Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Facebook

Post by Manc In Black »

I spent years avoiding the pesky site
There was no way I would ever join up to it.

Then young Jim sent a challenge
Get the Stranglers back in the charts.

Well, that took up quite a bit of time & sorry when it comes to the band, I'm afraid you just have to do what you have to do.

Intrepidly I started asking people who I vaguely knew or people who I hadn't been in touch with for 30 odd years to be friends.
Amazingly they said yes.
Then people I'd never heard of but were part of the family kept springing up.

The latest thing, mainly due to my son, who is 11, is that I joined Farmville.
It's started another chapter

Hey - life keeps moving on - astonishing

You've got a lot to answer for Jim
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Facebook

Post by Organ Grinder »

Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends, share photo's and experiences. It does of course have other rather unscrupulous uses such as checking out ex's and spying on work collegues but on the whole I find it's a good thing so long as you only allow what you want people to see of yourself and don't become too relaxed with it.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Fatbusjim
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Fatbusjim »

Farmville my Fookin arse!!!!!
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I've relented and can't see any reason why I would want to join face ache to be honest, I've had a myspace a while, but I think it's a waste of space, total fucking brain drain, I am gonna do my best to resist facebook

gunna say something contreversial now, I think the stranglers have had more than their fair shair of chart success, Big Thing Coming was great 2bh, Unbroken should have been a single a lot better than the one released off Suite XVI but I'm sorry I think Retro Rockets is a really poor throw away song that belongs in the About Time era. Stranglers carry on doing greatest hits packages, charge a packet for their gigs (yeah but everyone does nowadays so it's OK). I don't rate Baz warne as a front man, I've tried, hated Roberts for years and started to appreciate him just as he left, yes its good to see JJ back on vocal duties but I'm not so convinced that the last three years of greatest hits tours and expensive festivals are all that, I prefer Hoover Dam and what Hugh does and can just about afford to go to his gigs

right I'm getting my coat I've really said a lot that probaly won't go down much better than Brown calling Duffy a biggot but that's the climate we're in.

I mean fair enoughits good the stranglers are still around but they're living off their back cat and I don't think retro Rockets was a good song, I thought it was self important. I didnt voice this at the time because I was not up for creating a stir then, I was bought the Decades Apart CD as a gift and as a stranglers collector its nice to have but that don't mean I had to delude myself into thinking Retro Rockets was any better than Amy Whinehouse right I really am getting my coat

sorry folks these friday nights drinking on ones loansome can lead to strange things
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

Wasn't this a thread about Facebook :?: :roll:

I'm sure the "let's slag off Mk4 Stranglers" and the "Baz Warne isn't very good" threads can be found elsewhere on this forum :smt011 :roll:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Blackbeered wrote:Wasn't this a thread about Facebook :?: :roll:

I'm sure the "let's slag off Mk4 Stranglers" and the "Baz Warne isn't very good" threads can be found elsewhere on this forum :smt011 :roll:

yeah sorry man a couple of drinks an all was just coz the geezer that started the thread said he only joined face ache to get retro rockets in the charts, at least I had the respect to not say how dire I thought it was when it was released and am being covert in slagging off ( and not totally more being critical of) current stranglers activities

I really should get my coat
Raven Darkholme
Rats Rally

Post by Raven Darkholme »

Blackbeered wrote:Wasn't this a thread about Facebook :?: :roll:

he's only saying what he thinks.
this whole "dont you dare say that!" thing that goes on on this forum in recent times is ridiculous.
everyone just goes over the top about small things.
years ago, i said things on here about Paul for example, and there were a few comments on what i said, none of them angry either. nowadays, HUGE drama.
basically, someone says something you dont like you can say "hey thats crap" but dont make drama of it.
people should be allowed to say whatever they want.
Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Frank Castle »

Organ Grinder wrote:Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends, share photo's and experiences. It does of course have other rather unscrupulous uses such as checking out ex's and spying on work collegues but on the whole I find it's a good thing so long as you only allow what you want people to see of yourself and don't become too relaxed with it.

Very wise words indeed,totally agree people become far too relaxed with it.Like sharing far too much personal information......mobile no,home address and the best one in my book....thats me off on holiday for 2 weeks....... :roll: May as well put a banner up saying......"My house is empty for 2 weeks,please rob it"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Frank Castle wrote:the best one in my book....thats me off on holiday for 2 weeks....... :roll: May as well put a banner up saying......"My house is empty for 2 weeks,please rob it"
Already been done through Twitter

Facebook is great for just getting in touch with folk you've not heard from for ages, or organise pre and apres gig events.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed - people can get a bit paranoid though - If you only share stuff with friends then it's probably a good way of telling those you know without having to contact each one individually.

Jim

Frank Castle wrote:
Organ Grinder wrote:Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends, share photo's and experiences. It does of course have other rather unscrupulous uses such as checking out ex's and spying on work collegues but on the whole I find it's a good thing so long as you only allow what you want people to see of yourself and don't become too relaxed with it.

Very wise words indeed,totally agree people become far too relaxed with it.Like sharing far too much personal information......mobile no,home address and the best one in my book....thats me off on holiday for 2 weeks....... :roll: May as well put a banner up saying......"My house is empty for 2 weeks,please rob it"
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Raven Darkholme wrote:
Blackbeered wrote:]

he's only saying what he thinks.
this whole "dont you dare say that!" thing that goes on on this forum in recent times is ridiculous.
everyone just goes over the top about small things.
years ago, i said things on here about Paul for example, and there were a few comments on what i said, none of them angry either. nowadays, HUGE drama.
basically, someone says something you dont like you can say "hey thats crap" but dont make drama of it.
people should be allowed to say whatever they want.
Nicely put Raven. It is a fact though that threads easily digress from the point, I'm sorry I dissed facebook, I mean everyone I know uses it, but I find the whole thing Creepy. I live in a bloody busy part of London and it seems like everywhere I go in this metropolis people are saying facebook this facebook that. It's a shame we only have virtual communities and not real ones. I find sites like this more of an expression of the real world and I get a lot more information and productive time spent here than I know I would on facebook, I do for my sins have a myspace and that's bad enough.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Bit sinister I think..creepy stuff AND it's only THE persons' view of themselves. Do agree though that it's a great way for 'real' family and friends to communicate.....if there's a considerable distance between each other.My concern is the cunts that post weekly pics and views to the world at large,have 30'000 friends but can't conduct a conversation with these people who stay within a mile radius.IF they see these people they'd rather avoid them let alone pick up a phone to contact them.Seen it in action
Now don't get me wrong,there are genuine cases but overall?....It's a farce.A totally impersonal way to communicate.
One thing though...It's gonna take over the optical world and leave Google standing.
If you don't have a Facebook account you'll be nothing.Sad but true.
Last edited by APOLLO79 on 01 May 2010, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'