Worst Gig EVER!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Worst Gig EVER!

Post by Alias »

Probably been done before, but I can't find it.
All this talk about best bands and worst bands got me thinking, as did a
conversation we had on Wednesday night before the SOD gig-
What was the worst gig you ever went to?

Some surprising answers on the night, Mick, the Jokerface guitarist,
probably won it with his recollections, summarised below-

Late 70's, Glasgow Apollo, him and his mates scored free briefs for a gig.
They turned up, declared the support band total mince, hung around for the
headliner, who none of them had heard of. Stayed for 2 songs, looked at
each other and said, "This isn't punk, issit?" and left for the pub instead.

Support band that night?
Joy Division.
Headliner?
Captain Beefheart!

I reckon that tops my "Nolans" story :lol:

Anymore?
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
jimmcgoldrick
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Worst Gig EVER!

Post by jimmcgoldrick »

Ex girlfriend took me to see TOPLOADER at the Barrowland about 10 yr ago. It was that bad i spent most of the night drinking in the down stairs bar.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

jimmcgoldrick wrote:Ex girlfriend took me to see TOPLOADER at the Barrowland about 10 yr ago. It was that bad i spent most of the night drinking in the down stairs bar.
:lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Worst gig EVER has to be Hugh Cornwell at Bradford Queens Hall early 90's - Truly dreadful :( Not funny then and not funny now either - whereas......

Mi own worst gig EVER! General Wolfe, Coventry 27th June 1987. Bass player was that pissed he passed out on stage. :twisted:
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

At Newcastle Poly in the early 80s, when The Tube was recorded just down the road, I was persuaded to go and see a band called Feelabeelia as they would be on The Tube the next night and potentially huge within weeks.
I counted the audience at 11 in total. :shock:
There were 4 of us, and we left after 3 songs, bringing the attendance down comfortably within single figures, and I bet most of them didn't stick it for much longer . :smt009
raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack »

cant think of any real shite gigs........there has to be one somewhere in my memory. Oh aye. From the Jam. Preston a couple of years back. Not the Jam!
just hanging around
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Easy peasy, Saturday 8th April 2006 Killing Joke @ Glasgow ABC Hossanas tour. Dreadful sound.
Actually contemplated leaving for an earlier train.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

The Beautiful South - Ulster Hall. Tickets bought by me as a birthday present for an ex-girlfriend. Absolute pish concert. Most enjoyable part off the gig was watching a huge inflatable ball being bounced around the crowd (and awaiting it's arrival with my lit cigarette!!)

Unfortunately never arrived my way :evil:
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Black Grape at Brixton Academy.... Must have been 1996 or so, and their album was great (even if you weren't straight) ... turned up at the Academy around 8.30 or so, expecting a normal, 9 - 9.30 start.... they staggered on stage at 1.30am... Sound was awful, couldn't hear a word thht was being sung or even said when Shaun Ryder was addressing the crowd... band clearly on another planet, unable to play the songs remotely like they were recorded. Buggered off into the night to get a fucking succession of Night Buses after three songs. Cnuts!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Notabadbandatall

Post by Notabadbandatall »

Hawkwind - Hammersmith Odeon around 1986 I think - Boring pile of tit wank :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

I remember being particly bored at a Gary Moore gig in Bradford in the 90s, and I hated The Tiny Dancers at Leeds Cockpit a couple of years ago. Van Morrison was possibly THE worst though, because the cranky old bastard was in one of his moods apparently and so played none of his 'commercial' songs to the sell-out audience.

That gig was made worse because the bint I was engaged to at the time thought I was taking her to see fecking Van Halen, I kiddeth you not :evil:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

The Clash, Ulster Hall, 1982-ish.
Remember walking out at the end thinking it was totally shite.
rotten thoughts