Killing Joke tour & new album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Killing Joke tour & new album

Post by Tim »

Paul Raven was pretty damned fookin' cool...not keen on his blazer wearing replacement either, even if he was the original bassist. Looks like he should be in Genesis. Would be like Hugh coming back to the Stranglers in his cowboy outfit.
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Youth's a bit sports casual isn't he! Like Alan Partridge :shock:
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

jason wrote:Youth's a bit sports casual isn't he! Like Alan Partridge :shock:
:grin:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Youth V Raven, Youth is a great musician and producer who's produced some shite bands, but then all good producers have generally produced shit bands. Youth is defo a lot more hippy than Raven was - granted, and of course they're gonna miss him :( but when all's said and done I can't think how it would have continued without Youth as a bass player really. There's an interesting piece I found online about the music that influenced Youth, I shoulda posted it and will see if I can find it, it makes for interesting reading and how Youth saw the music of Killing Joke being influenced, no stranglers in there, but there was PIL for sure, pistols I think, but lots of stuff you would probably think eeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwwwww, but maybe not Beatles, floyd, Can were definitley in there. Whereas Raven you are thinking must have been influenced by the stranglers with a name like that 8)

Edit- wasn't quite specific about what Youth saw as influencing Killing Joke, but sure it gets a mention, it's his 13 favorite recirds errrrr OK, no there was some alright stuff in there for sure http://thequietus.com/articles/05965-ki ... rds?page=1
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

I've got the perfect bass player for Killing Joke - JJ Burnel! Would be fookin cool watching JJ playing some of those Killing Joke songs!
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Youth v Raven-I don't really rate either as a bass player to be honest. The bass is the least important instrument in KJ IMHO. Youth's really early bass lines (eg Wardance) are pretty simple but have a great, snarling sound. Raven's stuff was all pretty simple too.
It's all about the guitar!!
Did someone say "Wonky"?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

more or less what I was saying Owen, well kind of :wink:

Killing Joke without Geordie, don't even think it. Official site has been updates if anyone's interested and European Super State finally coming out as a single, but very ,imited, so fuck know's if I'll get me hands on it, but fucking great song and an anthem for the end of the world next year, but some christian nut said it would be today :o :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"European Super State" is awful IMO - makes me cringe when I hear it - sounds like something the Pet Shop Boys would come out with.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

theraven1979 wrote:"European Super State" is awful IMO - makes me cringe when I hear it - sounds like something the Pet Shop Boys would come out with.

Jim

I can't really see it Jim, the Pet Shop Boys were not exactly known for commenting on geopolitical issues, and musically sounds nothing like the pet shop boys either, take those mufflers off your ears for christ sake. Ok it's your opinion, but you're badly wrong and anyway you don't even like killing joke according to previous posts :?: :?: :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

:lol: :lol:

Jake wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:"European Super State" is awful IMO - makes me cringe when I hear it - sounds like something the Pet Shop Boys would come out with.

Jim

I can't really see it Jim, the Pet Shop Boys were not exactly known for commenting on geopolitical issues, and musically sounds nothing like the pet shop boys either, take those mufflers off your ears for christ sake. Ok it's your opinion, but you're badly wrong and anyway you don't even like killing joke according to previous posts :?: :?: :lol:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

mantheylovetohate wrote:Youth v Raven-I don't really rate either as a bass player to be honest. The bass is the least important instrument in KJ IMHO. Youth's really early bass lines (eg Wardance) are pretty simple but have a great, snarling sound. Raven's stuff was all pretty simple too.
I agree with that Owen. However when they are playing live I think Raven had a presence on stage that Youth doesn't offer. A bit of menace, not unlike a certain bassist closer to home. :twisted:
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
BazinBlack
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by BazinBlack »

Hammer wrote:
mantheylovetohate wrote:Youth v Raven-I don't really rate either as a bass player to be honest. The bass is the least important instrument in KJ IMHO. Youth's really early bass lines (eg Wardance) are pretty simple but have a great, snarling sound. Raven's stuff was all pretty simple too.
I agree with that Owen. However when they are playing live I think Raven had a presence on stage that Youth doesn't offer. A bit of menace, not unlike a certain bassist closer to home. :twisted:

Not to forget that tribal drumming in the background which for me made the early sound along with the guitar.
Strolling along minding my own business.....