Infinity

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Infinity

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Anyone see Horizon's 'Infinity & Beyond' last night on BBC2?
Fascinating stuff.
I was aware of a 'Googol' (the digit 1 followed by a 100 zero's) and a 'Googolplex' (a 1 followed by a 100 Googol's) but not a 'Graham'.
Apparently a 'Graham' is the biggest number, an upper limit to the solution of a pure mathematics problem concerning multi-dimensional cubes, and writing a 'Googolplex' would be physically impossible, since doing so would require more space than the known universe provides.
Er ... quite.
Watch it here if you have an hour to spare, I think you may enjoy it....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... nd_Beyond/

Btw anyone know anything about Telescopes? where to start?
Always wanted one and watching this prog makes me want one more so.
Cheers.
:smile:
Shush this is serious
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Infinity

Post by MULLY »

There was a question on a recent edition of QI regarding the biggest number/Graham issue and the cubes.

Never mind drugs - Maths fucks up yer heed, Eh Apollo79?? 8)
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Great head fuck of a programme. A Graham of course isn´t the biggest number if the universe is expanding because there would always be a graham + 1. If the universe is actually finite then graham + 1 = 0.

Of all the infinitive number of alternative worlds in the universe I wonder which one has played Retro Rockets the most on the radio. :roll:
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

That was really interesting, thanks for the link. 8)
Was hoping it was going to go into bubble universe theory as well but that must have been a bit of a tangent.
Not sure why Berkoff was on it though, always reminds me of his stints as an interceptor pilot on UFO or the time he was set up on Brasseye... :lol:
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

unbroken69 wrote:Great head fuck of a programme. A Graham of course isn´t the biggest number if the universe is expanding because there would always be a graham + 1. If the universe is actually finite then graham + 1 = 0.

Of all the infinitive number of alternative worlds in the universe I wonder which one has played Retro Rockets the most on the radio. :roll:

I think If I had watched this in my 20's when I was experimenting with LSD & Magical Mushrooms and all types of other various substances it would have certainly fucked my head up!
And yeah regarding the Graham, if you add to the Graham it's still a Graham innit!? so it will always be the biggest.

Which universe is playing Retro Rockets the most?
The answer to that is - 3^3^3 (number of 3s is 3) = 7625597484987 3^3^3^3...^3 (number of 3s is 7625597484987) =...g1 = 3^3^3^3^3^3^3^...^30242595069506473839565747913651935179833453536252143003540126026771622672160419810652263169355188780.

....probably.
:grin:
Shush this is serious
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

bongo wrote:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Anyone see Horizon's 'Infinity & Beyond' last night on BBC2?
Fascinating stuff.
I was aware of a 'Googol' (the digit 1 followed by a 100 zero's) and a 'Googolplex' (a 1 followed by a 100 Googol's) but not a 'Graham'.
Apparently a 'Graham' is the biggest number, an upper limit to the solution of a pure mathematics problem concerning multi-dimensional cubes, and writing a 'Googolplex' would be physically impossible, since doing so would require more space than the known universe provides.
Er ... quite.
Watch it here if you have an hour to spare, I think you may enjoy it....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... nd_Beyond/

Btw anyone know anything about Telescopes? where to start?
Always wanted one and watching this prog makes me want one more so.
Cheers.
i think there is a bigger number than "Graham" ........its a "Golden Graham"..or are they cereal numbers :roll: Sorry guys :lol:
Aye and there's also the Steinhaus–Moser, isn't that a Football team though?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moser%27s_number

M(n,1,3) = nn
M(n,1,p + 1) = M(n,n,p)
M(n,m + 1,p) = M(M(n,1,p),m,p)
and
mega = M(2,1,5)
moser = M(2,1,M(2,1,5))

Self explanatory really innit?!
Shush this is serious
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Just been t' chippy and Elvis+1 told me what the square root of -121 is/was. 8) What's the chances of that happening?
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

suchi wrote:Just been t' chippy and Elvis+1 told me what the square root of -121 is/was. 8) What's the chances of that happening?
is it 121i or 11i?

EDIT: it's 11i. hooray.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

suchi wrote:Just been t' chippy and Elvis+1 told me what the square root of -121 is/was. 8) What's the chances of that happening?

A weird thing happened yesterday, I went out to the shops and the first person I saw was a guy called Graham.
I was going to explain the 'Graham Number' to him being an upper limit to the solution of a pure mathematics problem concerning multi-dimensional cubes and that after learning about the Graham number only last night that he was the first Graham that I had bumped into, but didn't.
Shush this is serious
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Saw this last night - mindblowing stuff. Who'd have thought Grahams are named after a large unknown number ?

Scary to think that out there there are infinite cnuts in infinite forums.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:Saw this last night - mindblowing stuff. Who'd have thought Grahams are named after a large unknown number ?

Jim

:smt003
Claireinblack
kent
Dominique
Rats Rally

Post by Dominique »

theraven1979 wrote:Saw this last night - mindblowing stuff. Who'd have thought Grahams are named after a large unknown number ?

Jim
...going to infinit gigs... 8)

Dominique