ULTRAVOX! - Return to Eden Tour 2009

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: ULTRAVOX! - Return to Eden Tour 2009

Post by theraven1979 »

I notice they've done some Scottish dates - anyone catch them? Their setlist looks very tasty.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Bee
Rats Rally

Post by The Bee »

Went to see them at Hammy Odeon in '82 I think it was, Rage in Eden tour. Never been so bored at a gig.
BazinBlack
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by BazinBlack »

Yeah, I was there at that gig and I agree it was the most boring gig I have been to, It seemd to be about the fashion and not the music, it was a real sit down gig until they played Vienna when the concert started to warm up, which was a shame as it was near the end of the gig. I went because of my then girlfriend was into them, she even took (dragged) me alog to see the Foxx at the Lyceum on a solo gig and then was much better then seeing Ultravox. I took her to see PiL, we never went out after that :lol:

Bazza
Strolling along minding my own business.....
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Went to the Edinburgh Playhouse gig on the 10th April (first show). Excellent gig with a great atmosphere. Just sound as good as their heyday and you wouldn't believe they hadn't played together for 24 years!! Started with the instrumental "Astradyne". The songs I can remember were

Vienna, Astradyne, All Stood Still, Sleepwalk, Mr.X, Passing Strangers, Reap The Wild Wind, Visions In Blue, Hymn, The Voice, I Remember (Death In The Afternoon), The Thin Wall, Your Name (Has Slipped My Mind Again), Dancing With Tears In My Eyes, Lament & One Small Day. I missed a couple of songs.

Edinburgh playhouse was sold out!! (3500 seats).

Very good light show as well. The band look very old now with the exception of Midge Ure. Chris Cross is beginning to look like "Jack" the bus conductor from "On The Buses" and the wife thought Billy Currie looked like Tommy Walsh the builder from Groundforce.

Would recommend going to see them if you can. For your infromation, The London Roundhouse gig is being filmed for DVD release at the end of the year. 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks Dan - sounds great - love that setlist. Will probably just wait for the DVD at the end of the year.

Jim
dan-electro wrote:Went to the Edinburgh Playhouse gig on the 10th April (first show). Excellent gig with a great atmosphere. Just sound as good as their heyday and you wouldn't believe they hadn't played together for 24 years!! Started with the instrumental "Astradyne". The songs I can remember were

Vienna, Astradyne, All Stood Still, Sleepwalk, Mr.X, Passing Strangers, Reap The Wild Wind, Visions In Blue, Hymn, The Voice, I Remember (Death In The Afternoon), The Thin Wall, Your Name (Has Slipped My Mind Again), Dancing With Tears In My Eyes, Lament & One Small Day. I missed a couple of songs.

Very good light show as well. The band look very old now with the exception of Midge Ure. Chris Cross is beginning to look like "Jack" the bus conductor from "On The Buses" and the wife thought Billy Currie looked like Tommy Walsh the builder from Groundforce.

Would recommend going to see them if you can. For your infromation, The London Roundhouse gig is being filmed for DVD release at the end of the year. 8)
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Cheers Dan.

Quite looking forward to this now.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Black Leather Jacket

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

Couldn't go in the end but managed to get an excellent boot from Glasgow last Sat if you want me to send you a copy?

theraven1979 wrote:Thanks Dan - sounds great - love that setlist. Will probably just wait for the DVD at the end of the year.

Jim
dan-electro wrote:Went to the Edinburgh Playhouse gig on the 10th April (first show). Excellent gig with a great atmosphere. Just sound as good as their heyday and you wouldn't believe they hadn't played together for 24 years!! Started with the instrumental "Astradyne". The songs I can remember were

Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Black Leather Jacket

Actually.Got a better idea.This way anyone can download it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N48G35Q4 :smt026
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Setlist looks great! Me and me Dad are going to the Brighton date next week, should be a good un.
Rage In Eden is their best for me, followed by Vienna then Systems of Romance, then Lament and Ha! Ha! Ha!. Quartet is disappointing and the debut doesn't really work for me. Not heard the rest.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
IamCoop
Rats Rally

Post by IamCoop »

One of my best mates is John Foxx's son. When we go down the pub and have a few beers we end up singing Vienna really loud just to piss him off. ;-)
'Stranglers - Cops Set To Move'
Black Leather Jacket

Met John Foxx.A real gent.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Went to Brighton last night. Fantastic show. The band seemed genuinely moved that the response from the audience was so positive. Set list pretty much as above. Took my missus, who's from India, and even she recognised 6 or 7 songs, and really enjoyed it. New Romantic dress sense aside, you've got to admire Midge Ure. His voice was spot on, and I had no idea how talented he is on keyboards as well as guitar.
Billy Currie was great too, keyboards spot on(80s sound but less tinny), and was loving every moment of it - never seen a violin solo get a response like it!
Chris Cross had at least one hand in his pocket every time he played the synth bass, and the "Jack On The Busses" quote is spot on.
Warren Cann looked knackered by the end, and he looks/drums like Christian Slater on speed.

Only "Love's Great Adventure" was missing but nothing lost there really - they probably didn't fancy the stop/start style of the song.
All in all, a great night, and I haven't been to the Dome for 20 years - great view and sound. Seeing the Manics at the same venue in 5 weeks
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)