Drums (advice)

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Drums (advice)

Post by Bear Cage »

My 10 year old daughter has decided she wants a set of drums for christmas (which will almost certainly be a 5 minute wonder).
I've had a quick scan around the web and seen this set from stagebeat ere
Anyone had any experience of these, or any others of the cheaper (cheapest) drum sets about that they could recommend (or not); thanks

John
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

i hope you still love your daughter after she's been banging the drums for a week :o
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

This is a tricky one.

What if your daughter really takes to playing the kit and enjoys it. That is, three or four weeks later she is still insisting on playing (and learning) and you have bought a cheapish kit that will prolly sound a tad shite in the not too distant future.

Furthermore, do you have neighbours ? Consider the noise impact on them.

Personally, I would recommend the following :

1) Ascertain if her Ladyship really wants a drumkit as opposed to say, a Nintendo DS or a bunny rabbit.

2) If she really does have an interest in picking up the sticks for some drumming and if you do have close proximity neighbours, then and budget permitting, go for an entry level electronic kit (see below). Far less noise for all concerned and some very good base models around.

Of course, if none of the above works or is not feasible, you will need to consider a prompt and efficient exit strategy.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

My own 10 year old has expressed a desire for an electric Bass guitar. I don't know where she got the idea for a bass from, and I keep trying to asertain whether its a heartfelt desire or a passing fancy. Very difficult to decide which. Thank god its not drums!

She wants a pair of Doc Martens to wear to school too, say's she wants to be different from everybody else. Can't knock her for that can I!
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Sounds like a promising youngster RavenL! :grin:

As for the drums - afraid I cannot offer any tips however, when I asked for a Yamaha keyboard for christmas at the age of 13, my dad told mum I wouldn't play the thing, that it'd be a waste of money.

7 years later I was sat behind a Hammond C3 onstage at the Jazz Cafe in Camden so don't be so sure that it won't click for her. ;)
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

ravenlunatic wrote:My own 10 year old has expressed a desire for an electric Bass guitar. I don't know where she got the idea for a bass from, and I keep trying to asertain whether its a heartfelt desire or a passing fancy. Very difficult to decide which. Thank god its not drums!

She wants a pair of Doc Martens to wear to school too, say's she wants to be different from everybody else. Can't knock her for that can I!

:lol:

Claire
Claireinblack
kent
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Organ Grinder wrote:Sounds like a promising youngster RavenL! :grin:

As for the drums - afraid I cannot offer any tips however, when I asked for a Yamaha keyboard for christmas at the age of 13, my dad told mum I wouldn't play the thing, that it'd be a waste of money.

7 years later I was sat behind a Hammond C3 onstage at the Jazz Cafe in Camden so don't be so sure that it won't click for her. ;)
Her elder sister has a yamaha keyboard and acoustic guitar, neither of which get touched, we were hoping one of the others would be interested but no, it has to be something else.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

My little lad started when he was three and I bought him his first proper kit at four and a half. It's a Mapex jazz fusion kit, where all the drums are much smaller than you would find on most kits and is a perfect size for a drummer that's growing up. My lad's now nine and the kit is still perfect for him. Even a budget kit can sound good providing the heads are decent and you have a couple of good cymbals.

Everything everyone else has said about neighbours and the tendency of kids to have five minute wonders is absolutely true, however. :lol:
bry
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by bry »

dig a bit deeper, 150 is too cheap, will fall to bits injanuary!!

remember a drumkits for life not just christmas 8)

i bought my lad one of these a few years back, and its still going strong 7years later!! (ok so its a bit like triggers brush now what with add ons and new skins n stuff!!)

http://www.projectdrums.net/?do=expand& ... ial%20Star

now look at him :grin:

http://www.myspace.com/mocyork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWZRUggi6wk
like a meteor, like to meet you!
bry
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by bry »

like a meteor, like to meet you!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I would deffo consider going for something like PaulinLondon suggested.
Or get something similar and get em connected up to your PC running some Drum Software and get her to put headphones on.
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

PaulinLondon wrote:Furthermore, do you have neighbours ? Consider the noise impact on them.

Personally, I would recommend the following : If she really does have an interest in picking up the sticks for some drumming and if you do have close proximity neighbours, then and budget permitting, go for an entry level electronic kit (see below). Far less noise for all concerned and some very good base models around.

I had an interest on that Monday morning. Could I find the sticks? Could I feck! Shame.......... they could well have been treated to my interpretation of Genetix! (poor as it its!)