XTC - The Meeting Place 2005

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

XTC - The Meeting Place 2005

Post by theraven1979 »

Just thought I`d post this here just in case there`s any XTC fans on the forum that haven`t noticed and might be interested

Taken from http://www.mourra.com/XTC/2005/themeetingplace.html

Also http://www.xtcthemeetingplace2005.co.uk/

"When?
September 30, October 1 & October 2, 2005

Where?
FRIDAY NIGHT - September 30. 7pm to 12pm at The Moonrakers (http://www.swindonweb.com/arkells/moonrakers/) The Welcome
XTC trivia pub quiz
XTC fans' karaoke
"A special performance of your favourite Fuzzy Warbles (plus a dash of XTC!) by a mystery band."

SATURDAY DAYTIME - October 1. 10am to 4pm at the Piano Bar, The Spot, Old Town (http://www.the-spot.co.uk/)

Rare XTC items displays
Buy & Sell Stalls
Guided Tour of XTC related highlights in Swindon (no visit to Andy's, Colin's or Dave's homes)
Charity auction of special XTC related items.
Presentations and talks by special XTC related guests....(!!!!)

SATURDAY NIGHT - October 1. 7pm to 2am at The Furnace (http://www.thefurnace.org.uk/)

From 7pm to 10pm. A performance of the UK’s best XTC tribute band ‘X-Static’. For more information go to http://www.x-static.org/. If you want to see what happened the last time they played in Swindon, check these photos out at September 19 & 20, 2003 - Gathering at X-static's Concert. There are lots of piccies including shots of Colin Moulding's family with Colin's son Lee on drums at the end of X-Static's Friday night gig at The Riff's bar. You can chat to two members of X-Static, X-static Dan or ColinEd. They are both available on the forum.
From 10pm to 2am, Disco!!!

SUNDAY LUNCH - October 2. 10am to 2pm at The Uffington White Horse

Bus Trip and Lunch to the Uffington White Horse (that beautiful Celtic creation on the cover of English Settlement)

Cost?
We’ll advise this later once activities and programme are finalised

Who?
Any fan of XTC and their music. So, register as a forum member today at XTC’s official website at www.xtcidearecords.co.uk, meet some fellow fans and keep up to date with what’s happening with The Meeting Place 2005."
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Caught XTC live in Portrush in late 78. They were pretty good, but unfortunately for them, they had to follow The Undertones who were miles better! XTC just seemed a bit dull in comparison, and couldn't get the audience going again after the excitement of the Tones belting out a brilliant set of catchy, rocky tunes. Andy Partridge seemed a bit bemused by the lack of reaction to them. Maybe he was a bit miffed by the Tones, cos shortly after, when he did a guest reviewer spot of new singles for Melody Maker, he gave Teenage Kicks a poor review! Seemed like sour grapes to me at the time. Never got overly interested in them. Bit arty farty for me.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They`re very pop. I find their latest stuff better than their 70s fodder (don`t mind their 80s efforts either). The lyric writing is great and they are a great feel good band - Which makes a change!

As for Andy Partridge - yeah it defo sounds like sour grapes - he`s a bit like that.

Jim
SmallPaul
Rats Rally

Post by SmallPaul »

I saw XTC at Canterbury Odeon in 1979 (or was it 1980) and managed to get backstage afterwards. Met Andy Partridge and spoke to him for quite a while. You couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Paul
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Any recommendations for albums after Black Sea? More interested in the musically interesting stuff than the lyrics.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Skylarking is their big one. Perfect for a sunny summer's day (unlike today) - Bit like Dreamtime perhaps?- Here`s my review that didn`t make Amazon for some reason:-

"Cut back to just less than 2 decades ago and I’m 13 getting seriously into music. XTC’s “Dear Godâ€
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

All of it is good after Black Sea!!

Most interesting musically is probably their "Dukes Of The Stratosphere" stuff. They tried to make out that it was an recently discovered album by an obscure 60s band. Pretty cool.

Jim
doninblack wrote:Any recommendations for albums after Black Sea? More interested in the musically interesting stuff than the lyrics.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I'd also recomend "Drums & Wires". Dave Gregory joined and the combination of guitars between him and Partridge is magnificent. "Making plans for Nigel" barely scratches the surface of it.

My own personal favourite is "Mummer" . Commercial suicide but every song is a gem.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The Big Express, Nonsuch are also worth checking out - I don`t think I hate one song of those albums

Jim
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Cheers. Will need to check these out.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

I expect the guy I sit opposite at work will have or has been asked to do something with this.
He was a sound engineer with XTC from the very beginning up until they stopped playing live.
He's told me many a story about his time with the band.
He's got more unreleased,demos,outtakes,live stuff than you could ever imagine. So much that Andy Partridge set up a meeting with him a while back to find out what he had so it could be officially released.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well there's always the upload section if he wants to upload some tracks

Jim

gizzard wrote:I expect the guy I sit opposite at work will have or has been asked to do something with this.
He was a sound engineer with XTC from the very beginning up until they stopped playing live.
He's told me many a story about his time with the band.
He's got more unreleased,demos,outtakes,live stuff than you could ever imagine. So much that Andy Partridge set up a meeting with him a while back to find out what he had so it could be officially released.