INSPIRAL CARPETS 2008 TOUR

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Went to the gig at Manchester Academy (which is still not finished) last night and it was awesome. Place absolutley rammed and it was like one big party, everyone singing and dancing. Amazing atmosphere and the band were on top form reeling off single after single. Have to say one of the best gigs I have ever seen. A great way to (if the Manchester Evening report a few weeks back is true)bow out for a vastly underrated band.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

STEVEh wrote: A great way to (if the Manchester Evening report a few weeks back is true)bow out for a vastly underrated band.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I'm sure they'll be back :idea:
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Clint Boon was on R2 yesterday afternoon, and he was saying they're playing better than ever, and enjoying each other's company, so I can't see this being the end. He said the fact that they've all got kids now has brought them closer together, so if anything I reckon it's a new beginning and the prospect of some new material is certainly not out of the question. 8) :grin: :grin: :grin:
I wouldn't be surprised either if they turn up at some of the festivals this summer. :grin:
Incidentally, on the same show, (Sean Keaveney sitting in for the talentless Dermot O Leary) a girl singer whose name I didn't catch did a live cover of Golden Brown, and there was a bit of chat about how powerful The Stranglers were in the early '80's. 8)
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Still waiting for reports from Fatbusjim & TheManTheyLoveToHate!

How was it for yous?
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

Bit of delay in posting anything on this gig.

Was a great night again from The Carpets, they delivered everything an eager crowd expected. The whole place was bouncing again and all the old favourites were in the set.

Not in the same league as TBC when it comes to writing reviews (usually to full of Cider to remember a full set list), but was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Just a word about the "New" Academy - SHAMBLES - especially the bar. When you do eventually get served it's nigh on impossible to get away from the bar carrying three pints of the precious Apples :evil: :evil: Was there again the following night for SLF (another great night, apart from Jake's now standard whinge about stuff being thrown about) and it was exactly the same.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Just in case anyone's interested, the full set list at Northampton (and presumably the other gigs) was:

Dragging Me Down
Keep The Circle Around
Directing Traffic
Weakness
Move
Two Worlds Collide
Come Back Tomorrow
Find Out Why
Uniform
She Comes In The Fall
This Is How It Feels
Generations
I Want You
Joe
Sackville

Encores:
Bitches Brew
Butterfly
Saturn Five

My mate has written a review which is due to be published in The Independent on Wednesday. He rated the gig 5 out of 5. 8)
Will post a copy later.
:grin:
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

Must try this sober gig thing one day :oops:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Fatbusjim wrote:Must try this sober gig thing one day :oops:
No need to do anything so drastic mate! It's good enough that you post - glad you enjoyed the gig. I'll remember wot you said about the venue in case I venture up there in the future. Probably better off doing all the drinking in the nearby pubs. :idea:
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

My mate's review of the Northampton gig was published in today's Independent. They snipped it a little here and there, but basically printed what he wrote:

Inspiral Carpets Review – Northampton Roadmender 10-March-2008

As the ‘reunion’ bandwagon ploughs a relentless furrow through modern music, it is apt that the latest stragglers to re-appear were once pioneers of their time.

Pre-Britpop, Inspiral Carpets were central to the much-celebrated ‘Madchester’ scene. Unlike their fellow-Mancunians, The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays, however, they failed to fully capture the zeitgeist. Until now, that is.

“You’re looking much younger than us,” declared keyboard-player, Clint Boon, before mistakenly playing ‘Weakness’ while the rest of the band played ‘Move’. “He’s been cryogenically-frozen,” joked singer, Tom Hingley.

Time may have withered the memory and expanded the waistline, but bluster and energy formed a potent mix in an eighteen-song set.

This was palpable from the opening number ‘Dragging Me Down’ – an intoxicating stomp, driven by Boon’s Farfisa organ and staple ingredient of any Inspiral Carpet’s song.

Tom Hingley has lost none of his vocal clarity either, and in ‘Two Worlds Collide’, he pleaded, ‘What have I done with my life?’ A question fans have been asking for thirteen years.

Having once claimed that Inspiral Carpets were a ‘psychedelic beer band’, Hingley bemoaned the fact that he’d spent the day ‘dry’ before seeking the audience’s approval to open a bottle of Germany’s finest. As ‘She Comes in the Fall’ pounded into life, the audience toasted Hingley by throwing beer over themselves. It was just like the old times.

‘Generations’ may have vanished into the annals of music history, but as bass-player, Martyn Walsh scythed his fret board in maniacal fashion, the song was brought vividly back to life. Those brave souls standing within striking-distance must have seen their past flash before their eyes.

The sound was amplified by the introduction of ‘I Want You’, the result of collaboration between Inspiral Carpets and The Fall’s former frontman, Mark E. Smith. Hingley proclaimed that everyone was, ‘climbing aboard on a white knuckle ride’ just as drummer, Craig Gill set about assaulting the senses. The noise was mesmerising in its intensity.

The pulse was slowed by the encore, during which Hingley re-introduced members of the band. Finally, Graham Lambert plucked the opening chords to ‘Bitches Brew’ and all seemed calm again. The atmosphere, though, remained thick with nostalgia, and this was further elevated by the final song.

‘Saturn V’ was a top-twenty hit for the band in 1994. But judging by the raised hands and filled lungs, its position should have been much higher.
Sadly though, Inspiral Carpets didn’t quite reach those heady heights the first time around. By jumping on a well-trodden bandwagon, however, they may soon be joining the gravy train with performances like this.

8)
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Nice one :!:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Tom Hingley And The Lovers are playing a few dates in the near future. Take a look.

Looks like there is an album on the way too. Not familiar with his output away from'The Inspirals' though. Must investigate :idea:
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Re: INSPIRAL CARPETS 2008 TOUR

Post by Freddie Laker »

From the Inspirals website -
2011 sees Inspiral Carpets re-group with their original singer Stephen Holt taking over lead vocal duties. Rediscovering their garage band roots, Inspirals will be recording their first material in 15 years coupled with worldwide live concerts.
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: