Acts with no original members

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

hans
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by hans »

Alias wrote:You'll be glad to hear hans that even thought they formed in 1962, out of the the founding members of Ronnie Drew, Luke Kelly, Ciaran Bourke and Barney McKenna, McKenna is the still in the band, and John Sheahan has been with them since 1964.
Thanks Alias for the info.

They were amazing that evening.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re:

Post by parasiteinblack »

BazinBlack wrote:The Sugababes are getting close to having no original members
And now they don't. I can't believe they kicked Keisha out, it's a bloody outrage... I hope they have no future success, the bastards.

Also, add Christian Death to the list, although the first album was massively overrated so that's a good thing in my book.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Acts with no original members

Post by jason »

Jaz Coleman has said Killing Joke will continue with replacement members. Which in some ways is a nice idea that a band can continue forever but will the quality of music remain? And at the end of the day it simply won't be the real Killing Joke. Can you imagine Baz continuing the Stranglers with replacement members? I'd still be interested in them but it would not be the Stranglers.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm surprised Mark E Smith has never sacked his entire band including himself

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Thats a very tough question.
What happens when all off your favoritoe band are dead, im sure you would love to see some sort of band singing your fav tunes.
I like theses tribute bands well some and they are always genuine fans of the real band in them.
Yes i think even if no origanal members are in the band then its ok still to carry on, remember the fans put the bands were they are the fans own the name as much as the band so yes its ok by me for bands to carry on even if no origanal members left.
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

theraven1979 wrote:I'm surprised Mark E Smith has never sacked his entire band including himself

Jim
I'm sure he has done but next morning wouldn't have remembered! :twisted:
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
dreamtime101

Post by dreamtime101 »

Kind of reminds me of what Billy Conolly said about the Drifters - something like "seen them 4 times - 16 different singers!!" :smile:
PJayBe
Down In The Sewer

Post by PJayBe »

Fairport Convention, who have an original member in the current line up, but who hasn't actually been with the band throughout their history, have said that they see the band has being like an orchestra, or brass band, in that they hope the spirit will be kept going for a lot longer than it would if left with the present (and aging) line up.

You need a certain type of band and fan to manage it, but they seem to have found the formula.

Philip
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

PJayBe wrote:Fairport Convention, who have an original member in the current line up, but who hasn't actually been with the band throughout their history, have said that they see the band has being like an orchestra, or brass band, in that they hope the spirit will be kept going for a lot longer than it would if left with the present (and aging) line up.

You need a certain type of band and fan to manage it, but they seem to have found the formula.

Philip
I think Kraftwerk will be similar. It's only Ralf left after all now, and he spent 6 months out of it in 1972.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
vanian

Post by vanian »

'I have seen Marky Ramone a couple of times. The first time was at the World's End in camden with the Invaders. On that occasion they were credible. Next time I saw him it was with a bunch of nobodies in Whitehaven. He played a set of Ramones songs and it was terrible... there was a real air of desperation... an aging man in a wig listing out these Ramones classics to be played by god knows who.

It had no relevance to that great band.

If you're gonna have bands with only one original (ish) member in it, for god's sake don't let it be the drummer! '

Agreed - I saw him in Orlando at a venue that held 2,500 attended by about 40 - it was dire he would introduce the songs and then thank the sponsor of the tour in between each one - truly terrible considering the group he used to represent :smt010
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

8) What about the Drifters? Superb stuff. #Sitting in the back row at the movies on a Saturday night with youuu. . Holdin hands together,you and I. Holdin hands together you and I ah ah. . Huggin and a kissin in the back row of the moooviieess# :grin:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

I noticed that Bucks Fizz are on tour (with no originals) on a variety bill that includes the likes of Cannon and Ball. Then to my surprise, I say a counter add for the 'original Bucks Fizz' with Cheryl Baker, Jay Aston and one of the blokes.

I reckon the originals would be much better! :grin:
"Like A Force Nine Gale Of Bad Breath" Chas De Whalley Sounds

http://www.auralsculptors.blogspot.co.uk