Ian Brown, WTF?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Ian Brown, WTF?

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I loved The Stone Roses but everytime I switch on the TV and I see Ian Brown performing live I have to switch over or just sit there confused and distressed. He seems to get worse and his voice is what can only be described as fucking awful.
I saw him on the recent NME awards where he received a 'Godlike Genius' award (a what?) and he was just atrocious.
There seemed to be people in the audience actually enjoying his singing, I assume they were on Morphine or some kind of 'Contentment' drug.

What is the crack? why doesn't anyone tell him to just pack it in and go and start a career painting & decorating or something?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I saw him supporting the Manics at Madchester a few years back and he was quite embarrasing really. Talk about monkey boy!!!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Gone off him really.

Bought his "Solarized" album out of interest but that is now collecting dust. If it wasn't for the very good musicians around him, he would now be working in tele sales for Adidas.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"Alright r kid wanna buy a tracksuit?"

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

theraven1979 wrote:"Alright r kid wanna buy a tracksuit?"

Jim
"It's a really nice tracksuit r kid. You can wear it all day long, whether it's h a w r t or cold". :shock:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

theraven1979 wrote: Talk about monkey boy!!!

Jim
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hit the nail on the head there, Jim!

Loved the Stone Roses but was always more of a John Squire fan meself.
"Life shows no mercy."
Little Miss Mess
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Little Miss Mess »

I saw him at Brixton Academy a couple of years back and I thought he was terrible...

I suppose Auto Tune doesn't really work for live events!

Little Miss M.
janek
Rats Rally

Re: Ian Brown, WTF?

Post by janek »

i think the problem he has is the music style ... his solo one, doesn't really suit him, his voice, etc.
i liked his first album, but i couldn't get myself to like others (although i've tried) ... some tracks were still great, but there was something out of place that was making me feel uneasy whilelistening to these records (cause i loved stone roses a lot, and ian's music was very important to me when i've been a teenager)

from his recent stuff the track i like the most is "keep what you got" written mostly by noel gallagher. it's a shame, that the one who could capture a tiny bit of roses' magic, wasn't ian really, but his fan from oasis.

but be fair ... john squire's solo stuff is something not worht a word - comparing latest albums of these two - Ian is God (i liked a bit seahorses though)
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

he's crap. nothing else to say really.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.