What bands/singers do you wish you had seen live??

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: What bands/singers do you wish you had seen live??

Post by Sword sparkle »

Bauhaus seem to be still going and do a lot of gigs in the US. Do you remember the Maxell adverts with Pete Murphy on. "Maxell breaks the sound barrier" or something!?
I would have quite liked to have seen the Dead kennedys as well.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
Dominique
Rats Rally

Post by Dominique »

gjinblack wrote:Don't know why I missed Joy Division being out and about in Manchester at the time. However I did catch a lot of the above bands. Bauhaus I saw In Bradford and wanted to see them again but they'd split, of course. Ramones, saw them twice in Manchester but late on as they had CJ with them both times. Saw the MK1 21 times and that was good. 8)
I always used to say to a mate who reckoned he was a big Beatles fan that he would never have seen them live because he didn't come out with us watching the 'new' bands.
Never look back... watch them now.
Here endeth etc...
Saw the Ramones @ Rasa in Utrecht/NL in 1977, and just found a torrent with an audio recording of that gig, probably taped by somebody I knew, as Rasa at the time was a open-all-day hangout for kids who would rather be anywhere else than school. There were max. 250 people at that gig.

Same year I saw Yes in Rotterdam, yeah, I know, weird combination!
The acoustics at the Ahoy, if I remember correctly some sort of sports hall, were notoriously bad and I was cured of Yes for good.

Have a nice day!
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

XTC for me.

Mr Partridge's breakdown in '82 was a bummer (not mummer)
I've often wondered with them being regarded as a great lost english band, how many of our modern day pop stars would come out of the woodwork to see them if they did a one off gig, at say the Albert Hall? I reckon there would be queues round the block.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

The Skids and The Jam and obviously our boys in the early days.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Managed to see most of the bands that I liked but the one that got away was The Ramones :smt010
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
lost control
Rats Rally

Post by lost control »

been thinking hard about this ,seen most bands that i like /liked but these are the ones that come to mind.bill nelsons red noise ( seen bill solo ) , kiss in their hayday 77( seen 3 times), the stranglers 75-76 ( first seen may 77).
cheers dave
I WONT TO LIVE BY THE SEA
vanian

Post by vanian »

Sword sparkle wrote:Bauhaus seem to be still going and do a lot of gigs in the US. Do you remember the Maxell adverts with Pete Murphy on. "Maxell breaks the sound barrier" or something!?
I would have quite liked to have seen the Dead kennedys as well.
Yup I have seen Pete Murphy twice here in Orlando - he had a few popular solo songs here - 'indigo eyes' but i am unsure if bauhaus toured here ,its mainly just Pete Murphy
Old Angus

Post by Old Angus »

Living at the arse end of the world in the 70's, very few bands appeared locally. Actually managed to miss The Stranglers twice when the played just down the road, but I hadn't discovered them at the time. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Did manage to see The Clash, The Jam, Buzzcocks, Joy Division, but would have love to see the Stranglers in the early days, Sex Pistols (just to be able to say "I was there"), The Who, The Kinks.....
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com