Guilty Pleasures

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Real One!
Rats Rally

Post by The Real One! »

I think I win.
The Ethel Merman Disco Album.

Look, I go to a lot of gay clubs and it's just marvellous dancing cheesy stuff....
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Not so much a guilty pleasure 'cos I can put up a reasonably sound excuse - I have all Adam and the Ants singles (including his solo stuff - and all the Ants albums too).

OK - bear with me here....

I used to listen to The Peel Show (77-79/80) and remember hearing the Ants first session. They did this song caled 'Puerto-Rican' which really caught my attention - it has a class line..''I'm gonna light up a beacon on that Puerto-Rican, gonna strike a match-stick on his head''...''I won't let that day go by''. :-) :-)

Anyway - after that I was buying their releases and was taken by the whole 'antmusic for sexpeople' thing and the weird subject matter of their songs - Cleopatra giving Roman centurians blow-jobs and Kennedy's brain landing on Jackie's knee!! (on Dirk Wears White Sox - a much overlooked 'punk' classic) As they became mainstream and releasing their No. 1 hits Stand and Deliver, Prince Charming, etc.. they always reworked one of their 'old' songs as the B-side - Beat My Guest, Christian Dior - songs that had never been officially released back in the day (although there is a brilliant bootleg of the Decca demos). Adam continued to do this right up to the end - man, he was one fucked up individual!!

So, there you go - thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! AAAAaaa-ha, AAAAAA-ho!! strum, strum, strum, Did you evah..
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Greenery
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Greenery »

That line about the Puerto-Rican in the adam ant song doesn't really seem "class", maybe more...um, racist....

Anyway, as a guilty pleasure I've always liked Suzanne Vega's Luka. "My name is Luka, I live on the second floor, I live upstairs from you, yes I think you've seen me before...."
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Greenery wrote:That line about the Puerto-Rican in the adam ant song doesn't really seem "class", maybe more...um, racist...."
Yeah - maybe you are right, however I still found it funny and it was not really an anti-Puerto-Rican comment when taken in context of the song, which maybe you are not aware off.

If someone who was not aware of the content of (for example) 'I Feel Like A Wog' - I am sure they would consider that racist too.

If you were offended by my comments then I apologise - I suppose everyone has a different sense of humour.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Greenery
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Greenery »

Hi Mully, I wasn't implying that you are racist because you found the line funny...But generally a lot of bands back in those days flirted with racism in some capacity or another. I don't think you would hear a line like that in today's music, which I think is probably a good thing.
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

To get back to the subject....my guilty pleasure?

Well mine has to be watching Holly Willoughby on MOM (I've got kids so I'm allowed :P ).

The French maid's outfit, the cream, the cakes.....ahhhhhhhh!!
"Life shows no mercy."
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

Oops! That's not musical is it? Sorry. :oops:
"Life shows no mercy."
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

MULLY wrote:Anyway - after that I was buying their releases and was taken by the whole 'antmusic for sexpeople' thing
Mully - IMHO, I reckon one of Adam's best songs was "Never Trust a Man (with Egg on his Face)" off the Dirk wears White Sox album. I love the emptiness of that song. I remember covering it with a band at college years ago. Still got the recording of the gig but the original version by Adam is better.........just. :lol:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

I really like 'Dirk...' - Never Trust A Man & Catholic Day are my favourite tracks on it. Recently got the remastered CD (including the singles Zerox and Cartrouble plus B-sides & others) - well worth investing in.

I was quite surprised when I bought the original LP all those years ago - as it was quite a departure from the stuff they had done for Peel on that first session. But I was soon 'into it'.

"A man and a woman...."

Great stuff.
kinski
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kinski »

Skin Deep wrote:To get back to the subject....my guilty pleasure?

Well mine has to be watching Holly Willoughby on MOM (I've got kids so I'm allowed :P ).

The French maid's outfit, the cream, the cakes.....ahhhhhhhh!!
www.victorianpages.freeola.com/images/p ... ghby72.jpg
LAIDBLACKINKENT
Down In The Sewer

Post by LAIDBLACKINKENT »

Holly Willoughby..Ding Dong
Have you all got your Crackerjack pencils
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

WHOOOAAAHHHH!! 8) 8)

Nice one, kinski. How good is that? Apologies to any ladies reading but......DAMN!!
"Life shows no mercy."