Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen?

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
LUKEJAKE17
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by LUKEJAKE17 » 13 Dec 2006, 02:54

theraven1979 wrote:What`s your (and everyone elses - don`t be shy!) fave Dave keyboard moment and what`s the best keyboard. Also what other artists use some of those keyboards above and anyone using them today ?

That`s your homework for tonight Grinder. :D

Jim
go buddy go is probably my favourite dave moment. its totally wild what he does with those keyboards in that!
jj burnel finnally kills bono!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6qpRTb ... ers%201985

"ive just had earl gay and biccies at jj's house"

Mazec
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mazec » 05 Jan 2007, 18:29

About Dave's technique: Judging by his organ lines such as those on the chorus of Hanging Around and the verses of Grip, doesn't it seem like he's the fastest keyboardist around?

Almost inhumanly fast... I've never heard any other rock keyboardist come close to Dave's velocity ... not Ray Manzarek or anybody.

Makes me wonder if he was playing it all by hand or if he used some kind of sequencing to do ultra-fast arpeggios with one touch of the key.

I've been wondering about this since I first heard Rattus... has anybody got any input on this?

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 05 Jan 2007, 20:16

Mazec wrote:About Dave's technique: Judging by his organ lines such as those on the chorus of Hanging Around and the verses of Grip, doesn't it seem like he's the fastest keyboardist around?

Almost inhumanly fast... I've never heard any other rock keyboardist come close to Dave's velocity ... not Ray Manzarek or anybody.

Makes me wonder if he was playing it all by hand or if he used some kind of sequencing to do ultra-fast arpeggios with one touch of the key.

I've been wondering about this since I first heard Rattus... has anybody got any input on this?
I reckon its ultra-fast arpeggios with one touch of every key.
He wasn't called The Demon Of The Keyboards for nothing you know! :wink:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

boogiemoog
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen?

Post by boogiemoog » 20 Mar 2010, 14:31

Definitely the JD800. A nice little beastie.

I really wish Dave would Dave do a purely instrumental album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skW0yQeA2bA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFQBm5X9mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY8abmieUSE

Look out for Andy Pickfords 'Hellsgate' and you can get some great geetah sounds from that beast
Last edited by boogiemoog on 21 Mar 2010, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

boogiemoog
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen?

Post by boogiemoog » 20 Mar 2010, 14:43

BTW The Mini Moog is a nice bit of kit just as long as the bastard stays in tune ;)

burgers
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen

Post by burgers » 21 Mar 2010, 20:48

Dave now uses CME controller keyboards - these are the shiny red ones. They don't make any noises themselves but control synths in a rackmount. The one replacing the Minimoog is just a smaller CME.

You may have noticed of course, that the mad solo in Nice n Sleazy now sounds like a load of crap live. With the Minimoog, Dave had analogue controllers to change the sounds, now it just sounds like he's let one of his rats run up and down the keyboard. All the other Minimoog replacement stuff, like on Grip, sounds ace though.

He used Yamaha DX7s for a while as well, not so long ago.

Mark B

darrell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by darrell » 21 Mar 2010, 21:01

burgers wrote:Dave now uses CME controller keyboards - these are the shiny red ones. They don't make any noises themselves but control synths in a rackmount. The one replacing the Minimoog is just a smaller CME.

You may have noticed of course, that the mad solo in Nice n Sleazy now sounds like a load of crap live. With the Minimoog, Dave had analogue controllers to change the sounds, now it just sounds like he's let one of his rats run up and down the keyboard. All the other Minimoog replacement stuff, like on Grip, sounds ace though.

Mark B
Yes, I was watching him twiddle his knobs during Nubiles on the Madrid DVD last night. I preferred the sound he got out of his analogue kit in the old days, although the sound he's getting from the CME kit is getting better, but for me it doesn't have the range and subtlety of sounds as the old keyboards had. It's also about one quarter of the size - good in some ways, particularly for the crew I'm sure, but I miss him sitting above, and surrounded by, a huge set of keyboards, shrouded in a black sheet, like some mad professor at his control panel, or even some sort of diabolic preacher in his pulpit.
I've always found it hard, switching off my head and tuning out the noise

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 25 Mar 2010, 19:16

Those CME's are cheap shite, I really thought he would have splashed out on summat decent by now, JJ & Baz have decent gear, why not Dave?

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 25 Mar 2010, 20:36

I completely agree it sounds either too pronounced (like the plinky, plonk on Genetic on the recent tour ) or too synthy and fake (bordering on supermarket muzak). It's a shame cos he such a talented guy but I think he's using convenience over sound/authenticity.

Jim
darrell wrote:
burgers wrote:Dave now uses CME controller keyboards - these are the shiny red ones. They don't make any noises themselves but control synths in a rackmount. The one replacing the Minimoog is just a smaller CME.

Mark B
Yes, I was watching him twiddle his knobs during Nubiles on the Madrid DVD last night. I preferred the sound he got out of his analogue kit in the old days, although the sound he's getting from the CME kit is getting better, but for me it doesn't have the range and subtlety of sounds as the old keyboards had. It's also about one quarter of the size - good in some ways, particularly for the crew I'm sure, but I miss him sitting above, and surrounded by, a huge set of keyboards, shrouded in a black sheet, like some mad professor at his control panel, or even some sort of diabolic preacher in his pulpit.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

spinach
SHAKESPEARO

Post by spinach » 05 Mar 2012, 23:37

Around Black & White he added an Oberheim FVS-1 ( Four Voice) and by the Raven he had the 4 voice expander, It was then the Oberheim 8 voice ) That keyboard is a pain in the ass, sounds great but you have to tune 16 Oscillators all the time. It is actually 8 Oberheim SEM modules. with a primitive programmer.

