Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' r

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

adam_neil wrote:
tugg speedman wrote:Ok so we have a few Guitar players on here. What guitars do you own? I will start the ball rolling 1. Fender Telecaster (usa) 2. Gibson Les Paul Tribute. It would be interesting to see what everyone has got.
Sweet couple of axes there Tugg, Gibson have only produced 120 (in each colour) of those Tributes so a very nice item to have. Nice one. :wink:

Adam
Nice one indeed, I bet that was a few pennies Mr Tugg!
8)
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

Fender Telecaster US 1977 Left Hand; Epiphone PR5E Electro-Acoustic Left Hand; Watkins Rapier 22 early 60's Left Hand; Columbus Les Paul copy, right hand converted to left hand.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
tugg speedman
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by tugg speedman »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
adam_neil wrote:
tugg speedman wrote:Ok so we have a few Guitar players on here. What guitars do you own? I will start the ball rolling 1. Fender Telecaster (usa) 2. Gibson Les Paul Tribute. It would be interesting to see what everyone has got.
Sweet couple of axes there Tugg, Gibson have only produced 120 (in each colour) of those Tributes so a very nice item to have. Nice one. :wink:

Adam
Nice one indeed, I bet that was a few pennies Mr Tugg!
8)
Lucklily It was only £749. What a bargain.
IN THE FAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEE
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Fellow Fret Wankers:
'84 USA Strat, '93 USA Tele, '72 P bass, Epiphone SG, 80's Tokai Tele "breezysound", Kinkade Rosewood Tele, Kinkade Model P Acoustic. An inherited Kinkade Broadbass, various acoustics in various states of unrest...... some with 6 strings some not. Far too many really.... Used to have '68 Telecaster which got nicked :cry:

'94 Fender Twin for live and a Line 6 thing for rehearsing , which to be fair is not a bad little amp except the channel switching is awful. :?

Effects: Three Yamaha FX 900 rack mounts 'cos I'm a greedy, and mi beloved :smt007 Korg SDD 2000.
One number Boss Turbo Overdrive pedal - which has bailed me out on many occasion.
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
pigeon wrote:Nice one Arther

I love playing "Blackened", "Fade to black", "(Welcome home) Sanatarium", "Battery", "Sad but true" "Master of Puttets" "to live is to die", "Creeping death", "Dissposable heroes", "Seek and destroy" & "Jump in the fire" to name a few i also like playing "Dyers eve" but with the super fast stuff it's trying to make the speed of it all sound good and not like mush.
What picking techniques are you using to improve certain speeds?
After playing Geetar for what seems like 130 years ive only sussed out what my picking technique is all about. I thought it was all about being bloody hopeless! but it's not too bad actually, seems Ive been 'Economy Picking' all these years, i remember starting doing this in about 1993 but not really progressed that much on it since. The last week has been spent practising Economy Picking for about 10 minutes each day and I can see the improvement already.

I can't understand why people 'Alternate Pick' unless it's on one or two strings, seems a bit daft after picking a string on the downstroke to go over the top of the next string down and do an upstroke (instead of a downstroke followed by another downstroke)
Saying that shredders like Paul Gilbert use Alternate Picking to fine effect though innit.

d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u

or

d u d d u d d u d d u d d u d d u d
?

My guitar had a EMG pickup on it to give it that warm sound. For metallica songs i mainly Downstroke using open e a lot as that is what they are famous for. The only times i use Alternate picking is for songs like "Fade to black" were you use a Hammer on all chords but alternate picking on the AMinor, C, G, & EM chords. So once you first hammer on the Am you go back on yourself on the same chords and alternante pick to give the notes distiction of character.

For the thrashing sound theres a way you have to hold the plectrum, with your thumb and first finger so they scratch the top 2 strings but its very important to (gallop which is very important part of the speed) at an angle black jim dunlop pick nylon 10m pics are the best. Also string wise go for Earnie ball Custom gauge 11.

Also other important bit well not really that important wide leg stance, Grey goatte beard, Tattoos, and play your guitar swung low!. non of this standing still with guitar strapped near your stomach stance. Oh headbang to. A Mullet would be required.
tugg speedman
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by tugg speedman »

Im surprised you got a warm sound from a EMG pickup as the are harsh sounding mainly for Dare i say it METAL. Dont you mean a 1.0 mm pick otherwise it would be far to thick. You dont necessarily need to go as far as 11 tbh i mean Jimmy Page uses 8s and he aint no slouch.
IN THE FAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEE
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

With the latest amps Metallica use now which is Messa boogie amps they have swapped the 89 justice brutally fast insane heavily sound for a much more mainstream heavy sound now. They have gone forward with the times.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Happy 50th!
Best Guitar design ever?

Probably, I love me SG but I think the Strat is far more comfy, just fits right, innit.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

pigeon wrote:With the latest amps Metallica use now which is Messa boogie amps they have swapped the 89 justice brutally fast insane heavily sound for a much more mainstream heavy sound now. They have gone forward with the times.
Never tried a Mesa, any good?
Love the look of those little Mesa Boogie combos, very pricey though.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

pigeon wrote:With the latest amps Metallica use now which is Messa boogie amps they have swapped the 89 justice brutally fast insane heavily sound for a much more mainstream heavy sound now. They have gone forward with the times.
You are fooking having a laugh mate.... :shock:
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Post by fourth horseman »

This was a novel thread. Always been a bass player but I play more and more guitar now.

I've got a fender telecaster and a shaftsbury rick copy - both lovely.

I used to echo most people's sentiments on here about Gibson Explorers, but the guitarist in my band plays one and I have to say, they''re a iot more versatile then people give them credit for. The look has grown on me too.
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

fourth horseman wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 15:19 This was a novel thread. Always been a bass player but I play more and more guitar now.

I've got a fender telecaster and a shaftsbury rick copy - both lovely.

I used to echo most people's sentiments on here about Gibson Explorers, but the guitarist in my band plays one and I have to say, they''re a iot more versatile then people give them credit for. The look has grown on me too.
Hey great thread! Totally forgot about it, thanks for bringing it back! Anyway just to add my newest toy is yet another BOSS fx pedal, this ones a BOSS Reverb RV6 and very nice it is.
Next for the collection is gonna be a BOSS Volume pedal, there’s two versions, but I’m gonna have to work out the difference between High Impedance vs Low Impedance first. ?