The Godfathers on You Tube

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

The Godfathers on You Tube

Post by Frank Castle »

One of the greatest British bands not to make the big time,the terrific Godfathers.Found some videos for Birth,School,Work,Death and Unreal World plus some live gems on You Tube.

How this band were'nt huge is beyond me,wrong place at the wrong time maybe.I was lucky enough to have seen them twice,November 1988 at the QMU and September 1992 at The Cathouse.I remember them on the Ally Pally bill at Hughs swansong also,wish I had made the journey...ah hindsight.Sadly I remember Peter Coyne sitting among the 10 contestants waiting to be chosen on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire around October 2000,a man with his talent should have been one by then.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Great band. Used to do I'm Unsatisfied in the band years ago- with Mr.Mac on farting bass! :grin:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
themaninblack1963

Post by themaninblack1963 »

Brilliant band, I also loved The Inmates, two unrecognised bands 8)
Come on you Warriors!!!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Excellent band!

Got their first 4 albums, I know there was a 5th('Afterlife'?)..

1st three contain some classics, as do some of the recordings that never made a proper album.

Re- Ally Pally.

I actually turned up a bit earlier to check out The Godfathers but to my disappointment 'that Petrol Emotion' seemed to have moved up a slot and I missed 'The Godfathers' :!: :evil:

Finally saw them in 1992 at 'The Venue' in New Cross, London. Shit hot gig and I got to have a word with Peter Coyne afterwards.

Never knew he was on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' though :!: :shock:
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

Yeah TBC sad but true,could'nt believe it myself at the time.It makes me angry when you see the untalented bastards that make it big nowadays,and this talented mans on WWTBAM.....shocking.

You are right what a shithot live band they where,I feel very lucky to have seen them twice.....I demand they reform now.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Don't they do their annual 'Valentines Day' gig anymore?
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

Don't think they have played Valentines Day for a good few years,it was usually at The Marquee if memory serves me.
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

In fact I think they finally called it a day around 2000ish? So its been a good few years since they have played any gigs,real shame a great British band who did'nt get a fair crack of the whip.At least they have left a superb musical legacy behind....check em out kids!!!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I have most of The Godfathers albums but there's one called 'Afterlife' I think. Possibly their last album. Any good?
jcinblack
Rats Rally

Praise the Fuckin lord

Post by jcinblack »

Taken from http://www.geocities.com/marmbru/index.html

THE ORIGINAL GODFATHERS REFORM!
Legendary English rock and roll band The Godfathers are reuniting their original line-up to reissue an expanded 21st anniversary edition of their debut album Hit By Hit on January 10th 2008, which has been repackaged to include 19 extra tracks. Selected headline shows and festival dates to promote this will include their traditional Saint Valentine's Day Massacre concert at a major London venue in 2008.

Official website www.godfathershq.com coming soon.

Oh Yes!!!!!!!!!1
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Yes, very good news! Cheers for that.

......and nice to meet ya btw! 8)
johnpidgeon

Post by johnpidgeon »

Hey, if Jet (Australia) can be a huge band so why can't the Godfathers make it!
john pidgeon
brampton, ontario
canada