paul mccartney

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

janek
Rats Rally

paul mccartney

Post by janek »

does anybody like his solo stuff on this page ? he's one of my favourite artists, he doesn't seem to be a top bloke, but he wrote some of the most amazing tunes and words in the world ... it's a shame that after john's death his work has been pulled into his lennon's shadow.

i dig his first solo album "mccartney" - he played all instruments on it, and had shown a very diefferent side of himself as a musican. doing everything on his own was very brave.

from the 70's period i love listening to : ram, band on the run, and london town. to me these are records equally good as beatles stuff.

in the 80's he tried to do some new things, and lost the way a little bit - but still made some unbeliveably good songs. an album "tug of war" is one of his best - but it changes the mood from song to song that much that it hasn't really got it's own style. have you heard a tribute to john "here today" ? amazing stuff. i love listening to the title track, ballroom dancing (it could have appeared on any beatle album) & get it -> recorded with carl perkins - the legendery writer of blue suede shoes :)

i can recomend some of the album "flowers in the dirt" - mostly co-written with elvis costello. it's got distractions (great chillout track), great rockandroll song "figure of eight" (one of the best vocal performances i've heard) and the best song of solo mcca ever - we got married (amazing lyric, great production + dave gilmour on guitar playing the way only he can), and a quite stranglerish track, entitled in french (that's why i won't write the title )

from the 90's period - i like the live album "paul is live" with live versions of songs from the album off the ground, which's been to soft produced to me ... and of course - flaming pie - on of the best efforts of mcca. very crafted album. amazing title track, beutiful "little willow", good singles - and ringo starr on vocals on one of the songs :)

after linda's death paul changed alot, and his music did so ... his last two albums are quite diefferent, maybe not great but still interesting. such tracks like "driving rain", "she's given up talking", "vanilla sky", "how kind of you", and especially "riding to vanity fair" mean much to me.

i've seen him live once - and even talked a few seconds - it's something i never forget.

does anybody here admires his music as a solo artist also
bry
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by bry »

cant stand the bloke, he is just so middle of the road, i'm suprised he aint been twatted by a lorry or summat!

sorry
like a meteor, like to meet you!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

What is the Stranglers connection? There is one if I remember correctly. Anyone remember?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria »

theraven1979 wrote:What is the Stranglers connection? There is one if I remember correctly. Anyone remember?

Jim
A couple that I remember are that when Hugh went to Pentonville,Macca's name was mentioned as one of the Special Guests for The Rainbow gigs. And in 'Multitude of Sins' Hugh mentions that one of Macca's Daughters used to stay out late after seeing the band play but when he heard their music ,he didn't mind so much.

Cheers

Gaz
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"
The Bee
Rats Rally

Post by The Bee »

I remember way back in November '90 when I was chatting to JJ about the said McCartney replacement for the Rainbow gigs, I think it was in the Sun actually, at which point JJ said that he had not heard that and it wouldn't have happened because JJ can't stand him.
bry

Post by bry »

theraven1979 wrote:What is the Stranglers connection? There is one if I remember correctly. Anyone remember?

Jim
drugs and prison ??? 8)
Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Cola Can »

my twin was really into the Beatles and solo stuff. never really gripped me beyond easy listening.......
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jim
one I can think of is he was on the now long gone kids Tv saturday Superstore along with Neil Kinnock giving Big in America some apriasal during the bit they review this weeks singles/music vids.

I can't stand his music sorry (though Guns 'n'Roses do an amusing version of Live and Let Die and Alan's Partridge's Jet is classic) not even got time for the beatles.
McCartney is an OK bloke in some ways does a lot to help animal welfare charities which is good but essentially he's a celeb twat really
Highasakite
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Highasakite »

hes too busy checking heathers leg for woodworm to make any decent music
bry

Post by bry »

Highasakite wrote:hes too busy checking heathers leg for woodworm to make any decent music
i heard he bought her a new wooden leg for christmas, but that was just a stockin filler :shock:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Omph!!!! *Cringes*

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger »

Well I was brought up with the 'Fab Four' and my mum brainwashed me with their records (I got her back later with Stranglers stuff).

As a guitarist with some musical knowledge I appreciate the arrangements and can't play them!

Wasn't 'Frog's Chorus' the inspiration for 'Waltz in Black?! Maybe not.

Stayed up late and watched a documentary about Live 8 the other night, Macca completely forgot to introduce George Michael at the end so he just ran on stage and started singing like it was planned, bless him I know your brain goes when you get old!!
Are these the devil, are they four (again)?