SQUEEZE & THE LIGHTNING SEEDS ON TOUR 2010

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

SQUEEZE & THE LIGHTNING SEEDS ON TOUR 2010

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Ever seen a gig advertised that you’re not overly enthusiastic about but think “wouldn’t mind seeing that all the same”? Well that’s how I felt about last nights gig at The Nottingham Royal Concert Hall featuring Squeeze and The Lightning Seeds. Neither are anywhere near the top of my favourite bands list but I do own records by both and must admit that they do have quite a few top tunes between them. Don’t think I’d make the effort to see them individually but on the same bill, well, sounded like a decent night out to me. Especially as I was on a freebie due to my close connections with the venue.

Anyhow, there I was high up in the rafters last night in my cosy seat and with my pint of Guinness (Oh! And the wife as well) doing a bit of people watching whilst awaiting the arrival of The Lightning Seeds. Fuck me I felt old! I was kind of smirking at all these middle aged people in their smart but casual clothes who really should be at home with their pipe & slippers etc instead of listening to pop bands from their youth…..Then I realised that this was/is my generation! And I must have fitted in perfectly..bah! For some reason I don’t feel old at Stranglers gigs or some of the other bands I see. I’m obviously in denial about my age (sniff!).Still, The Nottingham Concert Hall does have that effect on you, it’s gotta be one of the worst venues for a rock ‘n’roll gig (using the term loosely here btw regarding last night) but is great for a bit of theatre or cabaret or political party conferences.

I digress.

Ian Broudie & Co eventually took to the stage in front of an almost full house. This show was sold out and most punters were in their seats for The Lightning Seeds set which is no mean feat for a support band especially when you consider that the venue has a capacity of 2500. OK, The Lightning Seeds are just as well known as Squeeze and the pulling power of both bands ensured the high turn out. Doubt if the headliners would have had such a big audience with an unknown support act. Could be wrong though, which I often am. Anyway, The Lightning Seeds entertained us all with approx 45 minutes of their most well known songs which (if you need reminding) included the likes of ‘Pure’, ‘Life Of Reilly’, ‘Lucky You’ but thankfully no ‘Three Lions’. I thought they were really quite good even if the vocals were a little strained in places and some of the hits not sounding as good without the polish of their recorded versions.

So onto the headliners - Squeeze. One of those bands who were a little too far on the soft side of New Wave and simply just not punky enough for me when I was a teenager. Just like Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, The Boomtown Rats and various others from that era. Although I bought records by them all I just didn’t really appreciate them first time around aside from the odd single, never fancied their gigs way back then. However, as I get older (or should I say old?) I’m starting to discover the bands that I maybe should have paid more attention to in the first place. Squeeze were/are definitely worth another listen imho on last nights evidence I‘m pleased to say.

The main culprits Chris Difford & Glen Tillbrook (in a very 80’s silver pop star suit) lead a five piece band which also included Steve Naïve on keyboards and a bass player and drummer whose names escape me. Not sure if they were Squeeze originals or not but it’s not important as they all provided us with a most enjoyable set of Squeeze’s greatest hits with a few other less memorable numbers thrown in to boot. There was also a quite surreal moment when all the members of the band stopped playing and performed a boy band type dance routine! WTF was that all about? I thought. Anyway, just when you’re thinking that they’ve played all their most famous songs along crops up a few more which you’ve forgotten about over the years. I thought there was nothing left after they finished the main set with ‘Cool For Cats’ -only for them to encore with ‘Another Nail In My Heart’, ‘Pulling Mussels From A Shell’ and a quite excellent ‘Slap And Tickle’.

All pleasant foot tapping stuff I mused as I sat there in my comfy seat and when I pulled myself up after the gig and felt like an old man with my aching bones and bad back after sitting for too long I realised that this type of gig experience is now the future for me. Fuck going down the front and mosh pits. Time to act my age and sit on my lard arse and nod my head appreciatively from now on in the comfort of my seat. With a beer of course just to show that I’m still really rock’n’roll at heart.

One of the T-Shirts at the merch stall had printed on it “I QUITE LIKE SQUEEZE”. Wish I’d bought one as it pretty much sums up the way I feel about ‘em!

Not a bad night at all. Having said that, I could be talking shite as I was very, very sober at the time.
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Re: SQUEEZE & THE LIGHTNING SEEDS ON TOUR 2010

Post by Blackbeered »

Nice, honest review Bazza, glad you enjoyed it.

Not so sure about your future gigs all being spent sitting in a comfy seat though...........how can you not want to be down the front when Genetix or Sewer spark up :?: :idea:

Btw, I have to say, I fcukin HATE The Lightning Seeds.....just IMHO :evil:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
beebop
Rats Rally

Post by beebop »

Was tempted to put my slippers on and see the same Bill at the Symphony Hall in Brum but decided against it .... Was there any sing-a-long moments Mr Spooner ?
Notabadbandatall

Post by Notabadbandatall »

I wanted to see them at the 02 Academy in Bournemouth, but they did not have any seats so I decided not to go!!!
newyorkjohnny
Down In The Sewer

Post by newyorkjohnny »

Squeeze was the first proper band I saw live (opening for Eddie & The Hot Rods and the Radio Stars) back in 1978. Haven't seen them since and wouldn't really call myself a fan although I have a few 45s and a couple of the early LPs. I got offered a freebie for their gig in Aberdeen tomorrow which I knocked back. Kinda think I was a bit hasty after reading that. Oh well.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I really like Squeeze. I've not got all their albums but I realy like most of their stuff. Glenn Tilbrook has got a really good voice and is a great songwriter. He reminds me of Hugh a bit.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Great review, Bazza. 8)
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Saw 'em twice back in the 90's. Very good they were too.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

beebop wrote:... Was there any sing-a-long moments Mr Spooner ?

Plenty........

As well as the ones that I mentioned in my review we also got;

Take Me I'm Yours
Goodbye Girl
Is That Love?
Tempted
Labelled With Love
Black Coffee In Bed
Annie Get Your Gun
Up The Junction

Not as good as the singalong moments on the Paris Metro I will concede me old Beebop-a lu-la! :smt004
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

newyorkjohnny wrote: I got offered a freebie for their gig in Aberdeen tomorrow which I knocked back. Kinda think I was a bit hasty after reading that. Oh well.
Nevermind NYJ :!:

You ought to have took up the offer of a freebie though. Especially as tickets were well over 30 quid. You would have had a reet bargain! :smt004
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Chris difford is the most boringist artist i have ever had the misfortune of seeing at the JJ & Baz acoustic gig at canary wharf. Can't believe JJ & Baz werent headlineing.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote:I really like Squeeze. I've not got all their albums but I realy like most of their stuff. Glenn Tilbrook has got a really good voice and is a great songwriter. He reminds me of Hugh a bit.
Tilbrook is probably a more technically accomplished guitarist than Cornwell, but Cornwell is the more interesting guitarist IMHO. Aside from that, they both manage to come up with bewildering chord progressions in their songs. That Squeeze song "King George Street" has more chords in it than a most albums I've heard, I'm sure.

I'm quite fond of the first four Squeeze albums - there's some interesting stuff there amongst the catchy poppiness.