WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU LOT LISTENIN TO - When it's not the fucking Stranglers??!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Organ Grinder wrote:Enough was never said about their musicality as Morrison was such a frontman and that's a shame. Manzarek was a fucking genius in my book, keeping that Fender Rhodes bass thing going with his left hand and the Vox Continental organ going with the right. So unique.
Thats a very good point. I remember Hugh saying something similar about Robbie Krieger's guitar work and I thought at that time Yeah, that's true, the shadow of Morrison seemed to obscure the fantastic musicianship of the rest of the band. Still, I'll bet they're not too overshadowed these days. Fucken Ian Asbury! No wonder Densmore got out.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Densmore's autobiography is probably the best bullshit free book on the Doors you'll find. He dispels the myths surrounding Morrison and paints a more realistic picture of the whole Doors legacy. Well worth reading. He had a nervous rash the whole time Morrison wasa round but the day Morrison died the rash disappeared. He had to go for councilling for a while to get over the demons and must say I was very suprised when he agreed to do the Doors reunion thing. Get the feeling the guy is a little delicate emotionally speaking. Very softly spoken chap and know's where it's all at.... describes Manzarek as being some guru propagating the Morrison legend for his own sakes and that makes him sick!!
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Read it mate, cool book. Even got it signed by the man himself!
Although he took part in the Storytellers thing for VH1, Densmore bowed out of the whole Doors of the 21st Century debacle, calling Manzarek a breadhead for going ahead with it! I'll have to track down the article/letter he wrote about the Doors music being used, against his wishes, in adverts, which he is well against. Get back to you on that one when I find it again.

Update: just posted it under Perception of The Doors. Really good read as far as I remember, and the response from Tom Waits is also well worth a look too.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
lost control
Rats Rally

Post by lost control »

the stranglers - coast to coast
placebo - meds - advance copy
hugh cornwell - libi
I WONT TO LIVE BY THE SEA
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

Picked up the best of the Lightening Seeds a couple of days back from HMV for a fiver - really good. Knew half the songs, though didnt realise who had sung a couple of them, and the rest are good as well. Glad i got it.

Also picked up Joy Division 77 to 80 for four quid at Tesco a week or two back, but not impressed.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

There has been a lot of good press recently about the Kaiser Chiefs, so I have just got their CD 'Employment'. It's great to hear a band who can really play thier instruments. They have an energy that I haven't heard for some time.

The best tracks are 'Every Day I LOve You Less and Less' and 'I Predict a Riot'. Well worth a listen.
christopher
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by christopher »

Killing joke
hugh says"what ever happend to guilford high street"
Fuck knows to far away for me to see........
The Raven
SHAKESPEARO

Post by The Raven »

Im listenin 2 franz ferdinand quite a bit now. they quite gd
steveareno

Post by steveareno »

We Are Scientists - With Love & Squalor (Great band)
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Saw them last year in my home town playing to a half empty nightclub. Got a WAS badge off them too! :-)
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

HMHB - Achtung Bono
Johnny Cash - The Legend of :oops:

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
steveareno

Post by steveareno »

Organ Grinder wrote:
Saw them last year in my home town playing to a half empty nightclub. Got a WAS badge off them too! :-)
Saw them on Friday night on the NME Shockwaves Tour. They were the 2nd band on & were superb. Going to see them again in April when they tour the UK. Did you enjoy them last year ?
Artic Monkeys were really good also (listening to their album also) but Maximo Park stole the show again in my opinion. Every time I see them, they get better & better.

Lots of great new groups arund these days. It's like the good old days of the late 70's !!!

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'