Gangsters of ska

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

terry
The Man They Love To Hate

Gangsters of ska

Post by terry »

Going to see a tribute band tomorrow night in East Kilbride called gangsters of ska and as you've noticed by their name they are a tribute to bands like The Specials, Bad Manners, Madness etc etc anyway i was just wondering if anybody had seen or heard of them, looking forward to it, i like a bit of ska should be a good night
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Never heard of them. Should be a good night Wasn't a big fan of the stuff back in the 80's but I've always loved a bit of the original Jamaican stuff.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I heard The Specials are reforming next year, I really hope so, I didn't get to see them when I was a kid back in the early 80's.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I never saw The Specials either.

I would gladly part with a few quid to see Terry and the boys.

I would gladly part with £1000 to see Bananarma as their support act.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Who's that then?
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

We used to go to Ska nights that were organised by the local scooter club (an organisation to which I have no connection!) and they were fucking brilliant events. Sadly missed as they seem to have fizzled out now, shame.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

ravenlunatic wrote:by the local scooter club
On summer holidays in the UK, I think it is brilliant that to this day, you still see folk in their late 40's riding up a hill as a group on their old 125 or 200 stroke Vespas. Are they old Mods at heart or just lovers of all things Vespa ?

You pass them in your whatever car and they are "phut phutting" up the gradient at 25 mph.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

PaulinLondon wrote:
ravenlunatic wrote:by the local scooter club
On summer holidays in the UK, I think it is brilliant that to this day, you still see folk in their late 40's riding up a hill as a group on their old 125 or 200 stroke Vespas. Are they old Mods at heart or just lovers of all things Vespa ?

You pass them in your whatever car and they are "phut phutting" up the gradient at 25 mph.
Yes, same thing as those old veedubs that seem to inhabit Devon/Cornwall in the summer months. nice to see a nicely restored or customised camper but complete insanity to attempt a long motorway journey in hot weather in one. I was foolish enough to once own a VW van and it was remarkable in its inability to complete any journey I attempted to undertake in it. put me off them for life.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

ravenlunatic wrote: Yes, same thing as those old veedubs that seem to inhabit Devon/Cornwall in the summer months. nice to see a nicely restored or customised camper but complete insanity to attempt a long motorway journey in hot weather in one. I was foolish enough to once own a VW van and it was remarkable in its inability to complete any journey I attempted to undertake in it. put me off them for life.
Those VW camper vans look so wonderfully iconic. I love seeing people paint them lime green with a floor brush or in whatever colour. Their trouble is that they fart-shit more CO2 into the atmosphere than a cow on curry.
steveareno
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Gangsters of ska

Post by steveareno »

terry wrote:Going to see a tribute band tomorrow night in East Kilbride
If that's @ the Arts Centre, then your only 300 yards from my house ! We're all very arty in EK !
Why, we even have blue water in our toilets.

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

There was a band from around my parts called the Gangsters, been going for a long time. Could it be them under a new guise? Ask them if they're originally from Peterborough. If it is them then they're very good.

Cheers.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

This is one band I would like to see reform. Has anyone caught Neville Staples live? He is awesome! Great to hear all those old songs live, I was into the The Specials (briefly) before I got into The Stranglers!

Jez
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....