Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

GOLDBLADE @ THE BUNKER, BELFAST 06.04.06

Post by MULLY »

GOLDBLADE - THE BUNKER, LAVERY'S BAR, BELFAST

Seen the poster for this gig when heading home from work on the bus - there was very little promotion for it. I rang the venue regarding tickets and was told it was a pay at the door event and doors opened at 8.00 pm.

We arrived at Lavery's at 8.02 and were informed by the doorman that The Bunker wasn't open yet as the band(s) were still doing a soundcheck. So we headed on into the downstairs bar, but the doorman did say he would give us a shout whenever it opened up. At about half past we were allowed up and bumped straight into John Robb at the ticket desk - £6 for five bands - :grin: not three bad!!. I stopped for a chat, welcomed him to Belfast and for the next 10-15 minutes we discussed the new Stranglers' album, the 'new' song with it's ever changing bass solo (!!), Jet's retirement and pre-destined role as band manager (double !!), the JJ/Baz Glasgow bash and his book Punk Rock.

After that we headed on into the 'arena' and up to the bar. There were only about 10-20 people in by this stage and the first band were soon beckoned to the stage. I should inform you at this point, that the stage was about 18" - 2' high - so they were able to walk across from the bar and step up onto it.

First up then were THE LOBOTOMIES - a three piece hardcore Blink 182 type band featuring a mohican-ed drummer and a skater-punk chic bassist. Very shouty'n'growly, so you couldn't understand a single word they were singing - apart from the occasional 'FUCK', but a couple of excellent basslines. Overall, pretty poor, receiving a polite but muted round of applause from the crowd.

Next up were Belfast's answer to Goldie Looking Chain!! I had missed there arrival and name due to a toilet break, but was informed they had introduced themselves as 'a comedy act!!' Backed with a beat-box/tape machine - an Ed Norton from American History X, a Chav with Burberry baseball cap and a 'kid' wearing a Budweiser box with eye holes cut out called 'Beerface' - were prowling the stage. They were also joined by another guy who came up from the audience at times to grab a mic and 'sing' selected lyrics. All in all quite amusing, with selected lyrics comprising..'rape the rapists, ass-fuck the homophobes', 'give me a buck (buck), give me a fast (fast), stop the whinin' and get the wine in' and 'record companies suck dick, suck dick. suck my dick'. My favourite song title was 'Millie Pimp'. Quite amusing but could become very tedious if they were to play any longer.

By this time, the crowd were increasing in number - out come the freaks!!Mohicans were displaying their plumage, several Teds were at the bar, a 25 stone un-spiked Mohican wearing a 'Self Made Monster' T-shirt was standing at the side and a six and a half foot be-studded, be-hoodied, 24 eye DM-ed half-brother of Frankenstein's monster stood in the middle of the floor.

Third band on the bill were THE DANGERFIELDS - I had seen this trio before supporting other bands gracing our shores and have never been impressed - the singer/drummer thinks he's an American - all 'Lets RAWK, Yeah!!' Fast and furious, very Rock'n'Roll - utter SHITE. I was amused as Mr Frank N Stein gave them some abuse :-) . However, they did play a new song I hadn't heard before - slower than the rest and similar to Jet (the Oz band not the drummer!!).

By now the crowd was at peak numbers - about 100-120 - not a great turn-out and I was somewhat disappointed.

The penultimate group were THE SABREJETS - and as they came on, the crowd moved centrestage due to their singer/guitarist being the 'legendary' Brian Young - ex-Rudi and part-time Shame Academist. I had never brought myself to see Brian's 'new' venture as The 'Jets were an out and out Rockabilly band - double bass et al (hence the Teddie Boy presence). Just as the band stared I couldn't believe my eyes. Surely it wasn't happening? - it looked as if the punks were - Oh My God, they were :shock: - even The Self Made Monster - Mohicans as well - line dancing/jiving to the rockabilly beat!! I must be getting old!! Even the Teds only stood tapping their brothel creepers. To be fair they were excellent at what they did - although I'm still not sure if I was happy or disappointed at their rockabilly cover version of The Ramones' 'Blitzkreig Bop' - including the line 'Everybodys dancing to the rockabilly blitzkrieg bop'!! As time was now getting tight - the band had to curtail their set, but finished with a blinding version of Link Wray's 'Rumble'. Brian signed off by giving a great shout out to Goldblade. Easy Greasy.

Some of the audience departed after The Sabrejets :evil: It was approaching the midnight hour and pretty soon GOLDBLADE took to the stage. They are a big band (literally), except for the mascara-ed guitarist, and the low ceiling curtailed John's usual pogo-ing antics, but his frenetic 'Ian Curtis on speed' dance moves were still evident. John was also soon berating the apathetic members of the crowd to move in and rallied 'his' troops together. It was all the usual numbers, starting off with 'Fighting On The Dancefloor' through 'Psycho', AC/DC' and 'Rebel Songs'. John was soon in the crowd, running up and down the front, hugging people, getting them to join in the choruses and generally acting the loon. He then informed the crowd that it was his mate Jessie's (singer with Eastfield) 40th birthday tonight and he wanted Belfast to sing him Happy Birthday!! One mobile call later and some rude name calling from John and Jessie received an ad-hoc birthday treat.

John was again down the front, blessing various members of the audience and invited several 'sisters' up onto the stage to dance Sabrejet stylee along with the band. Goldblade were all on good form and gave everything to the small crowd - machine-gun guitarring the front row, guitar slinging behind the head - all the old tricks. However, I think they were too powerful for the PA, or else the venue was too small, as the sound wasn't great.

Before too long they were announcing their last number - due to time limits restraints, the set was a short one - lasting just under 40 minutes. But before they departed it was a blistering version of 'Kiss My Ass' and John, with the last notes still hanging in the air, told everyone that there was merchandise available at the stall and that he would see them there. Then he was off, picking up his shirt and jumping/stepping off the stage to run through the fans to the back of the hall.

And that was that. On the way out I shouted over to say cheerio, but he was too busy selling product to the throng.

Overall an entertaining night - could have been a bigger turn-out and a longer set by the headliners would have made a difference, but all in all thoroughly enjoyable.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better