Barcelona

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Barcelona

Post by theraven1979 »

Anyone been? Any tips, places to eat / drink recommendations?

Cheers

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Sancho Panza
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Barcelona

Post by Sancho Panza »

Wonderful city.

If you stay around the La Ramblas (main thorughfare from Plaza Catalunya to the sea front) you can't go far wrong.

La Ramblas is vibrant, loads of tapas bars, cafes etc and clubs.

The tourist bus (Bus Touristic!) is very good and well priced, points of interest and histical comments are made via headphone rather than listening to a guide, get on and off whenever you like on a one or two day ticket. Takes you to all the points of interest, for me the must sees are the Gaudi architaecture ,unfinished cathedral (Sagrada Familia), Parc Guell (Gaudi designed park),
if you into football you have to do The Camp Nou tour , it's awesome.

Food and accomodation is always cheaper if you move slightly away from the main roads but you really cant go wrong and theres loads going on all over the place.

Love the place.
Don Baterista
ishmael
SHAKESPEARO

Post by ishmael »

Full of arabs, busy, too hot, gaudi cathedral isnt even finished, so theres loads of cranes round it, overpriced, overcrowded, touristy. Nou camp looks rubbish close up, ramshackle.
blackinjac
Down In The Sewer

Post by blackinjac »

Sancho Panza wrote:Wonderful city.

If you stay around the La Ramblas (main thorughfare from Plaza Catalunya to the sea front) you can't go far wrong.

La Ramblas is vibrant, loads of tapas bars, cafes etc and clubs.

The tourist bus (Bus Touristic!) is very good and well priced, points of interest and histical comments are made via headphone rather than listening to a guide, get on and off whenever you like on a one or two day ticket. Takes you to all the points of interest, for me the must sees are the Gaudi architaecture ,unfinished cathedral (Sagrada Familia), Parc Guell (Gaudi designed park),
if you into football you have to do The Camp Nou tour , it's awesome.

Food and accomodation is always cheaper if you move slightly away from the main roads but you really cant go wrong and theres loads going on all over the place.

Love the place.
I agree with all the above . When on La Ramblas walking towards the sea , on the left is a KFC. Take that left and you will find 2-3 ' Irish' bars , great if there is a bit of sport on. If you are in a group and make a commitment to bar staff that you will stay a while you can negociate a better rate for the beer , as you will pay around 5euro a pint . Also in that direction is the Gothic quarter, with the Cathedral in the centre , stunning. The tourist bus is great , though if you want to save 30 euro a head and feel confident with the metro , you can get to all the same places for a fraction of the cost. I would agree with making Sagrada Familia a priority , it is breath taking, get there early if you want to take the lift to the roof . If you into football Camp Nou is well worth a visit , great trip round and museum visit . To give you an indication of how prices have gone up in Barca , i visited Camp Nou arounfd 3 years ago , the trip was 9 euro, i went again last year in Feb and it was 17 ! Also Parc Guell is well worth a visit, infact anywhere where Gaudi went ! Have a great time, i too love the place and am very jealous...Also get a price for a cab at the airport, i was ripped off last year, pay no more than 20-25 euro.
'Arise Sir Jet.....'
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

As a Yorkshireman I probably don't have to tell you this,
but hold on to your wallet.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Détective Privé

Post by Détective Privé »

:grin: I love that town. Been there many times. 10 times maybe... In the mid 80's it was incredibly cheap... Last time was 3 or 4 years ago.
There are many bars where you can have a drink, but my favorite place has always remained Plaza Reial, near the Ramblas, outside, under the palms. :smt030
:smt035 Many records shops (I hope internet didn't kill them) in Tallers street (and in the small streets around). Cheap prices, and many infos about gigs and clubs. That's near Plaça de Catalunya.

Gaudi ? Of course, not to be missed, especially La Pedrera, Passeig De Gracia... Beautiful.

For lunch, all the restaurants have a special "menu del dia", quite cheap, but only at special hours. Talking about hours, don't forget spanish people live in a different time :shock: :lol: ! Shops close at 13h or 14h, then re-open around 16h until... 21h (9pm) ! Ramblas are crowded day and night. :lol: Night is for having fun, not for sleeping.

Barceloneta (near the harbour, not far from the center) offers many small restaurants, and a beautifull beach. 8) :smt025
Happy holidays !
You're my incurable malady
I miss the pleasure of your company
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

This is great - thanks all.

Any more ?

Jim
ishmael
SHAKESPEARO

Post by ishmael »

Wouldnt go on in the sea, they had this like sewer pipe draining stuff out, and loads of brits on stag do's, was like Lanzarote.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I can tell you rate it highly

Jim
ishmael wrote:Wouldnt go on in the sea, they had this like sewer pipe draining stuff out, and loads of brits on stag do's, was like Lanzarote.
ishmael
SHAKESPEARO

Post by ishmael »

It's got it's good points, but I find it's better having a negative attitude to things, then things will always be better than anticipated. Gaudi's various buildings round the city are completely out there and are to be respected. It has a very cosmopolitan vibe about it, I'd take a map because it's easy to get lost (Me and my sister actually forgot the name of our hotel and got lost, this was on a night time, we were wandering around for hours) The hotel Zenit, is very posh and cheap.

The bus ride is good, especially the ascent high up above the city. It's no Dusseldorf though.
Black Leather Jacket

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

Interesting reading as I went 20 years ago and am going with my wife and daughter for her 40th on 1st October. That's my wife's 40th not my daughter! She's nearly 12 so was wondering if there's anything family orientated (especially for the evening) baring in mind it's the back end of the season and only a weekend!
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Sancho Panza

Post by Sancho Panza »

BTW Jim, you going over for Benicassim Festival next week or just a casual break?

The daughter and a few college friends are going over, 2 days in Barcelona, week in a tent at the festival and 2 end days in Barca again. Last years festival was wrecked by high winds. Got cheap digs too. Can send you info if you want.
Don Baterista