Doncaster 1977

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
jchm
SHAKESPEARO

Doncaster 1977

Post by jchm »

Hi there from a total newbie....

Stumbled across here as I'm researching a piece on the small but important place the Outlook Club in Donny played in the emergence of punk in 1977. I too was at The Stranglers gig in February 1977 - a mere lad of 16! I remember it vividly - the band played 'Grip' twice, and Hugh asked why the town had so many army surplus shops - "becasue they are all fascists here!" some wag shouted out from the floor !

Happy days - I also saw the Pistols play there (twice), as well as The Ramones, Talking Heads, XTC, The Jam, The Damned, The Vibrators, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Wire, X-Ray Spex, and loads of others! What a fantastic time to be getting into live music.... 8)

Cheers all
John
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Doncaster 1977

Post by theraven1979 »

Cheers John - Always great to read stuff like this. Welcome

Jim
jchm wrote:Hi there from a total newbie....

Stumbled across here as I'm researching a piece on the small but important place the Outlook Club in Donny played in the emergence of punk in 1977. I too was at The Stranglers gig in February 1977 - a mere lad of 16! I remember it vividly - the band played 'Grip' twice, and Hugh asked why the town had so many army surplus shops - "becasue they are all fascists here!" some wag shouted out from the floor !

Happy days - I also saw the Pistols play there (twice), as well as The Ramones, Talking Heads, XTC, The Jam, The Damned, The Vibrators, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Wire, X-Ray Spex, and loads of others! What a fantastic time to be getting into live music.... 8)

Cheers all
John
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"