The Old Hammond, Cembalet Oberheim and Minimoog were stolen on that American tour when everything got ripped off, the whole van.

They replaced the stolen Cembalet with a Yamaha CP-30. The CP-30 was the touch sensitive thing that it was hard to play songs like "Toiler" on. You can hear him using it on a live at the Apollo Glasgow radio broadcast from the La Folie tour. At that point both the CP-30 and the replaced Hammond L-100 went through MXR Phase 100 pedals, the big Orange pedal. I'm guessing this was to simulate the Leslie cabinet that got stolen. They replaced the Minimoog, and Oberheim with the same keyboards wich were still available new back then (1980/81?)

From the Meninblack till Feline tours he used to also have two EDP WASPs and an Oberheim OB-1 on stage to the left side of the Hammond. Harpsichord sounds moved from the Yamaha CP-30 to the Oberheim for a while. when the Oberheim FVS-1 monster was replaced with an Oberheim OB-Xa and then an OB-8, just after La Folie. Dave's chopped up voice on "Aural Sculpture" the single is describing his Oberheim OB-Xa. He had the DSX sequencer, and the DMX drum machine as well. That can all be heard on "Fire and Water", the complete Oberheim System. the Yamaha CP-30 was replaced with something called an "IMP Dynamic Piano" ,that didn't last too long. I just read that namer in Strangled, never saw it, It is probably a misprint of Arp electric Piano. That was a crappy instrument and probably was retired fast as ARP went out of business around that time.

Around Aural Sculpture the Hammond and the piano were replaced with two PPG Wave samplers. They did all the Piano and Organ, and a better harpsichord sound , and any Non Oberheim / Minimoog sounds. Like Skin Deep, a DX-7 in the studio, was PPG live. Dave said he toured with two PPGs because one would always kack up during the gig "It was inevitable".

The PPGs were replaced with the Akai samplers, and some sort of controller system. I think the Minimoog was replaced with a Moog Voyager. When saw them Friday he had a bunch of Yamaha controllers, but i didn't get a peak at the sound generator rack.

Blackbeered
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Blackbeered » 06 Mar 2012, 01:10

...and for your first post, that was marvellous........welcome aboard.

Haven't a clue what you are on about though :smt017 :smt102
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........

Derbyducks in Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Derbyducks in Black » 06 Mar 2012, 09:19

Very good write up... brought back some vague memories (i did have quick look backstage at his rig one night at the manchester apollo on the la folie tour..)

there was quiet a few misprints in that strangled article 'FUS' for example instead of 'FVS'... (if i remember.. years since i looked at it..) i don't think he toured with a leslie... i think the mxr pedal (bloody hard on the palm of your hand) was a fairly early addition to his rig... also the piano you are thinking about was in fact a 'RMI'... i was in soho soundhouse one day having a mooch round in the mid eighties when i spotted what might have been his FVS rig & matching analogue sequencer also a minimoog & cp30 piano.... i thought he might have traded it in for something more up to date.. although rod argent was the oberheim dealer...at the time.. i think..

thats all can remember at the moment... but i do stand to be corrected on any or all this crap i've just dredged up from the mists of time...

Cheers
David
spinach wrote:Around Black & White he added an Oberheim FVS-1 ( Four Voice) and by the Raven he had the 4 voice expander, It was then the Oberheim 8 voice ) That keyboard is a pain in the ass, sounds great but you have to tune 16 Oscillators all the time. It is actually 8 Oberheim SEM modules. with a primitive programmer.

The Old Hammond, Cembalet Oberheim and Minimoog were stolen on that American tour when everything got ripped off, the whole van.

They replaced the stolen Cembalet with a Yamaha CP-30. The CP-30 was the touch sensitive thing that it was hard to play songs like "Toiler" on. You can hear him using it on a live at the Apollo Glasgow radio broadcast from the La Folie tour. At that point both the CP-30 and the replaced Hammond L-100 went through MXR Phase 100 pedals, the big Orange pedal. I'm guessing this was to simulate the Leslie cabinet that got stolen. They replaced the Minimoog, and Oberheim with the same keyboards wich were still available new back then (1980/81?)

From the Meninblack till Feline tours he used to also have two EDP WASPs and an Oberheim OB-1 on stage to the left side of the Hammond. Harpsichord sounds moved from the Yamaha CP-30 to the Oberheim for a while. when the Oberheim FVS-1 monster was replaced with an Oberheim OB-Xa and then an OB-8, just after La Folie. Dave's chopped up voice on "Aural Sculpture" the single is describing his Oberheim OB-Xa. He had the DSX sequencer, and the DMX drum machine as well. That can all be heard on "Fire and Water", the complete Oberheim System. the Yamaha CP-30 was replaced with something called an "IMP Dynamic Piano" ,that didn't last too long. I just read that namer in Strangled, never saw it, It is probably a misprint of Arp electric Piano. That was a crappy instrument and probably was retired fast as ARP went out of business around that time.

Around Aural Sculpture the Hammond and the piano were replaced with two PPG Wave samplers. They did all the Piano and Organ, and a better harpsichord sound , and any Non Oberheim / Minimoog sounds. Like Skin Deep, a DX-7 in the studio, was PPG live. Dave said he toured with two PPGs because one would always kack up during the gig "It was inevitable".

The PPGs were replaced with the Akai samplers, and some sort of controller system. I think the Minimoog was replaced with a Moog Voyager. When saw them Friday he had a bunch of Yamaha controllers, but i didn't get a peak at the sound generator rack.
Anyone seen Sir Winkler...