished it but I will imminently have finished said novel.

Slightly off topic I just watched the first episode of a new series on the BBC I-player called 'The Hour', so far I found it more compelling than the current Doctor Who- well worth checking out!

Cheers
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Sort of watched the second part of the new season last night - when i say "sort of " , turned it on , watched Matt Smith attempt to act for about 5 minutes , got pissed off and turned the channel over .
All quiet ..........
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Im starting to get into the new Dr, took time but im warming too him.
He had a tough job after David Tennant, he go down as one of the best Drs ever.
Im also enjoying the story too, i like this useing the whole series revolving around the story.
Do miss the daleks and the master..
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Introduce Hitler as a secondary character. Then shove him in a cupboard and forget him for the rest of the episode.

Genius.
ManInBrown
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Jake wrote:.... but there's only so much repeating oneself that can be done.

:lol: :mrgreen: :smt005 :smt005 :smt042 :smt043 :smt043 :smt044 :smt080 :smt081 :smt082 :lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

EckyEckyNahNah wrote:I adore Dr. Who. Not only for the acting, stories and ethics that it can create etc

But for the fact, my son, daughter and my gorgeous wife and I all sit round and watch it together on a Saturday night after we've sat down for a meal.
Two up, two down, 2.5 and a dish of the roof for soaps?? :shock:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I enjoyed this one more than usual, still prefer Torchwood at the moment though, also been enjoying old blakes 7 episodes which is slightly related to Doctor Who
Mr-Tele
Rats Rally

Post by Mr-Tele »

Quite enjoyed the last one me-self! :grin:
They’ve been cooking on Blue Peter
Now they’re sampling the dishes
“I don’t normally like tomatoes, John
But this is delicious”
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Well

What a load of bloody crap that series finale was....
Cricky it was dreadful.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I thought it was awesome, although the very ending was a bit predictable. Was fun getting there though... such is life.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
ceebs
Rats Rally

Post by ceebs »

Really nice nod to Nicholas Courtney in tonights episode though. Very poignant but fitting that his passing was acknowledged within the show.
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

good point about the brig/ nick courtney above, although I only skim watched last night , I have been enjoying the last few episodes more, maybe even warming to Smith a bit more now as well, still think a regeneration is needed perhaps in time for the 50th anniversary, but yeah good who atm, and some Sarah Jane Adventures due to start this week, Lis Sladen's screen finale, how terribly sad. I was watching Genesis of the Daleks this week and it still hasn't really sunk in that Lis Sladen's gone :(