Straighten Out - Hope & Anchor 18th June 2011

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Straighten Out - Hope & Anchor 18th June 2011

Post by 50millionwatches »

pigeon wrote: we went to a pub,and it was next to the Camden centre were The Stranglers Convention will be, nice place.
The Dolphin. Formerly The Blue Dolphin, when in the eighties Newcastle United supporters used to stop here before handing out a good hammering to Tottenham...
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Sounds like a memorable night and I wish I could have been there, but family commitments meant it was not to be I'm afraid.

As regards Sid's comments about fairly low attendance, I agree that this is a great pity and despite not actually living anywhere near London, Swindon or Birmingham I have seen them perform at all 3 places and enjoyed every gig immensly.
It is sad to know that the band make great efforts to travel around the country and return with little to show for it, however there are 2 points here I feel:

If they are playing in the band for the sheer pleasure of performing great songs to an apreciative and loyal audience as a pastime then nobody should really expect financial gain from their hobby, you would'nt go on a fishing or golfing weekend and expect to return home having made a profit would you?

However,
If on the other hand, the band need to make profitable returns for their sterling efforts then they need to attract a larger crowd of local people and not rely on a core of hardcore fans who may not always have the time or financial ability to travel to the gigs.
Futhermore, as I have mentioned before to the band themselves on more than one occasion, the ticket price is far too low, did I hear it was 6 quid at Swindon? Thats ridiculous, I see quite a few tribute bands throughout the year and its normally around 12 quid and often more.........I of course would prefer to pay less than more but am realistic enough to realise that ends have to be met.

So there you have it, food for thought perhaps?
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

PS Hi To 50millionwatches!
from Bernie Burn e 77
Something better change!
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

Burn e 77 wrote:PS Hi To 50millionwatches!
from Bernie Burn e 77
:smt006 Yo Bernie!
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

ravenlunatic wrote:
however there are 2 points here I feel:

If they are playing in the band for the sheer pleasure of performing great songs to an apreciative and loyal audience as a pastime then nobody should really expect financial gain from their hobby, you would'nt go on a fishing or golfing weekend and expect to return home having made a profit would you?

However,
If on the other hand, the band need to make profitable returns for their sterling efforts then they need to attract a larger crowd of local people and not rely on a core of hardcore fans who may not always have the time or financial ability to travel to the gigs.
Futhermore, as I have mentioned before to the band themselves on more than one occasion, the ticket price is far too low, did I hear it was 6 quid at Swindon? Thats ridiculous, I see quite a few tribute bands throughout the year and its normally around 12 quid and often more.........I of course would prefer to pay less than more but am realistic enough to realise that ends have to be met.

So there you have it, food for thought perhaps?
Its a very fair point - and i'm not sure of the answer.

I watch a lot of 'covers' bands and they are paid by the pub and its usually free to go in. 'Tribute' bands seem to be a different story mind :smt017
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Yes Brian, they have various covers bands on every week at the local village pub, the landlord has a budget of 200 quid for the band and its paid for from drink profits, and they are often dreadful. However, as an example I am going to see Limehouse Lizzy on thursday.....Thin Lizzy tribute, very authentic both visually and musically, (but probably not any better than Straighten out) its £16 a head! They play in the local arts centre venue every year and usually have a 200 or so strong crowd
To be honest if I saw an advert for a band and it was £6 I'd probably assume they were crap and not bother going.

They need to raise their game witha few local press releases about forthcoming gigs maybe team up with a similiar band (Clash tribute perhaps?) for some double bill gigs and set a reasonable ticket price that ensures they don't go home empty handed.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

50millionwatches wrote:
pigeon wrote: we went to a pub,and it was next to the Camden centre were The Stranglers Convention will be, nice place.
The Dolphin. Formerly The Blue Dolphin, when in the eighties Newcastle United supporters used to stop here before handing out a good hammering to Tottenham...
The Dolphin thats the one. Glad i was on the coke all night. Actually come to think of it i don't like Alcohol that much to begin with,don't really need it to enjoy myself, But as always im in the minority.
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

Sounds like a very good and interesting night once again, shame I had to work as I would loved to have been there!!!
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Great suff guys, cheers for the pix and words (and calls on the mobile :lol: ).
Looking forward to the Glasgow date in August.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Alias wrote:Great suff guys, cheers for the pix and words (and calls on the mobile :lol: ).
Looking forward to the Glasgow date in August.

I got a message from you asking why I was ringing you from a car wash ? :| :smt061

I wasn't. I was ringing you from the very front of the stage, about 2 yards from Shaggy's bass rig. :lol:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

ravenlunatic wrote:Yes Brian, they have various covers bands on every week at the local village pub, the landlord has a budget of 200 quid for the band and its paid for from drink profits, and they are often dreadful. However, as an example I am going to see Limehouse Lizzy on thursday.....Thin Lizzy tribute, very authentic both visually and musically, (but probably not any better than Straighten out) its £16 a head! They play in the local arts centre venue every year and usually have a 200 or so strong crowd
To be honest if I saw an advert for a band and it was £6 I'd probably assume they were crap and not bother going.

They need to raise their game witha few local press releases about forthcoming gigs maybe team up with a similiar band (Clash tribute perhaps?) for some double bill gigs and set a reasonable ticket price that ensures they don't go home empty handed.

I have seen SO at a couple of venues in London and also a couple times in Swindon and I would happily pay more to see them than what they currently charge.

Thats not because I have money to burn, or because I feel sorry for them its just that I have always had a great time and their latest line-up is excellent.

So I would not feel ripped off if I paid double to see them :!: 8)

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

A spoke to Al yesterday - what was said was obviously between me and him but needless to say he was a very happy Finchley Boy indeed.

Wish I coulda been there.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"